Machu Picchu ships tour

Hawaiidan

Has any one taken or had experience with or if Oceania offers a ship tour from Lima to Machu Picchu ?

I know on some cruises they have pre and post cruise tours sometimes.

And on an up coming cruise that even has a 3 day 2 night stay in Lima that would passeners to do it on their own.

However on the 2014 schedule they only stop in Lima for 10 hours. Do you think they will of have they had ships tours?

With the ship only in port for 10 hours, If I want to see Machu Picchu I will have to bite the bullet if I want to see the place.

Oh this is in the middel of a much longer cruise that starts in Tahiti so pre or post tours are out of the question

I can't for the life of me see how you could get from Lima to MP and back in 10 hours - it's a pretty complicated and time-consuming trip. You have to get from the port of Callao to the airport, then fly to Cuzco, then get to the train station (Poroy; 20+ minutes away) to take the 3.5 hour train to Aguas Calientes, then a 20-minute bus ride from AC to the MP site itself. Then come home in reverse. In between, you need at least a few hours to see the place.

Realistically, it's going to take most of the day just to get from the ship to MP. The site is remote, and the small tourist village at the base of the mountain is Aguas Calientes. There is no road that leads to AC - you HAVE to take the train. There is a shorter (1.5 - 2 hr) train from Ollantaytambo, but you'd still have to fly to Cuzco first, then get a driver from Cuzco to Ollantaytambo - maybe an hour to an hour and a half?

If you want to see MP it's going to have to be an overnight. You could investigate leaving the ship in Callao (or the stop prior), then rejoining it a day or two later. We have done this trip within the last year, on our own pre-cruise from Lima. It's really that time-consuming - no shortcuts! It's just not possible to do it as a day trip - sorry!

Here is more information about the gyrations involved in getting there:

http://www.machupicchu-inca.com/getting-to-machu-picchu.html

http://www.andeantravelweb.com/peru/destinations/machupicchu/index.html

10 hours is unfeasible from Lima unless you have a private plane and a helicopter. On our Machu Picchu trip, we flew from Lima to Cusco, which is the staging area for Machu Picchu, the most tours go by Orient Express train which takes about 2.5 hours to 3 hours each way. This is without considering the altitude issues - Cusco is 13,000 ft above sea level; Machu Picchu is 11,000 feet above sea leave. We did Machu Picchu as a 5 day extension to our Galapagos trip - both were great.

10 hours is unfeasible from Lima unless you have a private plane and a helicopter. On our Machu Picchu trip, we flew from Lima to Cusco, which is the staging area for Machu Picchu, the most tours go by Orient Express train which takes about 2.5 hours to 3 hours each way. This is without considering the altitude issues - Cusco is 13,000 ft above sea level; Machu Picchu is 11,000 feet above sea leave. We did Machu Picchu as a 5 day extension to our Galapagos trip - both were great.

While Cuzco and Machu Pichu are high in the Andes, not quite as high as you state. Cuzco is a little over 11,000' which Machu Pichu is a little below 8,000' still a lot above sea level but with oxygen decreasing much faster than the altitude rises, every little bit of lesser altitude is a big help.

Agree you can't do it in a day, We're doing it off of a cruise next year over 4 nites starting in Manta and joining our cruise in Lima and our schedule is still quite compressed.

And, for planning purposes, you need to get tickets to get into Machu Pichu well ahead of time. Only 2500 entries per day is very limiting.

If you have never visited the Galapagos Islands, do consider a trip there with an extension to Machu Picchu. Celebrity Xpedition offers a wonderful itinerary, great small ship, deluxe hotels and all sightseeing and expenses included. Having said that, however, we found ourselves wishing that we could have overnighted there. It was one very long day, and that was departing and returning to Cuzco. As others have said, it is impossible to get there, much less see anything, in ten hours if Lima is your starting and end point.

Harriet

Another point that I didn't notice being mentioned ...

When we went to the Galapagos (in 1989) we wanted to do an extension to Machu Picchu but the Shining Path was active at the time and we decided to play it safe.

However, all of my research at the time recommended an overnight there because you see so much more when all the day trippers are gone ...

If we were to go there today I would definitely do it as part of a land trip and not part of a cruise excursion.

Mura

However, all of my research at the time recommended an overnight there because you see so much more when all the day trippers are gone ...

Mura

Or before they arrive! We'll be staying at the Sanctuary, a hotel literally 100 yards from the entrance to Machu Pichu. We'll be seeing Machu Pichu at sunrise and our tour will be pretty much done before the day trippers arrive.

The Sanctuary isn't cheap but, for a once in a lifetime experience, it is well worth it.

Our 4 nite excursion (including the Sanctuary and almost everything else) (only a couple of meals not included) is thru a private tour operator and will be about 2/3 the cost of the ship tour which is only for 2 nites!

that from Lima it take a min of 2 nights and 3 days... That is not is not in question.

My question does the ship do a tour od several days length, which rejoins the cruise several days later?

That I am willing to do.

Seeing the air schedules and ship schedules I am wondering if, like other cruise lines, does Oceania do a tour that leaves from Lima and later re-joins the cruies in Manta or later. ?????

Because of the short time in lima I fully understand that I cant do a one day tour.

I just want to know if there is an opportunity to take a tour that is connected with the ship. A tour that departs Lima and then rejoins the ship several days later and what is the cost?.

Who is your tour operator?

download?mid=2%5f0%5f0%5f33%5f17616%5fAL%2fVimIAAElqUHL%2f%2fgTEBmJYpqE&pid=2&fid=World%2520Cruise&inline=1&appid=YahooMailRC

Thomas Adams, Your Travel Designer

USA/Canada Toll Free: 800-986-4150

USA Phone: 561-283-1727

Perú Phone: 51-984-116-839

Email: thomas@kuodatravel.com

Our Facebook I Our Twitter I Our Blog I Meet Us!

Kuoda is a proud member of ASTA and LATA

Above is who we are working with. Thomas is actually an Englishman and their office is in Cuzco with a location in Florida for administrative. Very accommodating and worked with us to make the excursion what we wanted. Responses were very quick and changes as required were made seamlessly. Can't wait for the tour come January.

The Sanctuary isn't cheap but, for a once in a lifetime experience, it is well worth it.

Agree completely. We stayed there last year. Nothing better than getting into the site early, before the huge bus tours arrive, and also being able to stay late after they leave. :)

Plus, the included meals and wine were pretty good too!

We did the Celebrity Xpedition with Machu Picchu extension. Our MP tour was really outstanding. However, I recommend to everyone that they do the tour privately with the inclusion of a stay at the sanctuary. We were lucky in that our 5 hours at MP coincided with a break in the weather. Having done MP, I really recommend staying at the sanctuary and seeing MP at sunrise/sunset and getting the extra time at the main sight.

Has any one taken or had experience with or if Oceania offers a ship tour from Lima to Machu Picchu ?

I know on some cruises they have pre and post cruise tours sometimes.

And on an up coming cruise that even has a 3 day 2 night stay in Lima that would passeners to do it on their own.

However on the 2014 schedule they only stop in Lima for 10 hours. Do you think they will of have they had ships tours?

With the ship only in port for 10 hours, If I want to see Machu Picchu I will have to bite the bullet if I want to see the place.

Oh this is in the middel of a much longer cruise that starts in Tahiti so pre or post tours are out of the question

Dan -- if they do they would debark at Lima and meet the ship in Ecuador.

You can also arrange a private tour along the same lines. You just have to get Oceania's OK to do so.

Or before they arrive! We'll be staying at the Sanctuary, a hotel literally 100 yards from the entrance to Machu Pichu. We'll be seeing Machu Pichu at sunrise and our tour will be pretty much done before the day trippers arrive.

The Sanctuary isn't cheap but, for a once in a lifetime experience, it is well worth it."

rallydave.....I agree with you however I was surprised how many people hiked up to the entrance BEFORE the tour coaches arrived. I was awoken about 4 am by the people chattering outside of the hotel lining up at the entrance ticket office. When we quickly dressed and joined the line there must have been 200 people there, all had hiked from the village. Not a lot that was a problem....I was just surprised.

Walking into the MP site as dawn is breaking is breathtaking......one of my 5 wow! experiences out of 40 years of travelling.

Of the benifit of getting to be in the first bus up the hill from Aguas Calliente. I also know of the Sanctuary lodge, Howerver, I also know that there are over 3 other 4 star or better hotels that are just as good and over 7 other 2 and 3 star places. You dont have to pay the $900 a night at the Santuary ( which is owned by Orient express co as is the Hiram Bigham train. I found on trip advisor lots of nice places in the under $200 range.. Its only going to be for a nights sleep and a shower... I dont see spending a grand as productive.

Too , my research has told me that it is far better to , on arrival in Cusco airport to take a taxi direct not to Cusco but 45 min to Ollyantambo where they have vista dome trains every 2 hours to Aguas Calliente.

SO it is very easy to fly from Lima and cab and train to get to a hotel in the sacred valley in time to get a ticket for the next morning to be first in.

This totaly skips Cusco.... except to fly into and out of.

If any one has taken a mid cruise trip rather than a pre or post tour.

I know how to do it. however myself however the flights to get back are complex and Id like to avoid that. To me what celeb or Holland or any other line does is not important... but thanks

I did look at the Lima to NY in 13 sailing but its offered as a or pre cruise tour, Lima to Lima. I would need a Lima to Manta or Quito ( which is 180 miles from the port... lots of connections,

Have you calculated in adjusting to the altitude.

just curious.

We are doing it post cruise after our Jan 5th sailing.

All of our research and talking to people who have done it either as young backpackers in excellent shape to those staying at the Sanctuary with all of their luggage etc being taken care of by others.

said over and over again allow at least one night in Cusco after flying in, to deal with adjusting to the altitude

Looking to do MP post Tahiti/Lima cruise in April. The altitude is obvious and yet I wonder. Last July we spent five days at 10,400 feet above Black Hawk in Colorado and except for hiking up a steep trail felt nothing out of the ordinary.. Considering we live forty feet above sea level one would expect some discomfort.

Our 4 nite excursion (including the Sanctuary and almost everything else) (only a couple of meals not included) is thru a private tour operator and will be about 2/3 the cost of the ship tour which is only for 2 nites!

You mention Oceania MP tour is two nights so I assume you are referring to time spent in Cusco. There is a third hotel night on return to Lima. If tour you are taking is four nights in Cusco area and including one at Sancturay it is indeed a better deal. :)

Have you calculated in adjusting to the altitude.

just curious.

We are doing it post cruise after our Jan 5th sailing.

All of our research and talking to people who have done it either as young backpackers in excellent shape to those staying at the Sanctuary with all of their luggage etc being taken care of by others.

said over and over again allow at least one night in Cusco after flying in, to deal with adjusting to the altitude

Ok for me 11 to 12000 is no problem I don t start to feel any thing till about 15000.... but never mind. ( work frequent between 8 and 11)

Aguas Calliente is at 6000 ft and Machu Picchu is 7400-7800 ft all not a problem unless you have medical issues

I only use Diamox above 11 because it has a side effect of making your kidneys work over time !! I did some clinical trials and know the + and - of the drug. You need a macho bladder.... if you take Diamox

Cusco is at 11000... but you do not need to stay there.

On arrival Cusco airport, as mentioned, you grab a cab which takes you 45 min to Ollyantambo at 6800 ft... then every 2 hours there is a vista dome train to Aguas Callente..

As far as luggage that stays on the ship and I will travel with a day pack, ultra lite as a carry-on. Underware, a change of sox and shaving.first aid kit is all you need. and maybe a spare shirt.

Now .spending 8 hours at 6000 ft is going to be by morning get you all set for even 9000 ft. Then your next hours in the Picchu will get you comfortable for up to 11500. because you spend much of the day at 7500+

3000 ft units at a time is how the body adapts,, I used to do a lot of high altitude mountaneering up to 18000 ft so I rely on this rule..it works

So, all the fear and hype about altitude can be totaly avoided if you follow the plan I have outlined...

Now all that said, computing all the ship schedules . flights and all the tricks you can immigine, doing a lima Cusco-lima-Manta/Quito to meet the ship in a 3 day period is not possible at any price and a ship charter flight is the only way I can plan...

dont be scared bu altitude....you can avoid any effect if you plan :cool:

You mention Oceania MP tour is two nights so I assume you are referring to time spent in Cusco. There is a third hotel night on return to Lima. If tour you are taking is four nights in Cusco area and including one at Sancturay it is indeed a better deal. :)

Didn't mean to imply that we will be on O. Will be on another cruise line coming from the Panama Canal and we will get off the ship in Manta, be driven to Guayaquil for the nite, next day fly thru Lima to Cuzco, spend the nite in Cuzco and next day after touring, take the train to Machu Pichu to spend the nite and next day tour MP early, take an afternoon train back to Cuzco for the nite and the next day fly to Lima and get transferred to the ship which takes two sea days to Lima and overnights in Lima

Our cruise line charges about $3300 and leaves Lima the first day there, and returns after 2 nites in Cuzco, one nite before MP and one nite after with a long day up and back to MP. The tour then meets the ship after a 4 hour bus ride to the port after Lima further down the coast in Peru. Our tour including the Sanctuary and the extra flight from Guayaquil is about $2K per person and we only have 8 people with two full days of our own private guide vs. probably 50 people per guide on the ships tour. This tells you how much the cruise line is making over the actual cost of the tour. Our tour company will customize the tour for you based on how many days you have and with their main office in Cuzco, help with any issues is close at hand. For full disclosure, we won't have anyone with us on our flights to and from Cuzco but, will have people taking us to and picking us from the airports. We do have to change planes in Lima on our own but, all of us are seasoned travelers and we have almost 3 hours between flights so no problems. It's going to be a wonderful tour.

I posted the tour operator in an earlier post if you want to contact them. I get nothing for referring you except the satisfaction of helping other cruisers have a better tour at a lower cost.

The funny thing about altitude sickness is that you can't predict whom it will effect. A young, athletic friend of mine went to Machu Picchu with her overweight, chain-smoking mother last year. Guess which one became seriously ill?

Didn't mean to imply that we will be on O. Will be on another cruise line coming from the Panama Canal and we will get off the ship in Manta, be driven to Guayaquil for the nite, next day fly thru Lima to Cuzco, spend the nite in Cuzco and next day after touring, take the train to Machu Pichu to spend the nite and next day tour MP early, take an afternoon train back to Cuzco for the nite and the next day fly to Lima and get transferred to the ship which takes two sea days to Lima and overnights in Lima

Our cruise line charges about $3300 and leaves Lima the first day there, and returns after 2 nites in Cuzco, one nite before MP and one nite after with a long day up and back to MP. The tour then meets the ship after a 4 hour bus ride to the port after Lima further down the coast in Peru. Our tour including the Sanctuary and the extra flight from Guayaquil is about $2K per person and we only have 8 people with two full days of our own private guide vs. probably 50 people per guide on the ships tour. This tells you how much the cruise line is making over the actual cost of the tour. Our tour company will customize the tour for you based on how many days you have and with their main office in Cuzco, help with any issues is close at hand. For full disclosure, we won't have anyone with us on our flights to and from Cuzco but, will have people taking us to and picking us from the airports. We do have to change planes in Lima on our own but, all of us are seasoned travelers and we have almost 3 hours between flights so no problems. It's going to be a wonderful tour.

I posted the tour operator in an earlier post if you want to contact them. I get nothing for referring you except the satisfaction of helping other cruisers have a better tour at a lower cost.

Excellent. Mahalo.

We will have a much easier time as the ship overnights in Lima where we disembark. I have emailed your contact. Oceania is asking 2K for the three night tour. This includes tranfers, air, train , hotels and meals in Cuzco including a buffet lunch at Sanctuary. If we stay with Oceania we do save the $150 air deveation fee we would incur if we did a private tour but that is small change in the magnitude of visiting Machu Piccu once in a lidetime. I am well aware of the profit built into ANY tour operated by ANY cruise line and stay clear. I was thinking of making an exception here for peace of mind and leaving every detail to O. I think O does limit this tour to a small number and we are guided so the large bus isn't a problem. Our party is four. I have read early May is usually dry and before the thousnads decend on MP.:)

HAPE HACE and AMS are relative predictable with patients suffering from COPD and Anemia. Too those patients with other systemic cardiac and pulmonary problems.

I highly suspect that your young athelete over did it and thought they had an advantage,.."I can handle it I am in shape". Overconfident is not good

Whereas, the overweight smoker, took it slow and thus experienced no effects. The smoking might too have increased her hemoglobin count and ability through smoking ( I know sounds crazy) to deal with lower o2 levers far better than the super athelete system.. who needed high o2 levels and exchanges.

As I said before taking altitude increases in 3000 ft blocks of 8 hour duration is what experience has proven works The flight to Cusco will be pressurized to 6000 ft for 1.5 hours helping you. Most people begin to feel a slight effect at 10,000 to 10,500 But if properly done a trip to Machu Picchu will never experience long term exposure to anything more than 6000 ft !

Archived