Ryndam For Sale?

Sailaway487

Thanks for that one:) however, really interested in G&G's source for the Prinsendam/Seabourne saga;)

We just come off the Statendam on 10/16/12. Captain Albert told vb,cruisers (Carol) on the Statendam that the Ship is for sale and will be replaced with the new HAL ship in 2015 (2650 passengers). Captain Albert also told her that when this happens the Prinsendam will be replaced with a Seabourn Ship

I agree with you 200% !!

If the city of Rotterdam had a few spare bucks to buy thier ship, I can't fathom what the problem is for NY, or Soton.

I understand that the Housing association/organistation that bought the old Rotterdam has now sold her to a hotel chain.

As for QE2 it will cost millions to remove the huge amount of asbestos onboard if they want to do make what are quite small cabins into anything close acceptable in today's standards for hotel rooms. I was not suprised when Cunard bit the hand of the Nakheel (?spelling) when they offerred $100 million to them for the ship. They were facing a huge bill to clear the asbestos if they decided to scrap her.

We just come off the Statendam on 10/16/12. Captain Albert told vb,cruisers (Carol) on the Statendam that the Ship is for sale and will be replaced with the new HAL ship in 2015 (2650 passengers). Captain Albert also told her that when this happens the Prinsendam will be replaced with a Seabourn Ship

Interesting - 0bnxshs already quoted Carol's statement to our roll call. Nothing about the Prinsendam said. Why the heck would they switch the P'dam for a Seabourn ship? The Seabourn sisters are basically the same age as the Prinsendam - seems a bit strange but who knows what works in Seattle's mind:confused: If they are going to bring on one of the sisters - they are smaller than the P'dam and to add cabins to them would be a crime:eek:

Interesting - 0bnxshs already quoted Carol's statement to our roll call. Nothing about the Prinsendam said. Why the heck would they switch the P'dam for a Seabourn ship? The Seabourn sisters are basically the same age as the Prinsendam - seems a bit strange but who knows what works in Seattle's mind:confused: If they are going to bring on one of the sisters - they are smaller than the P'dam and to add cabins to them would be a crime:eek:

Seabourn now has three new ships launched over the past three or so years. They're about the same size physically, though a little narrower and shorter, as the Prinsedam but have about half the passenger capacity of the Prinsendam. There are no interior cabins. A curious choice for HAL if they were go that direction.

OK -- I will stoke the rumor fires here -- I had heard (a couple of years ago) while on the Prinsendam, from it's Captain at the time, that the Prinsendam was safe until at least 2014 ...

Now, anyone notice that the Prinsendam's Grand Africa/Med cruise in 2014 ends in Rome? That has me really concerned about her future with HAL after that time -- just speculating here and anxiously watching for the posting of future itineraries. No solid info at all on the Prinsendam's fate.

Last time I was on the Prinsendam (spring 2011) I had heard from its Captain that HAL would not produce another new build until the new portion of the Panama Canal was opened and that it would be a much larger ship. Not sure if the newly announced new build fits that criteria -- timing is right as it won't launch until after the canal should be complete -- don't remember how large the new ship will be. The reasoning was that HAL is losing in the Alaska market place as it competes poorly with all the other larger ships there.

Now, as to the Seabourn rumor -- again no real knowledge except that many have speculated that the new Seabourn hull would be just the right size to replace the Prinsendam when she goes -- but in the context that I heard this speculation it was assumed that the hull would be fitted out for HAL, not as it is for Seabourn. This latter was speculation by cruise ship staff and passengers -- nothing solid at all -- and definitely not from the Captain.

Certainly HAL could adopt or adapt a Seabourn hull but even with a more HAL-like superstructure that would be a big change for HAL. My impression is the Seabourn hull lends itself more to the yacht-like all suite cruising experience. Seems to me that HAL going in that direction would put them in competition with Seabourn and I'd think that's not something the larger Carnival Corp would want to do. Of course I'm certainly no expert and have no crystal ball. :)

I sail a lot with Thomson Cruises, and there have been rumours that they are looking at rebranding, and most likely bringing in new ships, probably from summer 2014/2015 to replace others that have leases that are expiring, which would fit in with the time-frame that HAL want. As Thomson already have three other ships that are ex-HAL, and seem to have a good relationship with them as they are currently doing a refurbishment of ex-Noordam, I'd expect Thomson to be a likely possibility to get Statendam.

I've heard not great things about Veendam, but what is Statendam like? Does it have a good passenger to space ratio, and does it have any similar plumbing and engineering problems that Veendam seems to have? It seems like a nice size ship. Large enough to have a good number of facilities, but not too large to lose its small-ship style ambience (if you get what I mean. ;)).

Randyk47 i agree with your point that Carnival may not wish to have HAL compete with Seabourn .... but

Princess, also a Carnival cruise line and the home of many behemoth size ships, operates three of the old Renaissance vessels for their longer cruises. As they have done so for years I am assuming that this segment of their cruise line is very successful.

A Seabourn hull (same size as the three new Seabourn builds) new build, fit out with HAL size cabins instead of Seabourn size suites, would no more compete with Seabourn than the Prinsendam does -- it would have a passenger complement similar to that of the original Prinsendam as delivered to HAL and it would have advantages over the Prinsendam. First it would have the benefit of more modern technology providing much better fuel economy than the older ship and second it will not have been ruined by all of the additions that were made to the Prinsendam (like the AB cabins) that overcrowded the common areas of the ship and were done poorly from the get-go.

If Princess has a place in her fleet for smaller ships for the longer explorer type itineraries -- why shouldn't HAL? I understand that the Prinsendam is getting old, and if fuel costs and labor costs were not such a big issue right now it could be refurbished and continue on as a favorite for years. When I first started cruising we often cruised ships that were pushing 50 years old and still in reasonable operating condition. But since fuel costs are a big issue at present, the possiblity of a new build with a Seabourn hull to replace the "elegant explorer" is somewhat attractive.

Archived