"LIVE" from Freedom of the Seas / Nov 4, 2012

Radio

Hello everyone. . . Cruise day is approaching quickly. . .We sail tomorrow ! The forecast for today is sunny with warm temps at 80F. It looks like we may have another beautiful day.

The local papers and news have all discussed the big news about Shuttle Atlantis moving to the Kennedy Space Center yesterday. It has really been a tremendous undertaking to get Atlantis moved. It is only about 10 miles from the Vehicle assembly Building to the Visitors Center, but to get her just 10 miles there was a lot of preparation. Over 120 light poles were removed. . .23 Traffic signals, and 56 traffic signs were removed. She is currently now in the new Shuttle attraction (under construction), but she had to be placed before the building can be completed. The New facility will open to the public next summer.

I will be heading over to KSC today, and hope to get a glimpse of her while I am there. I will be checking out of my hotel today, and moving over to Cocoa Beach. I also am planning to watch the Sail away this afternoon over in Port Canaveral.

Here are a few pics from the big move yesterday. . .All images are courtesy of Florida Today, and NASA.

Thanks for tuning in. . . More pics later.

Radio

Space Shuttle Atlantis

N1.JPG

The Shuttle sits atop the 76 wheel transport vehicle as she begins her 9.8

mile ride to the Visitors Center Complex

N3.JPG

Atlantis will end her almost 30 year career as she settles in to retirement.

N2.JPG

Atlantis approaches the Kennedy Space Center slowly

N5.JPG

Here is the route from the VAB to the Visitor Complex

N6.JPG

This is how the Shuttle exhibit building will look when finished next summer

N8.JPG

Hey Mark... I recently stayed at the Hampton in Titusville and enjoyed it immensely.. very reasonable.

Have a great pre-cruise day today.. gonna be a beauty down here...if i'm not mistaken you'll see the Carnival Dream and the Disney Fantasy sailing this evening.

looking forward to your pics over at Cocoa Beach today

have a great one

your ole pal

Hello Radio. I just joined this thread. I hope you have a wonderful cruise. I will follow your post as long as my Internet keeps up. I am on business trip in Africa, where the Internet comes and goes. I guess it's like the Internet onboard, you have some days with fast speeds and some are slow. Anyway. Great job.

Loving our first day in Florida. My DH saw Titusville and said rock shrimp grilled at Dixie Crossroads is the way to go for dinner if you have the time. He thinks they are heaven on earth. Not being a seafood lover, what do I know

Loving our first day in Florida. My DH saw Titusville and said rock shrimp grilled at Dixie Crossroads is the way to go for dinner if you have the time. He thinks they are heaven on earth. Not being a seafood lover, what do I know

I will second Dixie Crossroads and the rock shrimp as a great dinner choice.

:)Our last two cruises were on the Freedom,,she is a great ship and we love the crew (well most of them)..There is one waiter in particular that we really do like, his name is Eliseo,,he is from the Phillipines..He was our waiter on the first cruise and last year we found him in charge of the WJ.. Very personable and friendly...If you see him, say hi for us from Ann&John and Tim&Debbie.:cool::cool:

Have a great cruise,,will be following along...And by the way,,no Freedom this year, we are going on the Big Lady Oasis:)..

Hello everyone. . .

I started the day off by driving over to Cocoa Beach to the Hampton Inn and Suites. The hotel is a very nice property. The franchise is owned by the same company who owns the Marriott Courtyard next door. I have a great view of the pool; however, the ocean view is blocked by a huge palm tree.

I met up with MedicKen (Cruise Critic member) up at Kennedy Space Center and I was very happy I went there today. The Atlantis move has been completed and she has been placed comfortably inside the new Visitors’ Center exhibit. The exhibit will not be completed until July of 2013; however, we were allowed to go into the area and be very close to the Space Shuttle Atlantis.

On the way back from KSC we stopped at Port Canaveral Locks and were able to see several manatee. The manatee love the warm water and so do the pelicans.

I had lunch with several Cruise Critic members at the Four Points Sheraton hotel next to Ron Jon’s Surf Shop. It is a spectacular place with huge aquariums, a large Ron Jon’s shopping area, and my favorite place to go - Starbucks!! (Not “We proudly serve Starbucks” but an actual Starbucks.)

At 4 PM, I went up to the Cove in Port Canaveral. We went to Milliken’s Reef and watched the Carnival Dream and Disney Fantasy leave Port Canaveral. Tomorrow is the day I will step on board the beautiful Freedom of the Seas in Port Canaveral for a 5 o’clock sail away. The forecast for tomorrow’s sail away is sunny and 80 degrees.

Thanks for the nice comments, and thanks for tuning in.

Radio

My home for tonight in Cocoa Beach

A37.JPG

The view from my balcony is nice. . .

A39.JPG

The World famous Ron Jon’s

A42.JPG

I love these little transport vehicles I saw at Four Points in Cocoa Beach

A34.JPG

I love going to Canaveral Locks

A50.JPG

We watched the sail away of Carnival Dream, and Disney Fantasy

A41.JPG

Here are a few more pics. . .

Tomorrow is Freedom of the Seas Day !

Radio

Kennedy Space Center might be one of my favorite attractions

A4.JPG

Atlantis was just rolled inside yesterday. The exhibit will be completed next summer.

A5.JPG

We were allowed a close up view into the Atlantis exhibit area

A25.JPG

A may need a new NASA Hat

A18.JPG

The Rocket Garden has over a dozen actual rockets that flew into space

A48.JPG

Now I must come back next summer to see the finished exhibit

A21.JPG

Hello everyone. . .

I made it on board AutoTrain, but my connection was not as good as it should have been. . .definitely not enough for posting any pics. The signal comes and goes as we rail through populated areas. . .

We left the Passenger Terminal at Lorton, VA right at 4PM, and it was a very smooth ride. I had a very nice Crab Cake dinner, with Cheesecake and Ice cream. They played a movie in the lounge car, and I was concerned about all of the coffee I consumed might keep me awake last night. . . The coffee did not have an effect. . .I slept like a baby, and the rails rocked me to sleep nicely.

We are currently in Palatka, Florida. . .about 80 mi north of our destination in Sanford, FL. We are scheduled to arrive by around 8AM.(1 hour early) The cars have to be unloaded and I should be on my way around 10AM fro my short drive to Titusville, FL. . .which is very close to the Kennedy Space Center.

I have many photos so far from AutoTrain, but I will just post a few here, and will try to get more later when I have a better connection. It is now 630AM, and the first call for breakfast was just announced. . .

Thanks for all of the very nice comments, and thanks for tuning in !

Radio

This is one of two mighty Locomotives that will haul these rail cars down to Florida.

L6-vi.jpg

These are the ramps that allow cars and trucks to be loaded

L4-vi.jpg

I will sleep like a baby tonight

L5-vi.jpg

Day Configuration of AutoTrain Roomette

L1-vi.jpg

Sleeper at night

L10-vi.jpg

I love to stretch out in these roomettes

L11-vi.jpg

thanks for the pics of the train, I work for a scenic RR and loved this pics!

Radio, got the cuppa waiting to be filled as I turn the dial to tune in for yet another wonderful live cruise with you. I suspect it is going to be really hard to wait another 4 weeks till we hop on board.

To another Quacker....I can't wait to be reading Radio's reports as well. Did you go on the cruise last year?

Freedom of the seas is my favorite ship!! Maybe we can see you tomorrow of the port Canaveral web cam!!! My 3year old daughter still talks about the FOS her first cruise and made lots of great memory's. Franklyn our stateroom attendant made a great impression on her and the awesome towel animals.. If you see him say hi!!!!!

777372770_FranklynFreedomoftheSeas.jpg.f28eceea47051df95bcecee5d977a20b.jpg

Wishing you a great trip Radio. Can't wait to read your review and see the pictures. I'll be watching and waving from the camera's tomorrow as you sail away. I have a friend sailing on the Freedom next May, can't wait to tell her about your trip and share the pictures.

Archived