Dress Code

Grandad

A question for the ladies .... do I really not need any 'dressy' clothes for evenings on the Quest? We have only been on cruises where we get dressed up for dinner and I'd hate to be wearing the wrong things. The term 'country club casual' is not something we're used to in the UK. Thanks very much for any help you can give.

Imagine you are going out to a smart restaurant-you might wear a dress, trousers or skirt with a smart top. That, from my experience, is the type of clothes worn in the evenings onboard. Some men wore sports jackets but a lot just wore shirts. Even polo style T shirts are acceptable.

I love getting a bit dressed up but not having to bother with tiresome evening wear.

Hope that helps.

I have a even bigger dilemma. We are on Quest in November but are doing a two week land tour first and hubby has restricted me to ONE SUITCASE!!!

A few points on this one. On our last cruise, I packed a sports jacket, tie, slacks, etc. figuring that just in case... I did dress up for our first evening out in Aqualina, I think all of us at the table for 6 did. (And if I remember correctly, DW demanded I dress up once more during the trip, dinner for two in the intimacy of one of the specialty restaurants.)The jacket came off after the first course, and I think the tie did also after the salad. I did not look out of place at the table, nor did I look out of place walking into the restaurant. The option is yours entirely. Unlike Mitt Romney's comment last night at a black tie dinner, where he stated that he felt completely at home that evening wearing the full tux, I don't wear a suit and tie when I'm at home. At work, I dress like the professional that I am. That means long sleeved shirt, tie, pressed slacks - but no jacket or full suit. That is business casual, at least in my book. I really don't think you would be particularly comfortable speaking to me regarding pretty personal stuff prior to my probing various orifices if I were dressed in a torn sweatshirt, sloppy jeans, and running shoes. Image does say a lot about you. If you and your wife want to dress up, by all means, do so! It just isn't "required". Oh, poolside - torn, old t-shirt, flip flops, damp bathing suit, all perfectly acceptable attire, even at the grill. Have a great trip!

(Last thought re: business casual. Lime green golf pants with an orange polo shirt, even with a collar, would technically qualify as business casual. But for everyone elses sake, please don't!)

Thanks for your help - much appreciated.

I guess he'll have to be prepared to pay for a lot of laundry/dry cleaning!

Glad to be of help. Don't forget there is a free laundrette on board and if you have sailed Azamara or Celebrity previously and are a club voyage/captains club member, you may get a bag of free laundry (depends on your level)

If not, I remember the laundry rates being quite reasonable.

I'll be doing my first Azamara voyage next March, so I was reading their online dress code statement. It says, under the heading Dining, no jeans in the dining room. Is that all the time, or just at dinner? I don't really think of breakfast and lunch as "dining" but I could be misinterpreting the code.

If you are eating in the main dining room, you are dining. No jeans (or flip flops, please). You can always get room service, which is really, really great, especially if you have a veranda, and be in your birthday suit if you like. Just no birthday suits in the main dining room, please. (Not too sure about the specialty restaurants though. I guess if you wear a tie, it would be okay.)

Thanks, Dr H. It's funny, one of the attractions of Azamara is the lack of formal nights, but I actually find the daily proscription on jeans at breakfast and lunch to be more restrictive as a dress code than the lines that require formal dress on occasion. Not at all trying to start a flame war here, just surprised.

Thanks, Dr H. It's funny, one of the attractions of Azamara is the lack of formal nights, but I actually find the daily proscription on jeans at breakfast and lunch to be more restrictive as a dress code than the lines that require formal dress on occasion. Not at all trying to start a flame war here, just surprised.
Unless something has changed in the past twelve months, jeans and shorts should be fine in the main dining room at breakfast and lunch. Some people here will try to impose their personal dress code preferences on you. Best to check with Azamara. Their preferences are the only ones that matter.

Unless something has changed in the past twelve months, jeans and shorts should be fine in the main dining room at breakfast and lunch. Some people here will try to impose their personal dress code preferences on you. Best to check with Azamara. Their preferences are the only ones that matter.

My DH loves the buffet and pool grill for breakfast and lunch, so I almost never get to eat in the MDR for those meals. However, while on our cruise in Feb. this year, I convinced him that the lunch menu in MDR just looked too good to pass up. He had his excuse ready, that he was wearing shorts. I insisted that we inquire at the door, and we were assured that shorts are acceptable dress at breakfast and lunch. BTW...he loved his lunch!

i saw two couple turned away for jeans this summer. i have seen men in polo shirts and real shirts.. women wear it all.

i always have a nice dressy short dress as things come up - NYE, captain table etc.. plus i like nice clothes.

We have traveled 6 times on the Azamara Line and dined often in the MDR for Breakfast and Lunch, shorts, any type of Long Pants are greated with MAY I SEAT YOU.:rolleyes:

During our August cruise we once checked the MDR lunch menu, thought it looked outstanding, and so then returned to cabin so DH could change into long pants. As we were being seated I inquired and was told, "No, madame, shorts are correct for breakfast and lunch, just not dinner."

However, when the ship sailed into Pasajes (amazing, amazing) we scurried up to Lookinglass for the spectacle. There were 4 people playing cards in a corner, and no one else. Nobody. Except staff. At precisely 4 pm hotel staff approached and asked DH to leave, as they were preparing to serve tea which evidently carries a dress code and he was in a collared shirt and shorts. Really?? He left, and returned with his calves modestly covered by long pants.

Yes, we could have easily watched from deck or even our veranda but we sort of wanted that prow-of-the-ship feeling one has in the lounge. To be shooed out of what was very nearly an empty room (and by the way, remained so for the next 30 min. which is when we left) left both of us feeling awkward and a tad resentful.

• 2 weeks later...

To their credit, Azamara continues to (delicately) refine its dress advice.

They want to maintain a modest decorum in the dining venues without offending anyone, and it can be a fine line!

That said, and this is merely offered as humour, but I now see:

az-dress.jpg

What a relief to learn that--as a man--I am permitted to wear khakis and other trousers!

What alternatives have they in mind, I wonder? :confused:

To their credit, Azamara continues to (delicately) refine its dress advice.

Azamara's "dress advice" has always been just fine. No need for any "refining." There are many other cruise lines for those who think formality adds to their cruise experience.:rolleyes:

Shorts are fine but according to Azamara no jeans should be in the DR. They do not distinguish between day and evening:

". Azamara Club Cruises® voyages have a resort casual dress code. This means there are no required formal nights, but guests who prefer to dress in formal attire are always welcome to do so. We only ask that guests refrain from bare feet, tank tops, ball caps, bathing suits, or jeans in the dining room or specialty restaurants."

FWIW, I think Azamara hits exactly the right note with respect to dress as it does with respect to alcohol. It's only natural that people would disagree here and there, but neither policy is particularly restrictive to anyone, I'd think--quite the contrary, both policies permit maximal leeway. Dress up if you want to, don't if you don't. Same with drinking. Live and let live.

OK, now I'm seeing lots of references to "collared shirts or polos" and stuff like that. The Azamara dress code states "We only ask that guests refrain from bare feet, tank tops, ball caps, bathing suits, or jeans in the dining room or specialty restaurants." I don't see an mention of collar. So please tell me that T-shirts are OK!? My SO and our two sons live in T-shirts, in fact I don't think my youngest son even owns any shirt or polo with a collar (I know my oldest has just the one).

OK, now I'm seeing lots of references to "collared shirts or polos" and stuff like that. The Azamara dress code states "We only ask that guests refrain from bare feet, tank tops, ball caps, bathing suits, or jeans in the dining room or specialty restaurants." I don't see an mention of collar. So please tell me that T-shirts are OK!? My SO and our two sons live in T-shirts, in fact I don't think my youngest son even owns any shirt or polo with a collar (I know my oldest has just the one).

My DH does not wear collared shirts to the dining room. The only policy that matters is the one set by the cruise line.

T shirts are ok per the definition you have accessed, however bear in mind the majority are in shirts or polo shirts/collared shirts/golf shirts. I only say one or two in T shirts last week and interestingly far fewer dressed like this by mid cruise.

It all depends if your family will feel more comfortable wearing what they are used to or blending in with what others are wearing - you will know the answer to that one!

You know it IS possible that a man wears a hat for religious reasons. It doesn't have to be obviously a religious hat -- any head covering counts as covering the head.

But go ahead, let someone's baseball cap ruin your evening and enjoy your outrage. Me? I'll concentrate on the food, the service, and my dining companions.

It all depends if your family will feel more comfortable wearing what they are used to or blending in with what others are wearing - you will know the answer to that one!

Oh, they are totally impervious what others wear (that includes me! :rolleyes:), so they'll be OK :cool:

Thanks for the answers!

The "no jeans in dining room" is enforced. My husband and I could not find seating anywhere on the deck during the White Party on our recent Quest cruise. After wandering around for a while, we gave up and went to the dining room. My husband was wearing dark dress jeans and was turned away. A bit annoying since the dining room was empty, and we told them that there was no seating outdoors. He ran back to the cabin and put on a wrinkled pair of kakai's. In my opinion the dress jeans looked much nicer!

Archived