Ryndam For Sale?

Sailaway487

I hear you all too well Randy. Well we do the Caribbean it is just for warmth, rest and relaxation and to see some nature. Our more expensive, longer cruises have always been to the more exotic ports.:D - Europe, Australia, South America, whatever. One of the things that HAL has exceeded at has been itineraries. One of the joys of the Prinsendam (for example) is the opportunity to 'river cruise' for a day on the way to another port when possible. The big ships can't do that. It will be a shame when that ends as that is one of the joys of HAL to us:D

the smaller, more expensive ships of some of the competitive lines did not have itineraries to match when we went looking.

I'm holding out hope that several of the small ships and the Elegant Explorer stay in the fleet for a long, long time:D

The small upscale lines do have some amazing itineraries but they're like too amazing when it comes to price. On the other hand we got 14-day Silversea cruise in the Med for less than a 12-day cruise on the Prinsendam so careful shopping can work. Some of the Caribbean itineraries are great on the smaller ships but then again some of them are nothing more than what HAL does with its big ships. We've been to St Thomas enough. :-)

I don't care where we go in the Caribbean as long as I can get out of the cold north east winters. I've been to most of the islands and just want to hang out on a beach. I like the smaller ships because they are so much easier for me to navigate. Right now, it's snowing like crazy here in NY and I'm sure we're going too have an awful winter. My January cruise on Ryndam can't come soon enough.

Hmmm. The "for sale" listing for the S-class (seeming) ship seems to have been taken down. Could something have been put under offer already?

Also, The Saga Ruby is scheduled to retire in December of 2013, meaning a good time to procure a replacement would be January of 2014, which was right in the middle of the availability period listed for the S-class. Still, an S-class ship would be a large jump in size compared with the outgoing ship (although other lines are doing the same thing).

Thomson has chartered other ships from HAL in the past. They might always do it again.

As for which HAL ships might do the Grand Voyages, think about Cunard where all three ships (2 Vista sized and the much bigger QM2) all do Grand/World cruises in the January - April time frame. Potentially HAL could try a Vista class ship for these trips. Or, maybe they would keep the Amsterdam and Prinsendam for Grand Voyages along with the Vista, Signature, and Pinnacle class ships for trips 1-2 (and maybe 3) week long cruises. The Amsterdam was the first HAL ship to be fitted with Azipods, perhaps that mechanical difference would give her enough of a fuel burn advantage to stay in the fleet a few years longer than the other S-class and R-class ships.

While I hate to see HAL ships disappear, especially the smaller ones, think about the fact that HAL either needs to change their product to attract different types of cruisers or shrink their fleet so they can concentrate on the smaller group of people who like the old-school elegance that HAL previously featured more so than they do today. With a smaller fleet, HAL could raise their prices, concentrate on more cruises of 10-21 days (vs 7), increase staffing, improve on-board experiences, etc. Maybe, just a thought. Maybe wishful thinking....not that I want to pay more for HAL cruises, but it may be the only way to keep the line from becoming just like other lines instead of marching to the beat of their own drum. Even Crystal had to downsize after they expanded from 2 to 3 ships and then realized their customer base was too small for the 3 ships they had to fill.

They already have a replacement for the Saga Ruby, and the Vistas were designed for 7-14-Day cruises from what I understand, but I think one could end up with Thomson if anything.

I don't care where we go in the Caribbean as long as I can get out of the cold north east winters. I've been to most of the islands and just want to hang out on a beach. I like the smaller ships because they are so much easier for me to navigate. Right now, it's snowing like crazy here in NY and I'm sure we're going too have an awful winter. My January cruise on Ryndam can't come soon enough.

And I think that you are exactly the target audience HAL, and probably most of the main stream cruise lines, now has in mind. There's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to cruise for those reasons. Quite honestly we were living in the "frozen north" when we discovered cruising and our first couple of cruises were primary to escape winter. It was really after two or three cruises we discovered cruising for us was a great way to tour. Probably helped that we moved to Texas nine years ago and escaping winters was no longer the primary motivator. Now instead of looking to thaw out we actually focus more on where we're going. We talk cruising up, and not just HAL cruises, for all sorts of reasons from relaxation to adventure to really whatever you want to make of it or take away from it. Maybe we don't like the bigger ships but that doesn't mean they're bad, they're right now just not what we're looking for in a cruise.

So now the big question is: Who is going to buy the Statendam? :confused:

Among the prime contenders would be Saga, Thompson and Louis...

...but the HAL S-Class or Seabourn 10K Trio may also be a reasonable way for Viking River Cruises to enter into the ocean-going market without going to the trouble and expense of an all-new ship.

Among the prime contenders would be Saga, Thompson and Louis...

...but the HAL S-Class or Seabourn 10K Trio may also be a reasonable way for Viking River Cruises to enter into the ocean-going market without going to the trouble and expense of an all-new ship.

Just some more speculation, but Cyprus-based Louis would be the front runner out of those. Fred Olsen could be a candidate also:cool:

I hear you. We've already had one storm and looks like we will be getting another punch of winter over the next few days:rolleyes:. We had an awesome summer and we're going to pay for it now. At least I'm going to escape it soon.

It's snowing here now.

I would love to be on any 'dam' ship sailing to any 'dam' Caribbean island right about now. :)

Glad I'm not the only one in misery:rolleyes:. It hasn't started here yet but it's just a matter of time. The commute is going to be ugly for the next few days.

I would like to think your 'wishful thinking' was true but HAL announced a new build with two sisters possible.

Doesn't seem as though selling the "S" ships will shrink the fleet.

''refresh'' or ''upgrade'' would be more appropriate ...

;)

<snip>

Also, The Saga Ruby is scheduled to retire in December of 2013, meaning a good time to procure a replacement would be January of 2014, which was right in the middle of the availability period listed for the S-class. Still, an S-class ship would be a large jump in size compared with the outgoing ship (although other lines are doing the same thing). <snip>

Ah...the Saga Ruby aka Vistafjord...our first cruise experience...gone but never forgotten....

image_zps1b907f00.jpg

Just some more speculation, but Cyprus-based Louis would be the front runner out of those. Fred Olsen could be a candidate also:cool:

I don't know why you think Louis would want to buy these ships? They are only able to operate 2 ships at the moment, and have around 6 up for sale. Why would they want to buy more when they can't use or sell the ones they have?

I don't know why you think Louis would want to buy these ships? They are only able to operate 2 ships at the moment, and have around 6 up for sale. Why would they want to buy more when they can't use or sell the ones they have?

Thomson might be a front runner if the reports that they want to expand and improve their cruise business is to be believed. They have one ship on charter from Louis that runs out in 2014. The Thomson Spirit used to be the Niew Amsterdam when HAl had her.

Thomson cruisers are getting frustrated with the parent company, TUI, announcing 2 new builds for their Mein Schiff brand. Spirit and Celebration will soon be 30 years old and newer ships are needed.

Until proven otherwise, I'll choose to cling to the (in all probability, false) hope that the Maasdam will be spared the axe, and will be shifted to supplement the Prinsendam as HAL's elegant explorers.

I agree with you.

HAL has already been testing the Maasdam with some very long cruises from Ft Lauderdale to Europe to see what people's reactions will be and how well the ship will fill. And this is not counting the VOV that Maasdam used to do.

Maasdam is right now in Europe for the second year in a row at unusual time of year for HAL ships.... Apparently they did well enough with her doing transatlantic/Europe for this time period last year to do it again. She has a brief stint in the Caribbean this year.

I agree with you.

HAL has already been testing the Maasdam with some very long cruises from Ft Lauderdale to Europe to see what people's reactions will be and how well the ship will fill. And this is not counting the VOV that Maasdam used to do.

And the Maasdam is also doing 49 day Amazon and Carnival Explorer cruises in January 2013 and February 2014. I would love to do one of those.

To lease/charter them out like they have a history of doing;)

Maasdam is right now in Europe for the second year in a row at unusual time of year for HAL ships.... Apparently they did well enough with her doing transatlantic/Europe for this time period last year to do it again. She has a brief stint in the Caribbean this year.

And Maasdam won't be in the Caribbean too much in the winter of 2013.

I would doubt Louis Cruises will be chartering it at the moment. They have the majority of their fleet up for sale at the moment. Also, with the current economy in Greece as it is, I would think that Louis wouldn't be looking at anything currently. I think Thomson is probably the best bet.

So I guess you aren't going to be too sympathetic when I tell you it was 55 this morning in Tampa, right???

So I guess you aren't going to be too sympathetic when I tell you it was 55 this morning in Tampa, right???

Have to laugh a bit about the Tampa weather. Back in January 2003 I helped put together a conference in Orlando. I was living in the Washington, DC area at the time and figured it would be a lot nicer down there than DC. So what happens? It's the coldest winter in ages in Florida and it's warmer in DC than Orlando. :eek:

I would doubt Louis Cruises will be chartering it at the moment. They have the majority of their fleet up for sale at the moment. Also, with the current economy in Greece as it is, I would think that Louis wouldn't be looking at anything currently. I think Thomson is probably the best bet.

Louis Cruises is actually a Cypriot company and part of a company that is quite big in the Vacation industry in that Med Area.

They always have ships for sale and have no "romantic" ties to thier ships. Buy, them, use them, sell them! They are succesful in chartering ships out to numberous one-ship companies and when the charters end they put them on the market, either for sale or charter.

[Originally Posted by sail7seas viewpost.gif

And Maasdam won't be in the Caribbean too much in the winter of 2013.

Yes. :)

I was on the 45-day Atlantic Adventurer last fall and will be on the 49-day Amazon/Carnaval Explorer in January. It's the perfect size ship for longer itineraries with a more affordable per diem rate than the Prinsendam's, especially for a solo traveler. Last fall's cruise was so great I've booked myself on the nearly identical itinerary in October 2013. Yes, it was a bit cool in some ports in November into December, but at least we didn't encounter the huge summertime crowds, and it was a lot more comfortable treking through places like Herculaneum and Ostia Antica than in the hot summer months. The Maasdam is a great ship with a wonderful crew.

Archived