Leaving tomorrow on Explorer

kaykels

I wish I was going on the cruise tomorrow; would be quite a thrill.

Hope everybody on the East Coast stays safe and doesn't incur too much hardship or damage from the storm.

Stay safe everyone. :)

Someone on our Allure cruise (Bill) is going on the Jewel tomorrow. Right now, RCCL is saying they will let them know about the itinerary once they get on the ship. I have no idea how they're going to get pass Sandy!!!

Are you monitoring Royal Caribbean's website? They have a notice as to the latest info about the hurricane.

The last update was 10am today:

Tropical Weather Update

October 27, 2012

10:00 a.m. E.S.T

Royal Caribbean International continues to closely monitor the path and progress of Hurricane Sandy to ensure guests enjoy safe and comfortable cruises, and to make certain our ships steer clear of the storm. The safety of our guests and crew is always our foremost concern.

Monarch of the Seas

Due to high winds caused by Hurricane Sandy, Monarch of the Seas' departure from Port Canaveral, Florida, continues to be delayed. Unfortunately, due to the delayed departure, and the time and speed needed, the ship will be unable to call on Freeport, Bahamas. Also, because of our need to prepare CocoCay, Bahamas, for the weather impact, Monarch of the Seas will not call on CocoCay. Once the ship is able to depart Port Canaveral, it will head out to calm waters.

Enchantment of the Seas

Enchantment of the Seas will be unable to call on Kings Wharf, Bermuda, as originally scheduled. Instead, the ship sailed out to sea in an effort to try to find the calmest seas possible.

Jewel of the Seas

Given Hurricane Sandy's current location and projected path, it is likely that Jewel of the Seas' itinerary will be impacted. We will continue to monitor the storm and provide guests sailing on Jewel of the Seas this Sunday, October 28, with additional information on their itinerary once the board the ship tomorrow.

Explorer of the Seas

We encourage guests sailing on Explorer of the Seas on Sunday, October 28, continue to monitor this website for any additional updates.

If you have not done so already, we strongly suggest guests complete their online check-in as soon as possible, including the section on your preferred method of contact while traveling. You can access online check-in at www.royalcaribbean.com/onlinecheckin

Royal Caribbean will continue to closely monitor weather conditions and will update this information again tomorrow, October 28, at 10:00 a.m. E.S.T.

Someone on our Allure cruise (Bill) is going on the Jewel tomorrow. Right now, RCCL is saying they will let them know about the itinerary once they get on the ship. I have no idea how they're going to get pass Sandy!!!

Looks like the most likely route would be to head to Canada - should be bumpy and windy for 2-3 days, but would escape the worst of Sandy. Looks like the normal ports for RCI are Halifax, Nova Scotia and St. Johns, New Brunswick. Might also have time to hit a port in Maine on way back.

Bridges are already shutting down. There are mandatory evacuations in order on the coasts of NJ. This is labeled the storm of the century. And I'm traveling with my kids. I am not excited, I'm scared to death!

Bridges are already shutting down. There are mandatory evacuations in order on the coasts of NJ. This is labeled the storm of the century. And I'm traveling with my kids. I am not excited, I'm scared to death!

Relax. Royal Caribbean has vast experience and the captains are wonderful. No one is going to put you in ANY danger. They are acutely aware of and concerned about their million and billion dollar ships, and their passengers.

It will all work out for the best.

Pick up some green apples and ginger tablets in the morning. Sometimes "folk remedies" really are the best.

:)

We're only twelve years into it and there's already been several storms of the century.

Don’t Jump to Conclusions.......Royal will make the final decision.....this is not the first hurricane they have encountered!!! RCCL is one of the best cruise lines in the world they will base their decision on what is best for their passengers,crew and ship. They will not put you in any danger....they know what they are doing! Don't show up at the port angry. They can't control the weather...but this crew will do their most to make your vacation the best you have ever had!

I think it is irresponsible that RCCL has not updated us on our a cruise situation since Friday night. I am on the way to the port and passing all of the "state of emergency" signs. Rccl said they would update at 10 am and just didn't. Thousands of us are traveling into a hurricane zone with no information whatsoever. They should have at least posted something! All of the other cruise lines sailing out of NY have updates. And RCCL posted updated for Florida departures but not the port expecting the direct hit.

I couldn't agree more. My parents are sailing from Boston today on the Jewel. I tried calling and was told to check the website as that's all the information they have. Of course when the website isn't being updated as promised how are you supposed to get information?

My father finally got a person who checked and told him that she had no updates except that the Jewel may sail early and to go to the port.

I'm continuing to check the website, but nothing is being updated.

I think it is irresponsible that RCCL has not updated us on our a cruise situation since Friday night. I am on the way to the port and passing all of the "state of emergency" signs. Rccl said they would update at 10 am and just didn't. Thousands of us are traveling into a hurricane zone with no information whatsoever. They should have at least posted something! All of the other cruise lines sailing out of NY have updates. And RCCL posted updated for Florida departures but not the port expecting the direct hit.

How are you even boarding the ship today is you have a sick child? Not sure why you would travel to the port in a state of emergency knowing you have a child with a gastro intestinal illness.

Don’t Jump to Conclusions.......Royal will make the final decision.....this is not the first hurricane they have encountered!!! RCCL is one of the best cruise lines in the world they will base their decision on what is best for their passengers,crew and ship. They will not put you in any danger....they know what they are doing! Don't show up at the port angry. They can't control the weather...but this crew will do their most to make your vacation the best you have ever had!

Thank you. I could not have said it better myself.

I am sure they are still trying to determine the path of the storm and exactly which plan they are going with: Plan A, B, or C.

That being said, they should at least put some update on their website at 10:00 ET even if the update were to say "we are still determining the plans...".

Afterall, they did say in yesterday morning's update that the next one would be up at 10:00 today:

Royal Caribbean will continue to closely monitor weather conditions and will update this information again tomorrow, October 28, at 10:00 a.m. E.S.T.

I don't have any skin in the game as I do not have a cruise impacted; but I would be frustrated if I were in your situation as well. In the end, I'm sure it will work out, but not knowing is difficult.

Someone just posted on the Royal Caribbean Facebook page that they were told to get to the port ASAP as the Explorer may leave early. This is what my father was told about the Jewel when he finally got someone willing to talk to him (other than saying "check the website").

There still is no update on the Royal Caribbean web page.

RCI just updated their important update. Nothing on the explore but the jewel won't sail until Tuesday. And see below for Ny cruisers

if it helps, this is posted on the ncl website regarding NY Harbor. What time is explorer suppose to leave?

The US Coast Guard has advised that it will close the Port of New York as of 6 pm today, Sunday, October 28. Therefore, Norwegian Gem’s arrival in New York on Monday, October 29 will be delayed and the ship will remain at sea. The Coast Guard has not yet determined when it will re-open the Port of New York. Therefore, guests scheduled to sail on Norwegian Gem’s October 29 sailing are asked to continue to check ncl.com for the latest updates and information. We expect an update on the ship’s arrival and departure times on Sunday evening.

Just got back from our Monarch cruise (port stay).

Fortunately they gave those who wished to depart the ship a full refund in the form of a voucher to be used as a future cruise.

detail:

Embarkation - normal considering the wind and rain. Suitcases arrived around 2:00 completely soaked. We complained and they offered to take all of our wet clothing to the laundry. We sent 3 full bags. They arrived back washed and pressed around 9:00 pm.

notification around 4:00pm that it was too windy and wave heights too high to depart today. Cocoa Cay and Nassau cancelled. Freeport was going to be attempted on Saturday.

there were enough people upset and complaining that they allowed people to leave the ship for a full refund or be back on board by 7:30 am.

people left in droves that evening.

next notification was supposed to be at 8:00 am but turned out to be 9:00 am.

Freeport (alternative port) was now out of the question. High waves and too windy and we weren't allowed to leave port.

Captain said they would try again around 8:00 pm and let passengers leave the ship with full refunds (future cruise voucher). Voucher in 4-6 weeks in mail

We decided to depart the ship around 1:00 pm.

I believe the ship departed Saturday evening around 8:00 for a 1 and a half day trip at sea.

My guess would be more than half of the passengers departed before sailing.

sorry this is so choppy.

bright side, my son in law won a free massage for 1 hour during a contest at the spa. He used it right before we left the ship on Saturday.

This is not RCCL's fault (with the exception of our luggage). This was a weather event that they handled very professionally.

The passengers that decided to stay were going to get a $100 on board credit. I'm not sure if they will give them a future cruise voucher or not.

Tom

actually she said "what if she is" throwing up , sick etc. she never actually said her child was sick. just sayin'.......:)

bonnie, i think you posted this to the wrong thread.

I couldn't agree more. My parents are sailing from Boston today on the Jewel. I tried calling and was told to check the website as that's all the information they have. Of course when the website isn't being updated as promised how are you supposed to get information?

My father finally got a person who checked and told him that she had no updates except that the Jewel may sail early and to go to the port.

I'm continuing to check the website, but nothing is being updated.

Update is now posted, Jewel is staying in port until Tuesday.

The ship will sail today as the storm is not slated to hit til tomorrow. That being said, this WILL be a rough ride for a while once at sea. The bigger problem may be on the return trip as the east coast could really be torn up an lots of power out while people are away. I hope everyone has a contingency plan for their house. :eek:

Archived