EWR to Newport After Cruise

purduemom1

We will end our cruise in NJ, pick up a rental car and want to drive to Newport, RI. We will have our GPS with us but would appreciate any information or tips that will make this drive as easy as possible-avoiding the worst of the traffic and congestion. After a visit with family in CT, we will head back to EWR to fly home. We have never driven in this area of the country before but do frequently navigate LA freeways so any comments or comparison between the two? Thanks

Don't follow the GPS.

The GPS will try to route you over the George Washington Bridge.

It might seem like the "long way", but from Newark, get on the Garden State Parkway and go north until it ends. Follow the signs to the Tappan Zee Bridge, go over that, then follow the signs for 95. If you take the GWB, you could be sitting in a ton of traffic.

What day of the week and what time of day would you be making this trip? That is a huge factor. There is always traffic on the GW bridge, but there are times that the Garden State Parkway and Tappan Zee Bridge have their own traffic issues plus that route is way longer mileage wise.

I've driven the Boston/NJ route many many times in the years I've lived in New England. My preferred route would be to take the GW Bridge. If you're on the upper level, you would get in the far right lane and take the very first exit to get onto the Henry Hudson Parkway north. From the lower level, you would get in the far left lane and take the first exit to get on the HH parkway north. This parkway has a $4 toll, which cuts down on the traffic. The parkway becomes the Saw Mill River parkway at the Westchester County Line and you take exit 4 onto the Cross County Parkway. Stay to the left and follow the signs to the Hutchinson River Parkway North at exit 9. Stay on the Hutch North which becomes the Merritt Parkway when you get into Connecticut.

Take Merrit Parkway exit 54 at Milford CT to connect over to I95 to continue your trip through Connecticut to Rhode Island. You can let your GPS take over at this point.

The advantage to this route is that it is cars only from the GW Bridge to Milford CT. It is also a very pretty ride. You absolutely do not want to take I95 through New York City.

Thank you, thank you to both of you for your help. We will be making the trip to RI on Friday morning and then back to NJ on Monday morning. In the LA area, Friday is a good time for the freeways-if there is such a thing! However, Monday is the pits.

Guess I will map out the routes you suggested on a map so we have a visual to follow.

Thanks again.

Try to map out a few different routes. Then, when you get into the car on Friday morning, listen to the traffic reports (there must be an app for that, if you're equipped) then choose a route. It'll be hit or miss, really.

From my limited experience with the LA freeways, I would say they don't compare. The roads in the NE are older, narrower (fewer lanes), and squigglier ( I can't believe spel chek didn't highlight that). And we don't call them "freeways" ;)

If for whatever reason you rent a truck, you won't be allowed on the Hutch or the Merritt Pkwys. When is your trip?

Once again, CC posters come thru,! Thanks for the additional info. Will make sure we check the traffic reports-glad to know which station to use. We will be making this trip the same time as the NY Marathon although we will not be traveling on race day. We expect that this event will add to the congestion on both Friday and Monday-our travel days.

We will spend the rest of Friday as well as part of Saturday in Newport and hope to see the Breakers as well as the Cliff Walk and whatever else we can fit in before leaving for CT. We have been told that it is a bit tricky driving into Newport after exiting I95 but not sure just what that means-any insight here?

Again, thanks to all of you for your help.

I'm not sure what they meant by tricky.

95N to Rt 4 to 138E and over the Jamestown and Newport Bridges.

The tricky part could be after going over the Newport Bridge. I only visit once a year but if you watch for the traffic signs to Newport you will be fine.

Sheal

I would take I-95 north to Rhode Island exit 3A (rte. 138 east) and follow rte 138 east to us rte 1 north and back onto rte 38 east over the bridges and into newport. its approximately 12 miles shorter than going I-95 north to rte 4.

Once again, CC posters come thru,! Thanks for the additional info. Will make sure we check the traffic reports-glad to know which station to use. We will be making this trip the same time as the NY Marathon although we will not be traveling on race day. We expect that this event will add to the congestion on both Friday and Monday-our travel days.

We will spend the rest of Friday as well as part of Saturday in Newport and hope to see the Breakers as well as the Cliff Walk and whatever else we can fit in before leaving for CT. We have been told that it is a bit tricky driving into Newport after exiting I95 but not sure just what that means-any insight here?

Again, thanks to all of you for your help.

Since others have provided the routes to get to Newport. I'll provide directions from the Newport Bridge (toll, EZ Pass accepted) into Newport Center.

As you approach the other side bay after crossing the bridge, make sure you are in the right lane and take the first exit (to rte 138A/238). At the end of the ramp, turn right onto rte 138A/238. At the second light, take a right onto America's Cup Ave/rte 138A/238. Follow America's Cup Ave into Newport Center. Look for a parking garage on your right behind the Newport Gateway Center (transportation center).

SBtS

Archived