Wine Permitted to Carry Onboard Now

gw2fll

I wonder how this new policy of bringing 2 bottles of wine on board will affect the D+/PC Amenities with some members being eligible for 3 amenities per cruise. Will the wine list decrease or even be eliminated?

I don't see how it will at all considering they are two entirely different things. one is for all passengers regardless of C&A status, and the other ..well some of us can only dream of achieving that in our lifetimes hehehehe there's no need to impact D+/PC at all.

New question - so I can bring my 2 bottles on per cabin but what if I am doing back to back?? Can I purchase wine at duty free stop and have them hold it until end of cruise and then request it be returned before the next cruise begins - embarkation day???? Seems like this should be allowed since even though b2b you have 2 different booking numbers, etc...Certainly would be nice but probably makes too much sense for the ships to grasp this possibility;)

They do give it back to you.

Next Sat I start another B2B out of Venice. I will have two bottles of Italian wines, will buy Scotch from the ship and they will give it back to me at the end of the 1st cruise, in Barcelona I will buy 2 bottles of wine from Spain.So on my 15night TA to Sao Paulo I could end up with 1 bottle of Scotch, 4 bottles of wine I took onboard plus the 2 and 2 bottles I receive fron Rccl C&A for being a D+, so 8 wines and 1 scotch plus the nighty Concierge lounge I should be set. :eek:

Edited by Spring

Next Sat I start another B2B out of Venice. I will have two bottles of Italian wines, will buy Scotch from the ship and they will give it back to me at the end of the 1st cruise, in Barcelona I will buy 2 bottles of wine from Spain.

Don't hold your breath on getting the Scotch. On the B2B's we have sailed on with RCI, they do not give t you liquor purchase until the end of your complete cruise.

If you want your Scotch, I'd suggest you make friends with someone that is doing a single cruise, they can purchase it for you.

Don't hold your breath on getting the Scotch. On the B2B's we have sailed on with RCI, they do not give t you liquor purchase until the end of your complete cruise.

If you want your Scotch, I'd suggest you make friends with someone that is doing a single cruise, they can purchase it for you.

On the last 5 B2B they did, so with any luck they will, but I dont think I would miss having it in my cabin anyway,:) But like your suggest

Edited by Spring

Thanks for the info. May give it a try on the 1st leg at least. Would be nice to get some really good champagne in San Juan to have on the next cruise. Will have plenty to drink from PC ammenities and CL;) so not interested in alcohol. None of this is a deal breaker for us but was just wondering how they will handle this now.

I did a b2b last year on Explorer and I was given the liquor taken from me on the 1st cruise back at the end of the 1st cruise. I'm sure it depends from ship to ship and who's the one taking care of it. Seems like a usual Royal Caribbean inconsistency.

Not that I want to complain too much because this is a nice policy to implement. But why only wine? I can understand not allowing a whole 750ml of hard liquor because that's several drinks, but why not beer? Heck, one bottle of beer is less of a drink than a bottle of wine, even if one were to bring a 750ml bottle of beer.

They do give it back to you.

Next Sat I start another B2B out of Venice. I will have two bottles of Italian wines, will buy Scotch from the ship and they will give it back to me at the end of the 1st cruise, in Barcelona I will buy 2 bottles of wine from Spain.So on my 15night TA to Sao Paulo I could end up with 1 bottle of Scotch, 4 bottles of wine I took onboard plus the 2 and 2 bottles I receive fron Rccl C&A for being a D+, so 8 wines and 1 scotch plus the nighty Concierge lounge I should be set. :eek:

Wow that's a decent haul so it's because of the diamond plus and above members that they implemented their alcohol policy in the first place hey. ;)

I did a b2b last year on Explorer and I was given the liquor taken from me on the 1st cruise back at the end of the 1st cruise. I'm sure it depends from ship to ship and who's the one taking care of it. Seems like a usual Royal Caribbean inconsistency.

GREAT! We will be on the Explorer:D

New question - so I can bring my 2 bottles on per cabin but what if I am doing back to back?? Can I purchase wine at duty free stop and have them hold it until end of cruise and then request it be returned before the next cruise begins - embarkation day???? Seems like this should be allowed since even though b2b you have 2 different booking numbers, etc...Certainly would be nice but probably makes too much sense for the ships to grasp this possibility;)

WE DID B2B ON CARNIVAL, AND WHEN WE CHECKED IN WE SIMPLY TOLD THE GUARD THAT WE WERE B2B, AND HE LET US GO THRU. i know it's carnival, but i would think they would just let this pass

That's where your friendly Concierge could come in handy if they don't automatically return it to you.

My apologies if this has been covered. I'm trying to keep up with this thread but it has covered a lot of ground.

How does RCCL, or any cruise line that limits wine to a couple of bottles per cabin, keep track of how much you checked in? You have to go through security with it, and I would guess if I have 4 bottles on me, two will get confiscated. If I have 2, I clear. So what about my travel companions? Who makes the connection that my roommate also checked 2 bottles? Or for that matter, there are rooms that hold 3-4 people. How is the connection made that there are now 8 bottles of wine that made it through security for a given room?

I'm not necessarily trying to cheat the system, but is the 2 bottle/room really enforceable without passengers complying on good faith?

My apologies if this has been covered. I'm trying to keep up with this thread but it has covered a lot of ground.

How does RCCL, or any cruise line that limits wine to a couple of bottles per cabin, keep track of how much you checked in? You have to go through security with it, and I would guess if I have 4 bottles on me, two will get confiscated. If I have 2, I clear. So what about my travel companions? Who makes the connection that my roommate also checked 2 bottles? Or for that matter, there are rooms that hold 3-4 people. How is the connection made that there are now 8 bottles of wine that made it through security for a given room?

I'm not necessarily trying to cheat the system, but is the 2 bottle/room really enforceable without passengers complying on good faith?

The new policy just started last week, so no one has yet reported how various situations are handled. In fact, some of the people that have reported back have said that their wine was initially confiscated, and later returned when the powers that be learned about the new policy. So, it's much too early now, and I suspect that Royal is also trying to figure this out.

The policy is up to two 750 ml bottles of wine per cabin.

There is more information here:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5068

Eric

I don't see that they spell out carry on versus checked luggage but if it appears they are doing "like Celebrity"; does Celebrity allow in checked luggage? I normally only carryon a backpack for RCCL but have to take a rolling carryon for lines that allow wine so it's a tad of an extra hassle to carry on. I think it's fairer to the workers to require wine be carried on and I'm happy for the opportunity.

Fellow cruiser just posted on rollcall that Royal has changed its policy and you can now carry two bottles of wine onboard ship for consumption. Subject to a corkage fee of $25 each.

Called RCCL and agent confirmed, policy change went into effect today.

Best news from RC!!!!! thanks a lot.

Shucks. This does not help people who want to save money on wine. It doesn't help those who buy just plain old vino at $12 a bottle. They want to avoid the high cost of on.board wines. A $25 corkage fee helps only the rich................

Shucks. This does not help people who want to save money on wine. It doesn't help those who buy just plain old vino at $12 a bottle. They want to avoid the high cost of on.board wines. A $25 corkage fee helps only the rich................

You can save money if you like to have a glass of wine in your stateroom.

I don't see that they spell out carry on versus checked luggage but if it appears they are doing "like Celebrity"; does Celebrity allow in checked luggage? I normally only carryon a backpack for RCCL but have to take a rolling carryon for lines that allow wine so it's a tad of an extra hassle to carry on. I think it's fairer to the workers to require wine be carried on and I'm happy for the opportunity.

I think that X allows you to bring it on either in checked luggage or carry-on, but we've always opted for the latter -- for two main reasons:

-- We learned a long time ago that the best way to stay out of the "naughty room" is to not pack any liquids in your checked bags. ;)

-- I've seen how the porters handle those checked bags. I'm afraid that, even with hard-sided luggage and bubble wrap, I'd end up starting my cruise with a Bordeaux-colored wardrobe! :eek:

As far as the B2B goes, you are booking (and paying) for each segment separately. You may or may not have to debark on turnaround day, but you always have the opportunity to do so. You will have a new seapass for the second segment. There should be no reason why you couldn't come back on with the 2 bottles for segment #2.

(I hope, I hope, I hope!! :D)

Is there some reason you can't open your $12 bottle of wine yourself in your cabin? There would be no corkage fee...and you can carry a glass with you to dinner if you want & no one would be the wiser....

Many who did not like the "no wine allowed" policy noted that they wanted the convenience of having a drink in their cabins. Now you can do that.

You are correct, in many cases it might not be worth it to bring a moderately priced bottle of wine to the dining room and pay a corkage fee, but better just to buy a bottle of RCCL offered wine.

I imagine the policy change was not intended so that no one had to buy wine from RCCL anymore.

A $25 corkage is pretty standard as many who bring wine to an establishment bring a pricey bottle to enjoy.

enjoy

M

As far as the B2B goes, you are booking (and paying) for each segment separately. You may or may not have to debark on turnaround day, but you always have the opportunity to do so. You will have a new seapass for the second segment. There should be no reason why you couldn't come back on with the 2 bottles for segment #2.

(I hope, I hope, I hope!! :D)

So where do you get the two new bottles? Many will not have a car at port for a B2B - or want to leave the port area. Many find the beauty of a B2B is to enjoy the ship on turnaround day.

M