Ryndam For Sale?

Sailaway487

To put an end to all speculation: it is definitely the Statendam that's up for sale. I was told so by Hotel Manager Stan Kuppens on a recent Eurodam cruise while sitting next to him at the Mariner brunch.

All R and S class ships will go over the next yours as they are too expensive to maintain. Fuel costs are almost the same for the smaller ships as they are for the larger ones due to the fact that the machinery is so old, so you do the math.....

Thank you for the clarification.

I think it has been obvious that these smaller ships are not as profitable as the big ones.

With a smaller fleet, HAL could raise their prices, concentrate on more cruises of 10-21 days (vs 7), increase staffing, improve on-board experiences, etc. Maybe, just a thought.

Which makes sense as they are spread too thin with the staff.

To put an end to all speculation: it is definitely the Statendam that's up for sale. I was told so by Hotel Manager Stan Kuppens on a recent Eurodam cruise while sitting next to him at the Mariner brunch.

All R and S class ships will go over the next yours as they are too expensive to maintain. Fuel costs are almost the same for the smaller ships as they are for the larger ones due to the fact that the machinery is so old, so you do the math.....

Thank you for this information.

We all knew that it was just a matter of time.

I would doubt Louis Cruises will be chartering it at the moment ... with the current economy in Greece as it is, I would think that Louis wouldn't be looking at anything currently.

The economic outlook of a particular country's government has very little to do with the financial ability of a company doing business within that country - particularly a country like Greece where Tax-Evasion is widely acknowledged to be the National Sport.

:cool:

We love the S class ships...I remember talking with Ruth C. on the Good Nuts cruise in '09...telling her how much we'd enjoyed a few cruises on the Noordam...and she told me we really needed to try the "S" class...she was so right!

Among the prime contenders would be Saga, Thompson and Louis...

...but the HAL S-Class or Seabourn 10K Trio may also be a reasonable way for Viking River Cruises to enter into the ocean-going market without going to the trouble and expense of an all-new ship.

Except they are already building 2 new ships... Viking Ocean Cruises

I gather two of the parties interested are Thompson Cruises and Saga Cruises. Rumours heard include 2 or even 3 S Class (No guesses which S Class they are not interested in!)

Same rumours include the sale of the older Seabourn ships to the same people who bought Windstar. Possibly to be replaced with a strageic partnership with a luxury cruise ship lines which has 3 new ships and has just been sold by its previous owners to a private equity firm.

Of course all the above is just rumours scavenged from various websites and a few tales from people I know who work in the industry. I can't provide any firm facts to back them up!

I'm sorry I have to bite on this one, would that be the Veendam?:D

Latest Statendam Status: As of today the Statendam will be sold by 2015 and be replaced with a new HAL ship (2500-2600 passengers) being built in Italy and ready for service in 2014-15.

The Prinsendam is going to be replaced with a Seabourne ship.

Latest Statendam Status: As of today the Statendam will be sold by 2015 and be replaced with a new HAL ship (2500-2600 passengers) being built in Italy and ready for service in 2014-15.

Interesting about the Prinsendam being replaced by one of the Seabourn ships. Seabourn is trying to unload three of its smaller, older ships and apparently rely on their three newer, larger ships. Moving one of those would reduce Seabourn to a two-ship fleet which doesn't make sense unless their business is really down the tubes. Stange move.

And the authority for this is?????

Thanks for the info. Is this for definite then?

Source(s)?

I will be truly surprised if the Elegant Explorer is being replaced with a Seabourne ship - she's not that old yet and if she's well cared for she is fine - she's scheduled for an extensive dry dock - seems a little strange.

Last thing I heard was that HAL intended to keep this ship as she has a lot of fans and usually sails full without too much effort - where did you hear this please???

If it's true G&G has come across a real scoop for Cruise Critic members. I went over and looked at the Seabourn board and not a word about such a move. Those folks are as attached to "their" ships as HAL cruisers and are already somewhat bemoaning the loss of the three "little sisters" as they apparently fondly call the older Seabourn ships. Nowhere over there is any mention of a further loss of one of the new "big sisters" to HAL. My impression is that they'd be having a stroke, at least verbally, about such a move. :)

Is this for definite then?
In the cruise industry, nothing is definite until it happens! ;)

I will be truly surprised if the Elegant Explorer is being replaced with a Seabourne ship - she's not that old yet ...
1988 - five years older than the Statendam and Maasdam.

Source(s)?

Here's a post on our Prinsendam roll call from someone who just debarked Statendam....

According to Captain Albert, it will be the Statendam that will be sold, but not until the new ship comes out in 2015. Carol

In the cruise industry, nothing is definite until it happens! ;)

1988 - five years older than the Statendam and Maasdam.

ships can sail for a long time if they are well cared for:D:D One of Cunard's ships was 35 years old (or more) I believe?

Captain Halle Gundersen took care of his baby well - I've never seen so much supervision as to cleaning and other things as I did on this ship.

If HAL cares for her I truly believe she's got a few years left in her. After all, like wine - women get better with age:p

Archived