*** The Galveston, Texas "Cruise Cam" Watch Group ***

HeHe they couldn't let RCCL have all the glory, had to try to trump Liberty! Not so much....:rolleyes:

Like you, we prefer RCCL, but I have to admit, its hard to argue that THREE ships doesn't trump ONE, even if the one is Liberty!

Not sure if the commitment to Galveston & Texas will persuade us to try Carnival soon or not, but you have to give them credit...

Slightly off topic, but since we've discussed Roatan and itineraries before...

Emerald Princess (out of Houston) in January '15 is no longer going to Roatan - their itineraries are now Costa Maya, Belize and Cozumel :confused:

Slightly off topic, but since we've discussed Roatan and itineraries before...

Emerald Princess (out of Houston) in January '15 is no longer going to Roatan - their itineraries are now Costa Maya, Belize and Cozumel :confused:

I see a fare sale! I'd much rather go to Roatan than either Belize or Costa Maya.

I see a fare sale! I'd much rather go to Roatan than either Belize or Costa Maya.

I agree, we love Roatan and since Carnival Corp has their own Mahogany Bay port I don't get the itinerary change...

But, I also hope that the added competition with 3 Carnival ships will keep the pricing more competitive. For our October trip the Navigator and Magic were the same cost... that seems to be history.

With the new Texas liquor laws, do the ships sell the drink packages upon boarding, or must one wait until International waters or day 2?

You can buy the package as soon as you get onboard. It's just that "some" of the alcohol is not served until you have gotten a bit out to sea... No biggy, there are still plenty of options until the full gammit of alcohol is served!

We went straight to the Promanade once onboard & bought our package before noon!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You can buy the package as soon as you get onboard. It's just that "some" of the alcohol is not served until you have gotten a bit out to sea... No biggy, there are still plenty of options until the full gammit of alcohol is served!

We went straight to the Promanade once onboard & bought our package before noon!

Thanks. Quick query for anyone (yes, that includes you Cindy:D) who has recently sailed out of Galveston: what beers or liquors or wines have been approved for sale by the ABC while still in port or within US territorial waters? I realize it's a limited menu but never could find a list. And I presume it's predicated on whether the cruise line procured the beverages thru a Texas distributor.

How long, barring fog delays or oil spills, did it take to clear to international waters?

Appreciate any advice.

VR,

T Lex

With the expansion of the terminal at port of Galveston finishing by fall of 2015, I hope this helps the process of check-in more smoother. I sailed from port of Galveston terminal 2 twice once this year 3/2014 and 11/2012, both times it was a nightmare chaos at the terminal during embarkation day.

Thanks. Quick query for anyone (yes, that includes you Cindy:D) who has recently sailed out of Galveston: what beers or liquors or wines have been approved for sale by the ABC while still in port or within US territorial waters? I realize it's a limited menu but never could find a list. And I presume it's predicated on whether the cruise line procured the beverages thru a Texas distributor.

How long, barring fog delays or oil spills, did it take to clear to international waters?

Appreciate any advice.

VR,

T Lex

Don't remember it all but I've had Heineken & Dox Equis while at the dock :)

I think the rule is that it has to be products purchased thru' a Texas distributor.

As for time to get to sea, it's not like the New Orleans river trip, it's maybe an hour or so to clear TX state waters, if that.

Appreciate any advice.

VR,

T Lex

Its the second (procured through a Texas source) rather than the former (approved for sale by the TABC) that controls. RCI *can* procure and serve most anything they want, but its more expensive, so they limit what they procure via Texas. I've never seen them provide a list, but essentially its generally the cheaper "house brand" stuff that's available within Texas waters.

Thank you!

Since we have MTD and the gratuities are pre-paid, I want to be sure I don't pre-pay to much in addition since we have $350 in OBC :)

Don't remember it all but I've had Heineken & Dox Equis while at the dock :)

I think the rule is that it has to be products purchased thru' a Texas distributor.

As for time to get to sea, it's not like the New Orleans river trip, it's maybe an hour or so to clear TX state waters, if that.

thanks! After 9 cruises out of Galveston I'd think I'd have remembered when the shops on Rhapsody and Voyager and Mariner opened but drew a brain cramp.

But thanks, too, for reminding me how long it's going to take out of the Big Easy next March on Serenade! Just as long as Louisiana didn't have same restrictions as Texas!! :D :D

VR,

T Lex

Its the second (procured through a Texas source) rather than the former (approved for sale by the TABC) that controls. RCI *can* procure and serve most anything they want, but its more expensive, so they limit what they procure via Texas. I've never seen them provide a list, but essentially its generally the cheaper "house brand" stuff that's available within Texas waters.

In Feb, we sailed on Navigator.... Before we set sail, hubs was able to get a Miller Lite & a tablemate got a Bud Lite... Other folks were upset because they were told they couldn't serve those yet. Then our bartender said he was mistaken to sell those yet... So had to drink something else after that. Oops!

Appreciate any advice.

VR,

T Lex

Here's the list...the magic hour for drinking anything my heart desired was 6:30 (with an on-time departure). The only wine that can be served anywhere on the ship before that time is LaTerra. They can't even pour the new house wine until they're in international waters.

Liquor Policy.pdf

Edited by Cindy

Like you, we prefer RCCL, but I have to admit, its hard to argue that THREE ships doesn't trump ONE, even if the one is Liberty!

Not sure if the commitment to Galveston & Texas will persuade us to try Carnival soon or not, but you have to give them credit...

I meant comparing their Freedom to Liberty. NOthing on their ships trumps Liberty no matter how many they have IMHO...nor could they induce me to ride one again! Just sayin.

Edited by BecciBoo

I meant comparing their Freedom to Liberty. NOthing on their ships trumps Liberty no matter how many they have IMHO...nor could they induce me to ride one again! Just sayin.

Me either! Once was enough!!

Here's the list...the magic hour for drinking anything my heart desired was 6:30 (with an on-time departure). The only wine that can be served anywhere on the ship before that time is LaTerra. They can't even pour the new house wine until they're in international waters.

Thanks for posting the details on what is served with the new Texas TABC guidelines. It's difficult to figure out all the changes :confused: Maybe we should just sail from NOLA :rolleyes:

Thanks for posting the details on what is served with the new Texas TABC guidelines. It's difficult to figure out all the changes :confused: Maybe we should just sail from NOLA :rolleyes:

Hmm...maybe we could try that in March!

I do think there are some things about Galveston and Bayport that make them less attractive to people who are coming from far away. Some of those things, like distance from the airport (Galveston) or distance to the Gulf (Bayport) can't be changed. Some of those things like port/terminal congestion are being worked on.

I wish the state didn't have so many restrictions. All they do is confuse and frustrate people. I've heard people blaming the cruise lines, when in reality it's just something they all have to work with. Is the liquor law a deal breaker? Absolutely not, but if someone has equal access to Florida, Louisiana, and Texas, it could be one more thing that factors into their decision.

In my ideal world, the state and city governments would be doing everything they can to attract and keep the cruise business here in Texas!

Edited by Cindy

Hmm...maybe we could try that in March!

I do think there are some things about Galveston and Bayport that make them less attractive to people who are coming from far away. Some of those things, like distance from the airport (Galveston) or distance to the Gulf (Bayport) can't be changed. Some of those things like port/terminal congestion are being worked on.

I wish the state didn't have so many restrictions. All they do is confuse and frustrate people. I've heard people blaming the cruise lines, when in reality it's just something they all have to work with. Is the liquor law a deal breaker? Absolutely not, but if someone has equal access to Florida, Louisiana, and Texas, it could be one more thing that factors into their decision.

In my ideal world, the state and city governments would be doing everything they can to attract and keep the cruise business here in Texas!

Very well said, Cindy. Thanks for the liquor list too. Where did you find that, I had never seen it published?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Very well said, Cindy. Thanks for the liquor list too. Where did you find that, I had never seen it published?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

The list was in our cabin on the April 6th Navigator sailing. This was our 12th time to cruise from Galveston, and the first time I've seen printed information about the Texas restrictions on liquor while in port.

The list was in our cabin on the April 6th Navigator sailing. This was our 12th time to cruise from Galveston, and the first time I've seen printed information about the Texas restrictions on liquor while in port.

Wow, surprised they actually did that, but that's great. Again, thanks for scanning and posting for everyone else! :)

It wasn't in our room, but it was sitting on every bar during our three days in port on the oil spill cruise in March.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It wasn't in our room, but it was sitting on every bar during our three days in port on the oil spill cruise in March.

Ha! Good point! They probably got so tired of explaining it over and over again the first day that they went away and put together an information sheet - which SHOULD have been provided a long time ago! :)