Elite - Dress Code

AMTDGT

Celebrity's inconsistency drives me crazy at times. I can't imagine being turned away from the Elite hour wearing dressy sandals!! If they just changed the wording of that letter to 'casual sandals' or 'beach/sport sandals' or something, that would clarify the sandal point.

Personally, my vote is to eliminate the code completely (save for the obvious no-no's like bathing suits). I know it's their party, their choice etc etc etc, but it would sure make life easier, especially for the afternoon events where you can't wear shorts either. They could still 'suggest' dressy casual, but let in any Elite member who showed up. No harm no foul. If the occasional person showed up in a t-shirt and athletic shorts, who the heck cares. Elite is supposed to be a level of loyalty, not a statement of how special we are (except as repeat customers) :D:D:D. Just my opinion.

Temma,

Did your letter actually include "no sandals" for the dress code? I was just curious.

If anyone needs alternatives to "sandals" for the Elite dress code, my husband wanted me to point out that the complimentary slippers are closed-toe and not on the "no" list. :p For full disclosure, we saw a man in the Oceanview Cafe one evening wearing a robe and slippers. I don't think robes and slippers are specifically prohibited, but he was asked to eat elsewhere. I'm not sure where he went (back to his cabin or outside on deck) but we watched a waitress put his meal on a tray and follow him out the door.

I never received a letter. The woman at the door who checks the sea pass cards told me that I could not enter wearing open toe sandals.

On another cruise we ended up meeting a few couples daily for drinks and talk. The time had not changed and was 4-6 PM I believe. One man came from the gym and came in with sweats and no one said anything. He'd dress for dinner at 6.

On many cruises I have run into the bathrobe wardrobe for lunch in the Lido. I must say that the bathrobe wardrobe is not something I like for dinner. Perhaps I'm not as tolerant as I'd like to be.

Temma

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from our Century cruise to Hawaii (great cruise, by the way!) and no one questioned capris or sandals in the Captain's Club. Even saw some men in shorts & t-shirts at Elite events, including the cocktail parties.

Actually, I was surprised by how little the dress code was "enforced". After reading many posts regarding dress code rules on Celebrity, I was under the impression that this would be a little dressier than what we usually experience on Royal, especially the formal nights and I found this not to be true at all. My husband wore his tux the first formal night and I wore a sparkly dress and I felt we were somewhat over dressed. Very few tuxes or suits. Third formal night, I was ill & unable to go to dinner so husband decided to change out of his tux and went to the MDR wearing jeans & Hawaiian shirt. No one said a word.

Sherri:)

That is super cool. I'm glad you guys had a great time and it's nice to hear that they were not stuffy about enforcing rules. I think dressing up sometimes is fun, but I don't want to make it a religion :)

Tom

Just back from our Century cruise to Hawaii (great cruise, by the way!) and no one questioned capris or sandals in the Captain's Club. Even saw some men in shorts & t-shirts at Elite events, including the cocktail parties.

Actually, I was surprised by how little the dress code was "enforced". After reading many posts regarding dress code rules on Celebrity, I was under the impression that this would be a little dressier than what we usually experience on Royal, especially the formal nights and I found this not to be true at all. My husband wore his tux the first formal night and I wore a sparkly dress and I felt we were somewhat over dressed. Very few tuxes or suits. Third formal night, I was ill & unable to go to dinner so husband decided to change out of his tux and went to the MDR wearing jeans & Hawaiian shirt. No one said a word.

The problem is - there is so much inconsistency that you never know for sure what to expect until you are onboard and give it a shot. Whatever the code is, I just wish they would be more dilligent about enforcing it - or don't have a code in the first place. If I showed up at the Elite event in dressy sandals and was turned away I would definitely not be a happy camper, that's for sure. I remember one time my son wore business casual to the theater on a formal night during the Captains welcome party. Or at least he tried to. He was turned away at the door. This really p'd me off as he was actually in sync with the written rules and was still turned away because that particular Captain apparently thought he could create his own rules. It embarassed him and made me angry. Not never-cruise-Celebrity-again angry, but it did put a damper on the evening. You say to yourself not to let it do so, but it is hard to snap your fingers and get over it. Celebrity really needs to get their act together on this stuff - it causes alot of hard feelings unnecessarily (for those who are not let in even though they believe they are following the code, and for those who do follow the code and then see others let in who don't). Not end of the world stuff, but cast a pall on your evening stuff.

The problem is - there is so much inconsistency that you never know for sure what to expect until you are onboard and give it a shot. Whatever the code is, I just wish they would be more dilligent about enforcing it - or don't have a code in the first place. If I showed up at the Elite event in dressy sandals and was turned away I would definitely not be a happy camper, that's for sure. I remember one time my son wore business casual to the theater on a formal night during the Captains welcome party. Or at least he tried to. He was turned away at the door. This really p'd me off as he was actually in sync with the written rules and was still turned away because that particular Captain apparently thought he could create his own rules. It embarassed him and made me angry. Not never-cruise-Celebrity-again angry, but it did put a damper on the evening. You say to yourself not to let it do so, but it is hard to snap your fingers and get over it. Celebrity really needs to get their act together on this stuff - it causes alot of hard feelings unnecessarily (for those who are not let in even though they believe they are following the code, and for those who do follow the code and then see others let in who don't). Not end of the world stuff, but cast a pall on your evening stuff.

I agree with you, it makes it difficult as well as unfair, if ships are not consistent with their policies. I would have been a little angry, also!

• 4 weeks later...
Just back from two weeks on the Eclipse. I can report that the letter from the Captain's Club made no mention of not wearing sandals to the cocktail hour. I wore sandals every evening (as did most everyone else) and no problem. No problem with capris either.

Thank you for reporting back. I leave on the Reflection on Sat and I am definitely bringing sandals!!

The prohibition of capris seems to be a one-off event but the rule against shorts of any sort seems to be equally enforced at all times except possibly on Bermuda itineraries, where i have seen thr entire Bermuda "formal" kit.... Jacket, dress shirt, tie, knee socks. Otherwise, No shorts, beachwear, t-shirts, flip flops.

The rule of no shorts was not enforced on our Century Hawaii cruise in October. I was very surprised to see several men in shorts, especially later in the cruise. However, based on info I had read here, the dress code seemed to be more relaxed than I expected it to be. My husband was not happy with me as I had told him he would have to dress up a little more and he could have been more casual!:D

The rule of no shorts was not enforced on our Century Hawaii cruise in October. I was very surprised to see several men in shorts, especially later in the cruise. However, based on info I had read here, the dress code seemed to be more relaxed than I expected it to be. My husband was not happy with me as I had told him he would have to dress up a little more and he could have been more casual!:D

We saw a gentleman asked to leave on our October Century cruise -- he was wearing blue jean shorts and a T shirt.

Is there a chance that the poster who wore capris was a man and not a woman? I do know that some men wear them although I don't personally find them attractive on any guy!:eek:

Snow bunny

Good observation. I try to refrain from style commentary, I just know they do not favor me.

Archived