Thanksgiving

cruisebabe19

We have only sailed on Celebrity once before and this year we are going to be aboard the Constellation on the 22nd November which I understand is thanksgiving. My question is will this holiday be celebrated and if it is what should I expect.

Many thanks in advance.:D

Not sure where you're from, but in the U.S. Thanksgiving is normally "celebrated" by sharing a special traditional meal with family and/or friends. Any cruise that originates in a U.S. port will undoubtedly have a traditional Thanksgiving meal - turkey, stuffing, yams, pumpkin pie, etc., but that will be the extent of the celebration. Ships sailing in Europe or other world ports may or may not recognize the holiday at all, depending on what percentage of their passengers are American.

Thanksgiving is more of a family dinner celebration, than say Christmas or Easter. On board ship you might see "fall" decorations on tables, or atrium floral arrangements. Childrens programs might include Pilgram crafts/attire etc.

I'm really looking forward to being on ship for Thanksgiving this year. NO DISHES TO WASH!!!! :D

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond my husband will be delighted turkey dinner is one of his favourites and pumpkin pie is not to be missed. We are celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary so it will just be the two of us. We will however give thanks for our wonderful family at home.

We have been on two Celebrity ships on Thanksgiving.

The first time we were doing a Panama Canal cruise from San Diego to Miami, and a fairly traditional turkey dinner was one of the options that night.

The second time we were on a cruise from Honolulu to Sydney, and half of the passengers were Australian. While a traditional turkey dinner was not really offered, there were elements of the traditional American Thanksgiving dinner offered that day. For example, there was a pumpkin dessert.

We will be on the Silhouette over Thanksgiving on the Holy Land cruise and was wondering if they will do anything, and was also wondering if they will start to decorate for Christmas since we are on until Dec 1 or if they will wait until the Transatlantic to decorate. Anyone know? Thanks!

We were on Millie Venice to Barcelona in 2007 over Thanksgiving. They offered a traditional turkey dinner. No Christmas decor appeared before our debarkation. However, we toured Barcelona and Zurich before we flew home and found the Christmas markets going up and some open.

We were on the Millie for Thanksgiving last year. A traditional Thanksgiving menu was one of the options for the evening...you were free to choose from the Everyday menu as well as that night's other options. The mints on our pillows said "Happy Thanksgiving" which was nice!

Cruisebabe19, I am on the Constellation also for Thanksgiving (the wine immersion cruise). Haven't seen you on our rollcall - you may want to "join" us and sign up for the connections party. Go down to the rollcall section of the forums and go to Constellation and see the date of our cruise. We have about 130 signed up for the mix and mingle party along with other activities. I'm not sure if they'll have anything for Thanksgiving because it originates in England and they definitely don't celebrate TG there. Would be nice for the Americans if they DID do something special that day. But who knows.

Cruisebabe19, I am on the Constellation also for Thanksgiving (the wine immersion cruise). Haven't seen you on our rollcall - you may want to "join" us and sign up for the connections party. Go down to the rollcall section of the forums and go to Constellation and see the date of our cruise. We have about 130 signed up for the mix and mingle party along with other activities. I'm not sure if they'll have anything for Thanksgiving because it originates in England and they definitely don't celebrate TG there. Would be nice for the Americans if they DID do something special that day. But who knows.

Hi Pattibacon, we are booked for the connections party and on the roll call, we are about halfway down, Keely & Craig. We are looking forward to meeting up with everyone but haven't been active on the discussions :)

Look forward to seeing you on board.

I'll be onboard Solstice for Thanksgiving and hoping for our first ever Thanksgiving dinner. I hope there is pumpkin pie as I've never had it before. :)

You will love the pumpkin pie, especially if it is garnished with that white stuff. By the way, it is one of the most nutritionally suggested items you may consume.

If turkey is on the menu, Thanksgiving or not, it would be my last choice. Give me a nice, thick cut of medium rare prime ribs of beef. :)

That is also a good choice, providing it is warm in the middle. This year, we will do an Irish Thanksgiving-i.e. corned beef and cabbage with all of the trimmings. Also, included is the Irish red beer.

We will be on the Silhouette over Thanksgiving on the Holy Land cruise and was wondering if they will do anything, and was also wondering if they will start to decorate for Christmas since we are on until Dec 1 or if they will wait until the Transatlantic to decorate. Anyone know? Thanks!

We were on an eastern med over Thanksgiving a few years ago. The elfs put up some Christmas decorations the night before we disembarked. I am sure by the time the next group came on, it was all done. Looked to be very magical!

You will love the pumpkin pie, especially if it is garnished with that white stuff. By the way, it is one of the most nutritionally suggested items you may consume.

We have cruised almost every Thanksgiving since 1994 (and at least 6 were on Celebrity) and they typically do not have traditional pumpkin pie. They will have something pumpkin flavored (one year it was a souffle; another it was pumpkin cheesecake). Hubby loves the whole traditional dinner. Usually the cruise line makes a valiant attempt to provide a turkey dinner but just can't get all the details right for the mass market. He still enjoys it (I prefer beef or seafood usually) and I don't want to dampen anyone's enthusiasm but I also want everyone to set realistic expectations. We'll be counting our blessings on the Eclipse this year!

We've done six cruises over the American Thanksgiving holiday (our DD gets the whole week off of school so it is a good time to vacation) - one NCL, two Celebrity, three RCCI - mostly European. Thanksgiving day (Thursday) tends to be a formal night and the line does have a special menu with seasonal offerings (generally a nice Autumnal soup choice, the traditional turkey entre with most of the fixings, and some sort of pumpkin dessert). We've always had cranberries and some sort of stuffing with the turkey plate, but whether they will have yams/sweet potatoes and some of the other traditional stuff is up to the chef and the availability of ingredients)

If turkey is on the menu, Thanksgiving or not, it would be my last choice. Give me a nice, thick cut of medium rare prime ribs of beef. :)

The turkey is my least favorite part of the traditional Thanksgiving meal, too! But I am a sucker for the rest of the traditional part. Unfortunately, my traditions are likely not the same as the person next to me, so....

I'll be on the Infinity sailing out of San Diego on turkey day this year. If I can thread in a few of my favorites with some other great food, I'll give thanks :D

The turkey is my least favorite part of the traditional Thanksgiving meal, too! But I am a sucker for the rest of the traditional part. Unfortunately, my traditions are likely not the same as the person next to me, so....

I'll be on the Infinity sailing out of San Diego on turkey day this year. If I can thread in a few of my favorites with some other great food, I'll give thanks :D

I'll be flying Lufthansa across the pond on Turkey Day, and hoping they will have brats and beer. :)

I'll be giving thanks that someone else is doing the cooking and cleaning up and I can relax and enjoy my time with good friends!

It really is very nutritious indeed. Even the seeds, which are readily available in the UK. The list of health benefits is endless. It is becoming more popular here, but mostly eaten as soup or roasted.

I'll be looking out for anything with pumpkin on Thanksgiving on the Solstice, though I can't begin to imagine it served sweet :eek:

Archived