Wine Permitted to Carry Onboard Now

gw2fll

If you have to put your wine in your checked bags then be prepared to go to the "naughty room" to pick up your bags. They can't tell what's in the bottles if they are in your checked bag (wine or hard stuff) so they will make you come to open it so they can check it out.

Would I be allowed to take on Metheglin? It's a fortified honey wine. In a wine bottle, LOOKS like wine but its made from honey, not grapes.

Any ideas? If not I'll take a bottle of my favoured sparkling wine. But there are a few things that fit under the 'wine' heading.

My guess: if it looks like wine, it will probably get through. If it says "wine" on label, the odds are higher. I'd carry it on rather than checking it.

I've pretty much read this whole thread and can't find the answer I'm looking for. I have seen basically the same question asked but not really answered.

So, here it is:

Has anyone carried wine on board in their checked bags? Or, just carry ons?

Thank you;)

I think you are allowed to either carry it or check it.

But carrying it is my preference.

Checked baggage has a higher risk of breakage. Liquids in checked luggage (even legal liquids) increase the risk the baggage will be held in naughty room...they can see the liquids, but may wish to verify what the liquid is. breakage or naughty room could happen with wine bottle or mouthwash bottle or liquor bottle or some other bottle.

If you have to put your wine in your checked bags then be prepared to go to the "naughty room" to pick up your bags. They can't tell what's in the bottles if they are in your checked bag (wine or hard stuff) so they will make you come to open it so they can check it out.

Just retuned from the Allure, not a problem with both of our rooms bringing 2 bottles of wine per room in checked bags.

Would I be allowed to take on Metheglin? It's a fortified honey wine. In a wine bottle, LOOKS like wine but its made from honey, not grapes.

Any ideas? If not I'll take a bottle of my favoured sparkling wine. But there are a few things that fit under the 'wine' heading.

It won't be allowed on. They have specially trained dogs that can tell if your wine is made from honey instead of grapes.

Just back from the Liberty out of FLL.

We had two bottles of wine, each wrapped in brown paper bag from the liquor store. Had them in my carry on/beach bag. They never even stopped the conveyor belt as it went thru. I actually forgot about it being in there until we were thru. We also had another beach bag that had 8 waters and 6 caffeine free diet coke. Never even took a second look at them.

Maybe this is a naive question, but how will they know which bottles are going in each room if they are in carry-on bags? I would think that if they were checked, RCCL would have a system to show 2 bottles of wine have already gone thru the scanner with passenger #1, therefore passenger #2 wouldn't get two more in his bag.

It just seems like there could be a better way to protect some passengers from over-doing it. If three partying college kids are sharing a room and going thru screening at different times, couldn't they all theoretically bring two bottles each? There should be a measure in place to track the bottles coming thru security and "attach" them to a room number. JMHO

Hi

OK - back from the Serenade of the Seas (sailing 08 Nov from Barcelona).

We had our 2 bottles per cabin in our luggage - and had to go to the "naughty room".

Disputed - because they know the new rule - but told us "we can have the bottles - but were charged 25 $ per bottle - nevertheless where we consume it". We refused that and were told, they would check it with the F & B manager - if we are right, the bottles will be delivered to our cabins.

Nothing happened the next day - so we went to guest relations - and the first person told us: Forbidden. She never heard about the new rule.

We insisted to ask again. The next person was not sure - phoned with a few people - and then told us, we were right and they send one to bring us our bottles.

That was the first time someone onboard of the staff was unfriendly - he told us "we cannot know every new policy - they have new policies every day....."

Sorry - but they KNEW about the new policy - because they knew the corkage fee....

(We saw a lot of confiscated 2-bottle-packages.... I am sure, not everyone got his bottles....)

c94657rr0jtffspgr.jpg

Got it...

Wendy

Kingsnake57, To answer your question, not too may on this board will admit to smuggling wine on board, however I do know someone that brought 2 bottles in their checked bags on several occasions. They know that they were lucky to not get caught. They used a padded fabric double wine bottle carrier and wrapped that in a towel and packed the bottles in a small hard sided suitcase.

I know they will be happy with the new 2 bottle in your carry on rule from now on. Less stressful for everyone.

To Wendy-Europe, Sorry you had to go thru that hassle. Next time something like that happens, go to the RC website and print out the new policy and show it to them. That should set them straight.;)

Kingsnake57, To answer your question, not too may on this board will admit to smuggling wine on board, however I do know someone that brought 2 bottles in their checked bags on several occasions. They know that they were lucky to not get caught. They used a padded fabric double wine bottle carrier and wrapped that in a towel and packed the bottles in a small hard sided suitcase.

I know they will be happy with the new 2 bottle in your carry on rule from now on. Less stressful for everyone.

To Wendy-Europe, Sorry you had to go thru that hassle. Next time something like that happens, go to the RC website and print out the new policy and show it to them. That should set them straight.;)

I will admit to it. I smuggled a box of wine in my suitcase onto Explorer earlier this year. A wine bottle has a distinctive x-ray profile, but the machines can't really detect a wine box, which is just a plastic bag inside a cardboard box. I got this advice elsewhere on CC. Don't recall ever reading about a box of wine being caught, so I gave it a try. Enjoyed it thoroughly.

BTW, it's getting easier to find very drinkable boxed wines these days. All stores sell the crappy jug wines in a box, but more and more stores are carrying better boxed wines. The wine I smuggled last time was a French red selling for $10 a bottle. Box (equal to 4 bottles) was $30.

We HAD a screenshot of their website.... and no - that did not set them straight....

Wendy

We HAD a screenshot of their website.... and no - that did not set them straight....

Wendy

Yikes! That's one for the books, there it is in black and white and they still gave you a hard time. Again, so sorry, that's no way to start a cruise.

Hope the rest of your trip went smoothly.:)

Just retuned from the Allure, not a problem with both of our rooms bringing 2 bottles of wine per room in checked bags.

Thanks for all the great responses.

We're coming from California and will have in our checked bags anyway. They will be in a sealed, cushined bags called "wine diapers".

Thank you for your candid insight. ;)

The funny thing is: On Serenade nearby the Guest Relations counter were Computers for the guests (next to Lattetudes Cafe) - and onboard you are able to go to the Royal Carr. Website without any online fees - so you can check the new policy online - and show them .... no need to spend a Cent for that! :D

Wendy

I will admit to it. I smuggled a box of wine in my suitcase onto Explorer earlier this year. A wine bottle has a distinctive x-ray profile, but the machines can't really detect a wine box, which is just a plastic bag inside a cardboard box. I got this advice elsewhere on CC. Don't recall ever reading about a box of wine being caught, so I gave it a try. Enjoyed it thoroughly.

BTW, it's getting easier to find very drinkable boxed wines these days. All stores sell the crappy jug wines in a box, but more and more stores are carrying better boxed wines. The wine I smuggled last time was a French red selling for $10 a bottle. Box (equal to 4 bottles) was $30.

Wine in a box has been detected in checked luggage by Xray. It happened to somebody I know. he was called to the naughty room for boxed wine in luggage. if you decide to continue to carry such wine, you might consider removing it from the box and concealing the bladder so that the disfigure box shape does not appear on Xray. better yet, comply with this new policy and carry two nice bottle per stateroom.