Question for repeat Celebrity cruisers

Kevnzworld

i just completed my third two week Celebrity cruise this year, and I have two more booked next year.

I love the Solstice ships and I found the MDR/Blu food better than I expected, the specialty restaurants not as much.

That being said, the repetitiveness of the menus is beginning to get to me. All the ships seem to share the same rotating 14 day menus. The specialty restaurants, one static menu. It is probably more bothersome for me because I don't eat red meat, which limits my options.

So my question:

How often are the menus changed or updated in Blu/ MDR? I believe that it would drive more traffic to the specialty restaurants if the menus were changed annually.

Doesn't " Bistro on 5 " need a fresh new menu?

Is this an issue for anybody else that cruises on Celebrity?

I cruised ten weeks last year, and have two more to come, with fourteen weeks coming up in 2013, Lor' willing and the creek don't rise, including one B2B2B. Yes, the menus repeat every 14 days, but you do get a chance to try your "second choices" and even on some menus your "third choices". Also I order curries, which the MDR will make with 24 hours' notice. Often I do one of the appetizers as my main course -- they will make them up in larger sizes (or double their size, as appropriate). I'll eat interesting lunches on shore, taking in some local foods, and maybe just have pizza that night for dinner. Or I'll ask for a bowl of soup instead of just a cup.

Complete overhauls of the menus only occur every couple of years, if that often, but some main courses come and go. There used to be a squid ink pasta that's gone now, and I don't know how long the pork belly entree will be around if it's even still being offered. Less popular things are taken off and replaced with new offerings, but a top-to-bottom change will probably require a new Executive Chef. Since the last one left and wasn't replaced, who knows when that might happen.

Would love to be able to cruise this much. What I would say, as a celebrity fan, I have never had any problems with the choice. Are you able to have different choices each night in mdr. If not try buffet now and then. Allison

This made me smile because I would dearly love for this to be a big issue for me. :)

There are tweaks to the menus constantly, most minor. The last such tweak that I am aware of was in March or so to the MDR menu (added some classics back, moved away from some of the Cold soups, etc.). Menu changes are kinda like the music at the Martini Bar though. You and others think the music is just right. Many others think it's weird and loud. If they remove an item from a menu, it's bound to be someone's favorite and they'll say X is cheapening the menu.

All that said, it would be nice to see something new in the Specialty restaurants. They accomplished newness and additional variety over the past 4 years by adding Tuscan, Blu, Silk Harvest, Qsine, the Porch, Bistro on 5, and Lawn Club grill. With no new builds on the horizon, it seems to me that they'll have to consider menu changes to keep people interested. Those changes ought to make for lively and entertaining discussions on Cruise Critic.

Change in menu depends on how the Miami suits feel about the change. JVS believed in frequent changes to the menu, others not so much. I generally do B2B of 28 days or more so the menu can become a bit repetative for me. I'm a bit of a picky eater, but am willling to try something different. I have become friendly with some of the Executive Chefs and find that they are always willing to prepare something different.

Nothing written on this post is Celebrity policy, but with the right attitude we have found the staff in Blu will go out of their way to make your dining special.

Since my wife is vegetarian we occasionally run into the same problem. We have had great success when dining in Blu and with a day or two notice asking for something interesting or special. Last year the chef in Blu tried a couple of vegetarian recipes he was working on. I would also suggest again with a day notice asking for something vegetarian on a specialty restaurant menu to be made for you in Blu.

i just completed my third two week Celebrity cruise this year, and I have two more booked next year.

I love the Solstice ships and I found the MDR/Blu food better than I expected, the specialty restaurants not as much.

That being said, the repetitiveness of the menus is beginning to get to me. All the ships seem to share the same rotating 14 day menus. The specialty restaurants, one static menu. It is probably more bothersome for me because I don't eat red meat, which limits my options.

So my question:

How often are the menus changed or updated in Blu/ MDR? I believe that it would drive more traffic to the specialty restaurants if the menus were changed annually.

Hello!

You should consider joining us on the Equinox next November 13th - 12 night round trip Barcelona, then the 14 night TA back to Fort Lauderdale. Would love to sail with you again!

Dawn and Matt

Hello!

You should consider joining us on the Equinox next November 13th - 12 night round trip Barcelona, then the 14 night TA back to Fort Lauderdale. Would love to sail with you again!

Dawn and Matt

Hey guys. That sounds great. I'm scheduled to be back on the Equinox in April.

I believe that Bistro on 5 requires a total menu overhaul.

We had two very poor crepes on the Eclipse - but the salads accompanying the crepes were excellent!!

Very few guests use it - they would be better to have a more varied menu.

We do B2B's for a month at a time - we don't expect the menu to change, but sometimes have two appetisers instead of main course. Eat in the buffet occasionally in the evening - very nice up there.:D

Change in menu depends on how the Miami suits feel about the change. JVS believed in frequent changes to the menu, others not so much. I generally do B2B of 28 days or more so the menu can become a bit repetative for me. I'm a bit of a picky eater, but am willling to try something different. I have become friendly with some of the Executive Chefs and find that they are always willing to prepare something different.

We too have done long cruises. I found that if I am really bored and can think of something I want that is not on the menu the Maiter'D has asked the kitchen to make it for me. I have not done this often but I have done it.

We too have done long cruises. I found that if I am really bored and can think of something I want that is not on the menu the Maiter'D has asked the kitchen to make it for me. I have not done this often but I have done it.

They will also go off the menu in the Specialty Restaurants. One Executive Chef had a wonderful Chataebriand prepared for our table of 6 in the Tuscan Grille.

So my question:

This is kind of a side bar, but have you tried the Aqua Spa Cafe? They have some of the best offerings for lunch. Several of the ships that I have been on don't advertize the items that are made-to-order from the grill, so sometimes you have to ask what they are, but I have always found the food to be great...fresh and tasty.

The Aqua Spa Cafe menus, although limited, do see to change daily, although not on all ships. The menus do seem to be different from ship to ship though.

I hear that breakfasts are very nice there as well.

One of the nicest locations for the Aqua Spa Cafe is on the Century, which I was on a few weeks ago. Beautiful sunny room with a view...so serene, and not beside the Solarium pool :). For some reason, they also had the best coffee on the ship.

I have the opposite opinion as the OP. I only get to cruise once or twice a year (usually 7 days; occasionally 10) and I look forward to certain dishes on these cruises. I get disappointed when I look forward to a certain meal and then find out it is no longer available. I do understand the point, though, and for the sake of those who cruise often more rotation would be nice.

My remedy for normal meals day in day out is to simply ask the waiter or chef create something for me. It's not going to happen in the MDR, but in some of the specialty restuarants it is easily done. Blu, Tuscan, Grill, or Bistro on 5. The other specialty restaurants not so much, little tweaks maybe. However, one would need know how to cook to explain it to the chef or waiter. I generally like most of my food spicy with some type of meat or fish. Make a suggestion to them or let them be creative. I had an Indian Chef make me a great meal at Bistro on 5 with both of our ideas. I came back everyday so he could make me his favorites. You have to be a little daring here. Some of the dishes I did not care for as much, but hey, your on vacation, you have to take a chance sometime...

We typically take longer cruises (our next one will be 60 days). Some nights I just go for sushi and salad bar, some nights just spaghetti with butter and garlic up at the buffet at night, with maybe a chicken breast. Some nights go to the MDR and just get the soup of the evening in a larger bowl, which they usually will bring, along with a double size appetizer or salad.

We usually frequent the specialty restaurants quite frequently and they will make me anything I want within reason. I have just kept it simple, like "make me some different kind of chicken dish" and have been pleasantly surprised at the results.

I personally don't see how you can get bored with the selection in the various venues, since it is certainly more varied than my meals at home!!

Lastly, no one says you have to eat your big meal in the evening...at our house it's in the afternoon. Try eating a large lunch at somewhere different on shore and settle for a snack at night. Healthier anyway.

personally, I'm glad to hear the complaints about the menus in the specialty restaurants being boring. I'm one of the folks who believe the MDR quality will continue to decline to intentionally drive business to the specialties. I feel all restaurants on the ship should be free-- I have no problem with the concept of specialty restaurants to give passengers some variety-they should just not cost anything or at least just be a nominal charge like bistro on 5.

Sorry to raise this discussion again-- I know it is hotly contested. We sail on the Reflection on nov 18th-- I'll post about how the food is in the MDR.:(

Well, I will say that last year while on the Eclipse, there was one evening that nothing at all appealed to me on the menu. I too am a bit picky but mostly it is to due how things are at times prepared or with what ingredients are utilized - mainly bell peppers (red, green, yellow) they do not like me at all. I always ask prior to ordering if some form exists in the dish. The waiters will find out for me, usually by the second night it becomes routine for them and they just tell me right away what has and therefore I could just avoid them.

Well, this one particular night, everything from appetizer to main courses had bell peppers, and the waiter felt bad. He knew that I liked seafood, so he asked to chef to make up something special for me, which he did.

I got a magnificent assortment of broiled fish, scallops, shrimp, and even a lobster tail along with a mushroom rissoto and roasted aspargus.

The other 2 couples that were seated with us were envious. Even my DH was trying to pick off of my plate. LOL

Anyway, you can always make a request for something special or different from them. They usually will come back with something most enjoyable.

Thanks for all of the good suggestions !

It's good to think out of the box, and be creative. The one example I can give where I tried that was at breakfast. I don't like the bread offerings, there is nothing whole grain or healthy. ( their wholewheat is awful ). I asked the toaster guy , hes too busy. The area with the sweet bread has someone who will reluctantly go back and search for something ( takes forever ). Then I noticed some really great breads at lunch, whole grain, olive bread and raisin bread. I took a few slices every afternoon back to my room for the following morning.

The guy that toasts the bread was surprised when I showed up with my " special" bread !

I have never though of attempting a special order in the MDR, Blu or the specialty restaurants with the exception of Bistro on 5. I have asked for extra sauce, and I have also ordered either the pasta or vegetarian main dish as a smaller appetizer.

I think the specialty restaurants would be more " special " if they had a nightly special, and or changed the menu once a year. It would give the once a year cruisers something new to look forward to..

Kevin

Archived