Ryndam For Sale?

Sailaway487

Sorry if this has already been mentioned. On a certain site (updated only a few days ago), there's a ship on their that is for sale that is 55,819 GT:

http://www.marine-consultant.com/p508.htm

Only ship I can find of that exact size is Ryndam. It says it is a ship of 1,600 passengers, which isn't correct. But, when I look at the other ships for sale, it says Thomson Majesty is a ship carrying 1,900 passengers, when Thomson say it is a ship with 1,462, so I think that the number of passengers is just an estimate.

Does the rest of the details regarding it match up to Ryndam?

Some sites seem to suggest that Statendam is also 55,819 GT. However, it says it was built in 1993, and wasn't Statendam 1992?

It says on the website that the ship wants to be given to its new owners at the end of 2013 or early 2014, or earlier if a higher price is given. It says that if it was earlier, they would cancel existing cruises.

Thought I'd post this if it is of interest to anyone, and also to see if anyone can find any more information regarding it. :)

When was the Veendam built?

According to Wikipedia 1996. Also, Veendam is slightly larger, 57,092 GT. After reading comments on here, I would have thought that Veendam would have been the first one to be sold, but it seems that perhaps not. :confused:

Could be any of the four S ships. Statendam and Maasdam both went into service in 93, so I guess they could say they were built in 92 or 93. Ryndam was 94, and Veendam 96. The "Intro to HAL ships sticky" says the Statendam is 55,810 GT. Ship capacities are usually listed for double occupancy, and exceed that when many quads or triples are full. The item says 630 cabins, so that mean 1260 as all doubles. To me this sounds most like the Statendam.

, would this mean a lot of cancelled cruises? :confused:
Probably! :D

HAL's Fast Facts sheet says the Statendam has 191 triples and 87 quads, so that would mean the 630 cabins could hold 1625 at absolute max. And that sheet says the GT is 55,819.

I went to that site and it does sound like an S class ship -- but who knows for certain.

Statendam fits the description the closest.

As for cancellations. HAL doesn't have all their 2014 itineraries posted yet. So if the sale happened soon, and if it would take affect the end of December 2013, then not oo many cruises would be affected.

A lot of "if's" here.

I went to that site and it does sound like an S class ship -- but who knows for certain.

Statendam fits the description the closest.

As for cancellations. HAL doesn't have all their 2014 itineraries posted yet. So if the sale happened soon, and if it would take affect the end of December 2013, then not oo many cruises would be affected.

A lot of "if's" here.

It's odd as it says it has a beam of 30.8 m, suggesting Statendam, but then a draught of 7.72 m, suggesting Ryndam. I think perhaps it does fit Statendam slightly more.

The obvious point, if this indeed is a HAL ship, is that HAL is starting to seriously consider unloading at least one of the S class ships. While this doesn't necessarily mean they intend to sell of of them it signals the start of that process. We still hope it'll take years and years but it'll be sad to see. Unfortunately we have no interest in the Vista or Signature class.

Going on down that page, looking at the photos of ships for sale, I recognize what had been the Song of America, Nordic Prince, what was a Crown Cruise Line ship (not sure which one)--I think, Fairsky/Sky Princess, and Atlantic.

Sad; some good vessels there.

It's odd as it says it has a beam of 30.8 m, suggesting Statendam, but then a draught of 7.72 m, suggesting Ryndam. I think perhaps it does fit Statendam slightly more.
All four S ships have the 101 ft (30.8 m) beam. The Fast Facts page doesn't list the drafts.

Click here, and then open the pdf:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=162117&d=1279037782

Going on down that page, looking at the photos of ships for sale, I recognize what had been the Song of America, Nordic Prince, what was a Crown Cruise Line ship (not sure which one)--I think, Fairsky/Sky Princess, and Atlantic.

Sad; some good vessels there.

Sailed on it when it was Thomson Destiny, and then Louis Cruises took it back and sailed it this year. Apparently Louis are looking for a quick sale of it. Nice ship.

There has been strong suggestion that Statendam and Veendam are the ships HAL would like to sell first. I think many of us would be surprised to think they would refuse any 'good' offer for any or all of the "S" ships. Maybe in a perfect world, HAL might sell Statendam and Veendam then Maasdam and Ryndam?

I have not seen any 'official' announcement but the good 'ole rumor mill has been consistently active. :D

If you look at the details:

1,600 PASSENGER CRUISE SHIP FOR SALE

630 CABINS – ALL WITH PRIVATE FACILITIES

BUILT 1/1993 BY FINCANTIERI MONFALCONE

CLASS LR

55819 GRT - 26279 NRT

219,21M LOA X 185,00M LBP X 30,80M BEAM X 7,72M DRAFT

MAIN ENGINES 2 X FINCANTIERI, SULZER (12ZAV40S) - 46,987 BHP

SPEED 20 KNOTS

PRICE IDEAS USD 180 MILLION WITH DELIVERY END 2013 OR BEGINNING 2014.

ALTERNATIVELY EARLIER DELIVERY AGAINST HIGHER PRICE.

IF EARLIER DELIVERY THE PRICE WOULD HAVE TO INCREASE SUBSTANTIALLY DUE TO CANCELLATION OF BOOKINGS ETC.

And then compare it to what Fincantieri delivered 1/1993 it appears to be similar in description to the Maasdam. As Wikipedia states it was delivered 1/1993 and even the Sulzer (12ZAV40S) is exactly what is detailed on Wikipedia's page on the right column under general characteristics.

Statendam 1993 Holland America Line »

Maasdam 1993 Holland America Line »

Costa Romantica 1993 Costa Crociere »

Per Fincantieri's website, there are 3 ships built in 1993 (above)

Given Carnival Corp just spent over $125 million refitting Costa Romantica from the ground up and calling her Costa neoRomantica now, I think the chances of this being the one on the way out is next to non-existent.

As for the other 2, we know what this means and Statendam was launched in 1992, Maasdam in January 1993.

I think Maasdam is on the way out first as they probably think they can get the most for her out of the 4 S Class. No teen oasis makes it a more generic for another line, the recent overhauls to the kids area were needed but VERY generic in contrast to what the rest of the S and R Class have.

Interesting that the price of $180 million is the price HAL bought the ship for in the first place.

Another thought is that if you are going to recycle a ship name, having a new ship with the name Veendam or Statendam could make it harder to promote the ship since what happens when you type one of those names into Google?

Maasdam on the other hand has not really run into a lot of "tough" press over the last several years and as such marketing a NEW "Maasdam" would be much easier... no confusion and no obstacles to overcome.

And while it's not HAL it IS HAL Management... Ready for something that will totally blow your mind?

HAL/Seabourn is selling the Seabourn "triplets"

THREE SMALL LUXURY CRUISE SHIPS FOR SALE

PRICE USD 90 MILLION ‘EN BLOC’

INDIVIDUAL SALES POSSIBLE

FULL DETAILS TO NAMED BUYERS

ALL HAVE 200 PASSENGER BERTHS

ALL BUILT LATE 1980’S

01SPEA.jpg

http://www.marine-consultant.com/p502.htm

Biggest part is they are looking to sell all 3. (Note "en bloc")

And then compare it to what Fincantieri delivered 1/1993 it appears to be similar in description to the Maasdam. As Wikipedia states it was delivered 1/1993 ...

The HAL FastFacts spreadsheet (see post #18) says the Maasdam is 55,575 GT and its maiden voyage was 12/3/93. The Statendam is 55,819 GT and its maiden voyage was 1/25/93, which match the specs given in the ad.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned. On a certain site (updated only a few days ago), there's a ship on their that is for sale that is 55,819 GT:

http://www.marine-consultant.com/p508.htm

Only ship I can find of that exact size is Ryndam. It says it is a ship of 1,600 passengers, which isn't correct. But, when I look at the other ships for sale, it says Thomson Majesty is a ship carrying 1,900 passengers, when Thomson say it is a ship with 1,462, so I think that the number of passengers is just an estimate.

Does the rest of the details regarding it match up to Ryndam?

Some sites seem to suggest that Statendam is also 55,819 GT. However, it says it was built in 1993, and wasn't Statendam 1992?

It says on the website that the ship wants to be given to its new owners at the end of 2013 or early 2014, or earlier if a higher price is given. It says that if it was earlier, they would cancel existing cruises.

Thought I'd post this if it is of interest to anyone, and also to see if anyone can find any more information regarding it. :)

Maasdam was brougth on line in 1993 and Ryndam came on line in 1994. I would think the Statendam or Veendam would go first.

Maasdam was brougth on line in 1993 and Ryndam came on line in 1994. I would think the Statendam or Veendam would go first.

We can only hope that you are right Father - and that it is the Veendam to go first! The Maasdam is a nice ship and we enjoyed her. When the smaller ships go we will be a real quandry!

Archived