Wine Permitted to Carry Onboard Now

gw2fll

I believe when this was tested on the Indy some months ago as a trial every person in the cabin 21 and over were required to have the package. Hope this is not the case. We aren't big drinkers but are usually with some that are.

The problem I see with this....we often drink more in the ports off the ship....yikes Senor Frogs and Carlos and Charlies...darn them...not on the drink pass..lol

I agree - especially on port intensive cruises. That being said, it wouldn't be hard to rack it up by drinking better than you usually might by getting higher end liquor/wine as the package allowed. I would definitely be getting Grey Goose rather than the gut eater Absolut!

Friends who get the package on Celebrity (and refuse to come over to the dark side of Royal Caribbean until they get a package...even though I think they'd enjoy themselves more) get their $$ worth by basically picking 2 good bottles of wine @ dinner each night. There's at least 1/2 the price of the daily packages covered. They start the day with a coffee + ??, a couple beers by the pool, some slushy icy drink, a bottle of water, a drink or 2 in the late evening. Easy to polish off $50 but you'd have to have more stamina than I do!

That's true. If the $55 package allows high end things, it could be easy to beat. As you say, a couple of bottles of expensive wine at dinner would do it.

The $33 p/p package we bought was limited to a wine list and bar drinks without high dollar alcohol.

Unfortunately the reps are frequently not kept up to speed on new programs.

I remember calling to ask a question about the nursery on Oasis and the rep I got had no idea there was a nursery on Oasis... It's my one long-standing beef with RC. It must not feel great to have customers inform you of what's going on as opposed to your leadership.

I've stopped calling Rccl to ask questions, as all i've gotten was incorrect info... I find cruise critic more helpful then the reps that answer the phone, some even confuse Celebrity with Rccl policies.

As someone else has implied, if you are Diamond or higher, this is probably meaningless.

Not to us. We have already cut back on the time we spend in the CL/DL/DE- I would rather spend money and drink what I like than drink much more La Terre. And I enjoy the the Schooner Bar and Champagne Bar on a Radiance class ship, so would be very happy spending the cocktail hour there, although fining a glass of wine under $12 in the Champagne Bar is a challenge.

I have had the premium package on Celebrity twice now and this is my typical consumption:

Orange Juice (fresh) and espresso drink with breakfast (@$8)

bottles of water through the day ($3)

Afternoon froo froo drink by the pool (1 or 2) ($7-14)

Pre dinner cocktail or prosecco at jazz bar (1 or 2) or at the show ($9-18)

Flighted wine with dinner (prosecco with appetizer, red or white with dinner, sometimes port or dessert wine or baileys with dessert) and an espresso to finish of my meal (at least $20)

Nightcap martinis (chocolate) later in the evening (1-2) ($8 - 16)

I have a lot of time between drinks and I dont always drink all of this every day :cool:, however, the convenience and addition of non alcoholic drinks in the morning (coffees water, juices) make it worthwhile.

You get a special sticker on your seapass so no nasty bracelets.

My question is how many of those beverages would you consume if you were paying as you go? We have never sprung for the fresh squeezed oj, but likely would do so with the package. But we do like a martini and/or couple of glasses of wine before dinner and a bottle of wine plus a bottle of Pellegrino with dinner. And we like the specialty coffees made up in Lattetudes much better than those in the CL, so would probably indulge frequently in those (usually only have one or two per cruise).

We'll still bring on wine for balcony consumption so we don't have to carry it down the hall, but otherwise I think it could work it nicely.

So we would get up money's worth, but by indulging in items that we normally wouldn't. So we wouldn't save anything, but would be happy.:). Think we'll give it a go on our next cruise, if it's offered, and see what happens.

Bravo to RCL for offering this option!!! Sign me up!

It is up to each individual as if this "works" for them, but I love having the choice.

As a well behaved cocktail enjoyer, I believe this allows RCL to compete with those all inclusive resorts. Excellent work!

take care,

Mike

I agree with your analysis of how it could work out for some passengers.

I have seen many talk about "concerns of overconsumption and bad behavior" many times. We hae visited several Sandals all inclusive resorts, and even with multiple bars/all you can drink of anything I have never seen anything close to bad behavior.

I do hope my mild concerns of overconsumption and bad behavior are totally unfounded. I did hear bad stories off NCL Pearl during a March Spring Break last year ( I was almost on that sailing but changed due to airline prices and times...so glad). Evidently there was a large group booking from a college on spring break. NCL had an inclusive drink package for group bookings( if all eligible people in the group take the drink package). The college spring breakers took the package and stories suggest overconsumption and bad behavior did occur (stories included joyriding and crashing a disabled person's scooter, defecating in elevator, public sex acts, etc). gratefully I was on a different NCL cruise where the college kids had fun, filled the pool deck and hot tubs, drank a bit (they did not seem to have the unlimited package), etc. they were younger and a bit louder than most cruisers, but to my knowledge behaved within appropriate limits.

I do hope my mild concerns of overconsumption and bad behavior are totally unfounded. I did hear bad stories off NCL Pearl during a March Spring Break last year ( I was almost on that sailing but changed due to airline prices and times...so glad). Evidently there was a large group booking from a college on spring break. NCL had an inclusive drink package for group bookings( if all eligible people in the group take the drink package). The college spring breakers took the package and stories suggest overconsumption and bad behavior did occur (stories included joyriding and crashing a disabled person's scooter, defecating in elevator, public sex acts, etc). gratefully I was on a different NCL cruise where the college kids had fun, filled the pool deck and hot tubs, drank a bit (they did not seem to have the unlimited package), etc. they were younger and a bit louder than most cruisers, but to my knowledge behaved within appropriate limits.

Come on. Really??

Point me to that thread over at the NCL board that backs this up with some proof!!!

Come on. Really??

Point me to that thread over at the NCL board that backs this up with some proof!!!

My neighbours were aboard this cruise also. They went with their 3 young daughters. My neighbour said you could not get near the pools because of the drunk spring breakers. She also said there was a lot of inappropriate sexual behaviour. It is too bad this was her first family cruise. She said she would not cruise again.

We have taken the Celebrity premium package twice now, and I expect we will continue to in the future. We will do the same on RCL if they roll this out, and I hope they do. It's not just the alcohol, but specialty coffees, bottled water, and even an occasional Dt Coke that make this a worthwhile investment for us.

Edited by MJonTravel

I am on the Allure today and it is true! $55 per person plus 15% gratuity. Both of us had to do it.

Includes: all house wine, beers (under $6.25), fountain soda, well, call or premium brands of liquor and frozen drinks.

Excludes: room service, specialty coffee, mini bar, canned soda, bottled water, and bottled juices.

I had rumours of a drinks package but that it was limited to certain areas

apparently not for australia but will find out ina few days on rhapsody

The other issue is they make money as people will drink more than they would have otherwise to get their money's worth out of it

the alcohol costs them very little compared to the amount they charge and six glasses of wine per day is not alot over a full day

if you count specialty coffees etc and soda it adds up quickly

and D D+ and Pinnacle won't worry anyway

but having said that I have a friend who is D and she would drink over that amount of alcohol on top of the free drinks we get already

Greg

I am on the Allure today and it is true! $55 per person plus 15% gratuity. Both of us had to do it.

Includes: all house wine, beers (under $6.25), fountain soda, well, call or premium brands of liquor and frozen drinks.

Excludes: room service, specialty coffee, mini bar, canned soda, bottled water, and bottled juices.

Are there two different packages or just one?

Celebrity’s drink package is so much better. $55.00 gets you premium drinks, wines up to $12.00, specialty coffees and bottles water. I won’t drink 55.00 in alcohol, but I would have a few alcoholic drinks, bottles of water and speciality coffees. I won’t be getting the package unless all beverages were included!

That's definately not doable. My wife might have a few drinks a day. If I had to drink to get my moneys worth I'll never remember the cruise. I can see trying to drink $110 worth on port days.

Agreed. Disappointing that they would field something inferior to the X offering for the same price. The coffees and bottled water are what make it a worthwhile deal for me in most cases. Will have to think it over if its available on my next RCL cruise.

Edited by MJonTravel

I assume my Martini's are included? If so, yeah :D

You would need to drink 6 martinis to break even everyday of the cruise. More power to you if you can stand after 6 martinis a day!:D

Edited by raerom

That's crazy IMO...you are talking $885.50 per couple for a 7 night sailing...and no specialty coffee, canned soda, bottled water, bottled juices....:rolleyes:

Edited by bajathree

Assuming it will also include drinks consumed on the private islands, we will probably try it out on our upcoming 3 Day Indy Cruise. A coke here or there. 2 or 3 frozen goodies during the day, a couple of glasses of wine before, during and after dinner, and then a few while watching a show or gambling will more than pay for it. Will be nice to know our bar bill up front! Just wish coffee was included like on Celebrity.

Celebrity’s drink package is so much better. $55.00 gets you premium drinks, wines up to $12.00, specialty coffees and bottles water. I won’t drink 55.00 in alcohol, but I would have a few alcoholic drinks, bottles of water and speciality coffees. I won’t be getting the package unless all beverages were included!

I really have to agree. It's not just the alcohol. It's the specialty teas and coffees and the BIG bottles of water.

Bummer. It was the N/A drinks that would make it something we would consider. Guess we'll just get it on Celebrity.

It puzzles me that Celebrity is the premium line in the family but RCI often turns out to be the more expensive one.

Edited by critterchick