Wine Permitted to Carry Onboard Now

gw2fll

People keep comparing RCCL to Celebrity but they are two different products, with two different demographics. I would expect them to offer two different drink packages.

I'm glad you mention the differences and that someone else brought up Carnival. I'm stereotyping, I know, haven't even sailed Celebrity but picture a slightly more mature group on the average Celebrity cruise than the average RCCL cruise and that they might be less concerned with drinking their money's worth on the vacation they have been saving a couple of years for............

I'm considering a second cruise on Carnival during spring break and they are also adopting a bar program and Carnival having one concerns me more than RCCL.

If I'm betting, and making broad stroke assumptions; I'd guess this order (highest to lowest) for % pax drunk with these inclusive programs.

Carnival

RCCL

Celebrity

Here is my take on it.

With package as per Celebrity

Coffee am & pm $13

Morning Juice $3

Soda & Water thru day $6

Drink of the Day $9

Drinks at bar wouldn’t need

Dinner Wine $15

Total $46

Without Package

Coffee am & pm wouldnt buy

Morning Juice wouldnt buy

Soda & Water thru day $6

Drink of the Day $9

Drinks at bar $24

Dinner Wine wouldnt buy

Total $39

So from this RCL would get $16/day (55-39) extra out of me plus they would also save $9 (55-46) if I purchased the package.

So if speciality coffees, water and juice were not included in package I wouldn’t buy it on top of I would just stick to the free stuff available.

Unless coffees etc were included it would not be beneficial to me at all it also would not be beneficial to RCL either as I just wouldn’t buy them.

Also, even though the info says all ships all itineraries, Australia always seems to be at the end of the line!!!

Sue

Edited by campaluva

Just because they may sell alcohol packages that include water and soda, doesn't mean that they will stop selling the other packages. Celebrity just has water and soda packages also.

Susan :)

I'm not saying that they would stop selling them, I am saying that people would stop buying them. On Celebrity, I am guessing that there is a bigger percentage of couples traveling vs families traveling. If a couple buys a drink package with all included, it's different than if 2 parents traveling with their 3 kids buy the same package. There is more of a probability of 'sharing' with a family than with a couple.

With RCCL's package everyone over 21 in the same cabin must purchase the drink package. The only way around it is if you're pregnant, or have a medical condition with doctor's note saying you can't consume alcohol.

A lot of familes travel on Royal and book 2 cabins. So another way around it would be to book one parent into each cabin so the non-drinking parent wouldn't have to buy the package.

Quick note to say you do not have to apologize for expressing your opinion here. That is what these boards are for. You may be in the minority on an issue and it shouldn't matter. OK? Just speak up. A person can have a difference of opinion and express it politely without being confrontational or rude. :)

Well maybe, depends on the topic. Just don't use any negatives and RCCL in the same sentence.

My name is Dan

Is anyone just hoping one more person will post the info and maybe even a picture of the breakdown?! I am hoping something was missed and you get at the least glasses of wine above house level. That would make it worth it for many folks...and yes I have had too many as an adult but never on a cruise..I like a bloody in the am, drink or 2 during day, predinner drink, wine with dinner and a night cap. We don't drink beer :) I don't love that RCCL people don't know either way:confused:

Here is to waiting for a post about the package not assumptions.;)

Just wondering on how this package works if you are buying a drink for a friend or buying a round of drinks. Would you purchase your drink on package and rest on sea pass. Is there a sticker or something on sea pass or a special card?

It doesn't seem like we have answers to any specific questions about the package. The OP said that this package is (or will be within a week or so) available fleetwide. We also have confirmation from someone aboard Allure that this package is offered during the current cruise and costs $55 per person per today (plus gratuity), with the requirement that both 21+ persons in the cabin purchase. Other than that, it seems like we will just have to wait for an announcement by RCI or further confirmation from people currently onboard to get more details.

For what it's worth, I sent an e-mail to C&A last night asking about this. I know the reps on the phones are often the last to find out about these programs (exactly the way one would expect :p), but maybe the C&A people responding to e-mails will do a little research before responding. I will of course post when I hear back.

Just for funnies I asked C&A about this package a few minutes ago. Yep, you guessed it, they haven't heard about it hitting all ships yet. Their data still says that it's coming off Indy after her repo cruise.

The rep was well aware that they sometimes get the mushroom treatment and we had a good laugh about it.

Just wondering on how this package works if you are buying a drink for a friend or buying a round of drinks. Would you purchase your drink on package and rest on sea pass. Is there a sticker or something on sea pass or a special card?

Hi we had the package on Indy in Sep, they put a sticker on your card & you could get two drinks at a time if you took both cards with you. Dont know if it will be the same we paid $55 per day but that included tips, there was also 20% off purchased drinks but I think that was only for drinks not included in package for yourself.

A lot of familes travel on Royal and book 2 cabins. So another way around it would be to book one parent into each cabin so the non-drinking parent wouldn't have to buy the package.

We book 2 rooms as a family and the 2 room reservations are always linked for seating in the dining room, excursions, etc. I am sure RCCl would see the 2 adults when reservations are linked together.

If people want to pay that fee, good for them. I suppose my only concern is the excess drinking by the pools where obnoxious drunks are more likely to have interaction or be seen by children. Celebrity is an older crowd and less risky. Carnival (which is also doing the all you can drink packages) and Royal Caribbean might be more problematic. At night, when adults hit the bars, who cares? I'm good with that. With the squeeze on big for corporate profits, it's not surprising that all lines are going for revenue enhancements such as alcohol packages.

Hi, here is some information. We just got off the Vision last Friday and our barman in the Schooner (Jamie) told us this. As from the next sailing (Friday 23rd Nov) drinks packages would be available. There were two types, a premium package priced at $55 pp per day and a beer package (cannot remember the price). He said all passengers in a stateroom must purchase the package (no sharing). He said he had attended extra training that day with other bar staff to ensure all was clear.

We have in the past purchased drinks packages (last year on Granduer and year before on Millenium), both time we were offered a classic package priced at $45 pppd. Both were more than adaquately used and well worth the price tag. Not sure if they will adopt the classic package which allowed any drink upto the price of $8 and any beers upto $5.

Hope this helps.

Hi, here is some information. We just got off the Vision last Friday and our barman in the Schooner (Jamie) told us this. As from the next sailing (Friday 23rd Nov) drinks packages would be available. There were two types, a premium package priced at $55 pp per day and a beer package (cannot remember the price). He said all passengers in a stateroom must purchase the package (no sharing). He said he had attended extra training that day with other bar staff to ensure all was clear.

We have in the past purchased drinks packages (last year on Granduer and year before on Millenium), both time we were offered a classic package priced at $45 pppd. Both were more than adaquately used and well worth the price tag. Not sure if they will adopt the classic package which allowed any drink upto the price of $8 and any beers upto $5.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info! Was the "beer package" only for beer, or did it also include liquor and wine?

Hi! Do both people in the room have to purchase the alcohol package or is that only if you are married? I am rooming with my cousin and I am pretty sure she won't want to do this, but I certainly do!

Are there other packages offered asides the $55 a day package?

Thanks for the info! Was the "beer package" only for beer, or did it also include liquor and wine?

No it also includes wine, but no spirits.

Hi! Do both people in the room have to purchase the alcohol package or is that only if you are married? I am rooming with my cousin and I am pretty sure she won't want to do this, but I certainly do!

Not sure how that would work, think you would have to ask. Only other package was a beer and wine package.

Seems as if RCI just can't win.

smugglers claim it isn't about the money but the convenience....now there are complaints that it won't save the pax money but will make RCI money.:confused:

So which is it?

Those that want their booze complained they wanted a new policy..seems they are getting it but it isn't good enough.

So the smuggling will probably go on despite it NOT being about $$$...supposedly.:rolleyes:

It is about convenience. I would happily buy an inflated priced bottle to have in my room. That is the only place I drink extra. The rest is all at the bars. My 3 day cruise had a $250 bar bill plus the wine package and soda package. Quick math I paid around $650 to drink on a 3 day cruise. I could drop the wine package and the soda package and come out way ahead. Now if they would just let me buy an overpriced bottle for my room.

Would you please ask your bar manager friend why it would take a drink package to warrant additional training for the bar staff? In my opinion, the staff should have sufficient training to monitor for trouble regardless of the presence of a package.

Because the bar staff is currently pouring for tips. They don't do 3 second pours. They take off the lid and pour a half a glass full of booze and top it off. One bartender even laughed this past weekend when he "short poured" it due to an empty bottle, opened another, continued pouring with the statement, "the more the better". RCCL could make serious dough if they would serve correct pours.

I have been to many all inclusives in Mexico and have never encountered over indulgent drunks. So I don't think these packages will effect our cruise experience. On almost every cruise the first day people seem to drink more than they should, including myself, but that is usually the end of it. I am sure spring break could be an issue, but that would happen drink package or not, all inclusive or cruise ship. I can't wait to take my next cruise and not have to worry about my bar bill.

Depending on what you normally drink, it could be a money saver. If you went with the Premium Package (approx. $55/day) you'd only have to drink 8 mixed drinks or 6 glasses of wine per day to break even. If you normally drink the frozen DOD then you'd have to drink less to breakeven. I've seen a lot of people drink far more than that before Muster Drill. :eek:

8 mixed drinks or 6 glasses of wine is too much alcohol in a day, even on vacation!

Yes. It has been stated that each person of legal age in the same cabin would have to buy the package. Everyone is still waiting for some real confirmation from Royal Caribbean on how this will work. For now we are relying on info from someone who boarded the Allure this past weekend and confirmed drink pacakges were being offered.

8 mixed drinks or 6 glasses of wine is too much alcohol in a day, even on vacation!

If you just have one then probably. But 3 drink of the days, 2 glasses of wine at dinner, and then a drink or two in the evening is doable without being wasted. Mostly just depends on the person. As others have said I just hope we don't see Amateurs getting wasted so they get their money's worth.

Yes. It has been stated that each person of legal age in the same cabin would have to buy the package. Everyone is still waiting for some real confirmation from Royal Caribbean on how this will work. For now we are relying on info from someone who boarded the Allure this past weekend and confirmed drink pacakges were being offered.

I wonder if they look you up in the system then, if its like the soda pass last time I cruise you just go over they write down your info and then give you the sticker.

Graeme!

Welcome back! Miss you already. Wow! You missed the drink packages by a week! :eek: Unfortunate for us since you could have given us a liver's eye view of the packages. Thanks for the info!

As many of us have mentioned, the way the =X= packages run seem to be more manageable and certainly provide more options. Hopefully this will be worked out by the time we get on in February and you get back on in San Juan.

Hugs to you both...Pam