Asia cruise - balcony

travel_please

We are considering the Asian Treasures in February 2013 on the Nautica. Given the itinerary and number of days on the ship, is a balcony strongly recommended? We were considering a deluxe window. Background: We have sailed on the Marina with a B4 balcony and enjoyed having it. We have sailed on Windstar with no balconies and didn’t really miss the balcony—of course the smaller ship meant that hanging out on the deck felt fairly intimate.

I think it is a personal choice

We have spent 30 days in an oceanview cabin ...it was fine

Also spent a similar time in a balcony cabin ..it was fine also

Just depends on what you are comfortable with

Lyn

We are considering the Asian Treasures in February 2013 on the Nautica. Given the itinerary and number of days on the ship, is a balcony strongly recommended? We were considering a deluxe window. Background: We have sailed on the Marina with a B4 balcony and enjoyed having it. We have sailed on Windstar with no balconies and didn’t really miss the balcony—of course the smaller ship meant that hanging out on the deck felt fairly intimate.

I didn't check where the ship was sailing to but if you are going to Japan, Korea or Beijing, it can be really cold at that time of year and you may not get any use of your balcony. Mind you when we were at the tip of South America, it was nice to have the balcony because then you knew how many layers of clothing you should wear.

However it will be pretty cool, like Korea and Japan and Bejing it may well get to freezing or below at night....and cool on the land is even colder at sea.

For me there are really not many ports or places which a balcony could be an advantage. as compared to like Tahiti, South Pacific, Great Barrier Reef, Hylong bay and the Panama canal

Thats my opinion... verandas are good for specific places not for all places. It is hit and miss.

We sailed the Nautica in her first cruise FROM Istanbul to Singapore several years ago. There were more than usual "days at sea" and we were pleased that we had chosen a PH suite. With full days at sea, it was such a pleasure to stay in - and order lunch to be served by the butler.

You may feel differently - but we felt the cost was more than worth it!!

Thank you for your responses. This is a Singapore to Hong Kong itinerary with 4 days at sea. If money were no object….. But, since it is, the question is can we save those few dollars and have a great trip in a deluxe window or will we regret saving those few dollars and wish we have sprung for a B4 veranda? Not having been on the Nautica before, I was interested in how the window cabins feel. Do you have a good view outside while sitting down or is the bottom window sill too high? I think the outside temperature would make veranda sitting a possibility but would love to have that confirmed by someone who has traveled in that part of the world during February.

Thank you for your responses. This is a Singapore to Hong Kong itinerary with 4 days at sea. If money were no object….. But, since it is, the question is can we save those few dollars and have a great trip in a deluxe window or will we regret saving those few dollars and wish we have sprung for a B4 veranda? Not having been on the Nautica before, I was interested in how the window cabins feel. Do you have a good view outside while sitting down or is the bottom window sill too high? I think the outside temperature would make veranda sitting a possibility but would love to have that confirmed by someone who has traveled in that part of the world during February.

There are no extended balconies on the R-ships

It is a personal decision

There is a window well in the C cabins (deck 4) & if you sit on the bed you can see outside ...it is not like having the balcony doors to view out of

Deck 3 cabins have smaller windows there are photos on the website under the cabin descriptions

Some people only sail with a balcony or in a PH & some are content with an inside ....where is your comfort level :)

I was on the exact same cruise on the Nautica in Feb 2011

The seas were very rough on the sea days. It was chilly. It was not balcony weather. The balconies on the R ships are like postage stamps - no lounge chairs. It is such a lovely intimate ship that you will find plenty of outdoor spaces to sit and relax outside on sea days -- and meet lovely cruisemates in the process.

You should also take into account that the R ships have an outside deck area on deck 5 equiped with lounge chairs which alieve not having a balcony.

Bill

Of course if you are in an Owner's or Vista Suite on the "R" ships you have a huge balcony ... but that doesn't address the issue of freezing your a$$ off while you are out there ...

And then there is the cost issue as well!

We usually opt for a PH but that is more for the interior room than it is for the balcony. It's true that except for the top suites, the balconies are NOT large on the "R" ships.

Mura

Of course if you are in an Owner's or Vista Suite on the "R" ships you have a huge balcony ... but that doesn't address the issue of freezing your a$$ off while you are out there ...

And then there is the cost issue as well!

We usually opt for a PH but that is more for the interior room than it is for the balcony. It's true that except for the top suites, the balconies are NOT large on the "R" ships.

Mura

Can't imagine not being able to get fresh air, privately, first thing in the morning.

If your used to a balcony I can't imagine you'll be happy on a long cruise without one.

Can't imagine not being able to get fresh air, privately, first thing in the morning.

If your used to a balcony I can't imagine you'll be happy on a long cruise without one.

It depends on the person

We have done longer cruises as I said & had a C cabin on the R-ships ...no problem for us

YMMV

Lyn

Thanks everyone for all of your comments. You all are the reason we took our first cruise on Oceania last year. I poured over these discussion boards and you sold me on it. Now you are helping again!

We are booking a window cabin. I am slightly sad about turning our backs on a veranda but will happily spend the savings on shore excursions and the spa. And, I must confess that the comments by Laraine (Pacheco18) reminded me of how susceptible I am to motion sickness. I think staying low and in the middle of the ship is the safest option. And, hey….it will force us to get out of the room and meeting fellow cruisers. All is good.

Thanks everyone for all of your comments. You all are the reason we took our first cruise on Oceania last year. I poured over these discussion boards and you sold me on it. Now you are helping again!

We are booking a window cabin. I am slightly sad about turning our backs on a veranda but will happily spend the savings on shore excursions and the spa. And, I must confess that the comments by Laraine (Pacheco18) reminded me of how susceptible I am to motion sickness. I think staying low and in the middle of the ship is the safest option. And, hey….it will force us to get out of the room and meeting fellow cruisers. All is good.

Motion sickness was a huge issue on that cruise. We had booked 7007 (one of the coveted forward cabins that is slightly larger because it has enclosed balcony space).

NEVER AGAIN. My husband could not stand to be in the cabin because of the motion. I do not get seasick but the motion was very bothersome.

We now stay midship (except on the Celebrity M class ships where we book those great aft cabins with the huge balconies -- so far so good).

rough. If money is an issue--save it. We have been there four times...always cold and rough. My husband does not travel well. We always get Vista or Owners. Now I have stopped getting Vista because of the motion. Go mid-ship and don't worry about a balcony. Last year it was so cold, we couldn't even get out--the further north we went, and I couldn't find a coat! Bring a coat.

We did a similar cruise Asian Treasures in 2010 and did a B2B. Have to say we didn't notice alot of movement and we were in a forward A3, nor was it cold til we went north of Hong Kong on the second part of the cruise....then it did get cold as in BRRR! You should be fine with a Singapore to Hong Kong cruise regarding temperatures and probably with the sea. Even though you're going "uphill, at least you're not in typhoon season.

You'll be fine with a deluxe window...lots of places to be outside. BTW, Sailing in and out of Ho Chi Min City is awesome!

Have a super voyage........Viet Nam is amazing!

Remember that verands are a means to an end, rather than and end in themselves. Thousand cruises before 2000 in cabins without balconies and loved it. I recently took an inside cabin for a 30 day cruise and that was fine. So attitude is more important than adress....you can be happy anywhere so long as you want to be.;)

As far as motion I love it the more the better, makes you feel like your at sea. Mind you I used to do off shore sailing and spent some years on Destroyers......30 to 60 degree rolls with 15- 25 degree yaw

Archived