Just off the Nov 11th chartered Freedom

Karter

My wife and I just returned from the chartered Freedom of the Seas cruise that sailed on November 11th. Hopefully I can keep this benign enough so it won’t be deleted and anyone who is curious about how the cruise was can get an understanding of what it was really like as opposed to what some may have envisioned. My motivation for going was not to participate but to be in an adults only atmosphere.

My observations:

1. The passenger mix was just like any other cruise I have been on (70+) - all ages (except kids), weights, nationalities, etc. During the week we met a 21 year old and a 79 old.

2. During the day at the pool it was a lot like Orient beach with all states of dress at the pool.

3. At night the Promenade was transformed into a mix between Key West fantasy fest and Mardi Gras.

4. At night there were more places to dance that stayed open much later than usual. On a normal cruise after 12:00 or 1:00 the only place with music is the disco. On this sailing there were 3 to 4 venues that played dance music until 2:00 to 4:00 in the morning. Everywhere we went the places were very active with dressed up people dancing and having a good time.

5. For diamond and diamond plus passengers the diamond lounge and concierge lounges were open as usual. What was eliminated was the special parties for repeat guests and some of the in room amenities. According to the concierge there were no pinnacles, 13 Diamond + and 50 diamond members on board.

6. I suspect based on my sea pass bill and others I met on the ship the on board revenue may be significantly higher than usual.

7. I was disappointed that they cancelled quest. The charter company cancelled it because the 80’s party that was held prior to the quest game was so crowded (I would guess 2 to 3 hundred people) and popular that they didn’t want to kill the party atmosphere. The party continued to 4:00 A.M.

8. It was not unusual to see passengers still up at 5:00 or 6:00 A.M. Most nights we didn’t get to bed until 3:00 or 4:00 A.M. and we are in our 50’s.

9. Everyone we met was very nice and the cruise seemed to attract a more laid back crowd that really liked to party.

10. The Schooner bar was very popular, standing room only, maybe because the piano player modified many song lyrics into an adult nature and did sing alongs.

11. The cruise compass had all the typical shipboard activities plus “special items”. If anyone is interested I will try to find a place to post them. There’s nothing outrageous in them just locations of where passengers could meet and seminars.

12. There was a lot of extra crew on board to make sure everyone followed the strict rules on what was acceptable in public places. We had to sign a contract addendum with specific conduct rules before we could board.

13. Pharaoh’s lounge and the conference center were converted into meeting places.

14. Did not see any excessive drinking or rude behavior all week.

15. Unbelievable amount of luggage that was brought on board. We like to watch the dock activities while we are waiting for the ship to sail and I would guess 50% to 60% more luggage than usual. Possibly because of all the theme night parties. The themes were 70’s, Pirate, Mardi Gras, Rock star, white night, blue night, purple night etc. One of the passengers that we talked to said that they had to order additional trucks to accompany the transfer bus from their hotel because the all the luggage wouldn’t fit.

16. The cruise was sold out almost a year in advance.

Overall impression is it was like Key West Fantasy Fest on the ocean without the drunks. In many ways it was much tamer than I ever envisioned. I think because of the premium price (50% to 150% more than normal) it may have attracted a more upscale crowd but that’s just my observation. I posted this because I like to understand all aspects of cruising and I’m sure there are others who were curious how the cruise really was.

If the comments stay noncontroversial I maybe this thread will survive and will try to answer any questions.

Sounds like you had a great time. In port did the ship empty like normal or did the guests stay on board to stay in the lifestyle that they were enjoying?

What was the normal dress code in the diamond and CL lounge in effect?

Thanks for the unique cruise review.

Andrew

Karter,

Hello and a big thank you for the info! I have been scouring the internet looking for info on this cruise as Lia and I would like to do the Freedom takeover in 2013. We are not into the lifestyle, but do enjoy an adults only atmosphere and do like to sunbathe au naturel. Any idea what percentage of people were au naturel at the pool, pool deck, and sun deck on a typical day? Also, if you have the ability to email the Cruise Compasses, my email is mike_arruda at hotmail period com. Thanks again for your notes and happy thanksgiving!

take care,

Mike Arruda

Yes I heard it was the swingers cruise. Someone posted a nasty comment on Royal Caribbean's facebook page about it. They said they would never sail with Royal again because of the behavior they saw on board, etc. Obviously it wasn't Royal putting on something like this but an outside group who chartered the cruise for this purpose. This couple that got on the cruise not knowing the theme had quite a surprise. His post didn't generate many comments from what I saw and his post was quickly lost in the shuffle of other posters.

Yes I heard it was the swingers cruise. Someone posted a nasty comment on Royal Caribbean's facebook page about it. They said they would never sail with Royal again because of the behavior they saw on board, etc. Obviously it wasn't Royal putting on something like this but an outside group who chartered the cruise for this purpose. This couple that got on the cruise not knowing the theme had quite a surprise. His post didn't generate many comments from what I saw and his post was quickly lost in the shuffle of other posters.

Nothing we would ever take part in, ever, but you can't just "book" these cruises (fortunately) without knowing what they are. You have to book through the group that charters the ship. So, anyone who said they were onboard without knowing what it was aren't telling the truth.

Sounds like you had a great time. In port did the ship empty like normal or did the guests stay on board to stay in the lifestyle that they were enjoying?

What was the normal dress code in the diamond and CL lounge in effect?

Thanks for the unique cruise review.

Andrew

Most of the guests went on shore just like a normal cruise dressed just like everybody else.

Dress code for the CL and diamond was casual to dressed up pretty much like it always is. Maybe a little sexier dresses.

Karter,

Hello and a big thank you for the info! I have been scouring the internet looking for info on this cruise as Lia and I would like to do the Freedom takeover in 2013. We are not into the lifestyle, but do enjoy an adults only atmosphere and do like to sunbathe au naturel. Any idea what percentage of people were au naturel at the pool, pool deck, and sun deck on a typical day? Also, if you have the ability to email the Cruise Compasses, my email is mike_arruda at hotmail period com. Thanks again for your notes and happy thanksgiving!

take care,

Mike Arruda

50% topless, 25% au naturel

I'll send the compasses shortly.

I was on the Allure and you docked next to us St Maaren. If I had known there was au naturel sunbathing I would have payed closer attention :p Here is a picture of Freedom from our balcony.

zeqabaqu.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

On e of the rules is you must be dressed in port - at lease in a swimsuit per the contract we signed.

In my opinion there is no way a person could accidently end up on one of the lifestlye cruises. They can only be book through special agencies and there are contracts you sign advising the special characteristics of the cruise.

No...I doubt anyone could get on that kind of cruise and not know what they were getting themselves in to.:eek:

I wonder if the crew is given an option of not sailing on those kinds of cruises?

Some may not want to be subjected to those kinds of "activities".:(

No...I doubt anyone could get on that kind of cruise and not know what they were getting themselves in to.:eek:

I wonder if the crew is given an option of not sailing on those kinds of cruises?

Some may not want to be subjected to those kinds of "activities".:(

The crew is given an option not to sail or stay out of the public areas. What I have been told is the tips are so good that the ones that did opt out regretted it. Except for the special private areas that are run by the charter company it's not that wild.

Karter, thank you for taking time and effort to carefully word your review/summary.

I have heard the same thing about SeaPass bills and tips. ;)

Thanks

I thought maybe there were cruise critic members that would never go on one of those type cruises but still curious of what goes on. And yes I worded it carefully because I respect cruise critic and all members such as yourself that have provided a wealth of valuable information over the years. While we did not participate in any of the swinging activities (and were never pressured to) the rest of the activities were a lot of fun.

You would have to search for this type of cruise. When you go to the RCCL web site or other TA web sites the date will be missing from their schedule. For example if you go to RCCL and look for Freedom of the Seas in the month of November 2013 you will see there is no November 10th sailing listed. That date has already been chartered by the agency that arranges these cruises. More than likely a typical TA will only know that the sailing is not available but not why.

You would have to search for this type of cruise. When you go to the RCCL web site or other TA web sites the date will be missing from their schedule. For example if you go to RCCL and look for Freedom of the Seas in the month of November 2013 you will see there is no November 10th sailing listed. That date has already been chartered by the agency that arranges these cruises. More than likely a typical TA will only know that the sailing is not available but not why.

Interesting. Thank you.

Edited by Heidils

Interesting, I did not know they chartered for all type of groups. I was looking at chartered cruise once, but was quickly turned down because of the difference in price from a normal cruise. It simply did not make sense to me to spend that much more money for a different group of people on board.