Sunshine Project Surprises

tahqa

Royal is deferring design on some spaces on the Sunshine Project ships until later in the build. This means that there will hopefully be some pleasant surprises as deployment gets closer. :)

Any thoughts?

From Cruise Industry News:

On Royal Caribbean’s Sunshine-class newbuilds, a handful of spaces will remain “white spaces” until the last moment in order to respond to the latest trends, said Scott Butler of Wilson Butler.

I just want some details here, but they are being quite tight lipped this time. It seems even more so than with Oasis. The cool pics of that model that was not supposed to be online was pretty cool, but I would like some detail. YES I am VERY impatient. Just send one up here to NJ and I'll be a happy man!

I know this probably has me in the minority but… I'm finding that the lack of even a few small details being shared every few months has rather made me lose interest in the whole thing. I realize that we are still quite a ways away from an Inaugural here, but please, RC, could you just please try to keep stringing us along??

• 3 weeks later...
While on the Allure a week ago there were questions asked and they didn't say anything. They did say that there's plans for a third Oasis class ship for 2016, that was cool.

The only thing that they told us was to envision a ship that would be outward looking, versus inward looking, like the Allure. I am picturing restaurants and bars that face out to sea, rather than into a Royal Promenade or a Central Park.

While on the Allure a week ago there were questions asked and they didn't say anything. They did say that there's plans for a third Oasis class ship for 2016, that was cool.

I know this sounds like a joke, but actually it is true. One of Hubby's winter golf buddies is Finnish and just returned to Florida from Finland for the winter. He said that it has been very difficult for Royal to secure the financing for the third Oasis and assured Hubby that a third Oasis will most likely not happen.

I was bitterly disappointed to hear this because I have been eagerly awaiting the newest Oasis Class ship. But I thought what he said had some credence because he lives much of the year in Finland and probably has heard alot about this matter. Anyway, I hope he is flat out wrong.

[/color]

I know this sounds like a joke, but actually it is true. One of Hubby's winter golf buddies is Finnish and just returned to Florida from Finland for the winter. He said that it has been very difficult for Royal to secure the financing for the third Oasis and assured Hubby that a third Oasis will most likely not happen.

I was bitterly disappointed to hear this because I have been eagerly awaiting the newest Oasis Class ship. But I thought what he said had some credence because he lives much of the year in Finland and probably has heard alot about this matter. Anyway, I hope he is flat out wrong.

I really doubt that RCL would announce the building of a ship without first getting the financing. I suspect your Hubby's golf buddy is not up to date on the news.

The only thing that they told us was to envision a ship that would be outward looking, versus inward looking, like the Allure. I am picturing restaurants and bars that face out to sea, rather than into a Royal Promenade or a Central Park.

I definitely agree with this!

I just want some details here, but they are being quite tight lipped this time. It seems even more so than with Oasis. The cool pics of that model that was not supposed to be online was pretty cool, but I would like some detail. YES I am VERY impatient. Just send one up here to NJ and I'll be a happy man!

Ditto, they'd clean up in the Metro area with an all weather ship and brand sparkling new.:)

I really doubt that RCL would announce the building of a ship without first getting the financing. I suspect your Hubby's golf buddy is not up to date on the news.

I didn't think RCI had announced a 3rd Oasis ship, just the fact that they were in negotiations, which, I believe, they still are, even though the Finnish Government turned down the first proposal:confused:

Like the sound of this.

Carnival's Dream class and Norwegian's new Breakaway class both feature outward promendate. I especially like Carnival Dream that has a promenade and a lanai.

You may not be far off. If the stacked deck plan architectural models of the purported Project Sunshine ship are accurate, it appears that the superstructure of the ship is recessed between two humps, opening the promenade deck up to possible sea views and outdoor restaurants. I am assuming the lifeboats would be at lower level.

Here's a link to one of the photos showing this concept:

http://cruiseind.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/500x334xproject-sunshine-tray-model_0.jpg.pagespeed.ic_.5Q8Wl4Nb8O.jpg

I also like the forward facing solarium like on the Oasis Class

Eric

Royal is deferring design on some spaces on the Sunshine Project ships until later in the build. This means that there will hopefully be some pleasant surprises as deployment gets closer. :)

Any thoughts?

From Cruise Industry News:

On Royal Caribbean’s Sunshine-class newbuilds, a handful of spaces will remain “white spaces” until the last moment in order to respond to the latest trends, said Scott Butler of Wilson Butler.

Or they can be bold and set the trends (or listen to us). Never liked the reactionary stance in any business.

I didn't think RCI had announced a 3rd Oasis ship, just the fact that they were in negotiations, which, I believe, they still are, even though the Finnish Government turned down the first proposal:confused:

You are not far off in your comment. I just read a recent article about a third Oasis Class ship confirming that Royal Caribbean is in negotiations for a new ship with STX Shipyard. The financing issue is between the Korean owners of the shipyard and the Finnish government. I believe the shipyard owners were looking to get a large subsidy from the Finnish government for the negotiations with Royal Caribbean.

I believe you are going to get your wish. My son attended a Captains discussion on the Freedom last week. Someone asked about the new Sunshine and it appears he said it will be docked in NJ. That is so nice for all the Northerners.

Archived