Fruit soups gone on the Sun

weloverunning

:mad:Just a quick note as we just returned today from our 11-day cruise. The higher ups said it was a corporate decision. Looked for fruit soups everywhere the first couple of days. Asked the head chef (john) in the buffet who said they no longere are offering them. I asked him if they were an expensive item and he said absolutely not. His impression was that as new people come to NCL decisions are made without explanations (no turkey burgers either). The next night the Food and Beverage manager and Restaurant manager was stopping at each table to say hello. I asked them about the fruit soups and he said they still offer them in the buffet. So he calls over a server and has the poor guy go upstairs to the buffet only to come back five minutes later apologizing profusely that there were no fruit soups in the buffet. So even the Food and Beverage manager doesn't know what is offered. The only time one soup was offered was Black Cherry soup on Thanksgiving. (They must have found it in the freezer). Just a warning to NCL, if they also take away the pretzel rolls we will not hesitate to cruise another line, :eek:

Must be the same idiot that approved the cabin designs on the Epic that made this decision!! Been thinking I want to try Royal for my next cruise, if the chilled fruit soup is gone from Epic in January, that will push me even harder into looking at another cruise line.

I don't think NCL knows how favorites like this are some of the cruisers best memories. I think they'd be surprised if they really asked us cruisers this, among other questions re: ship, crew, etc.

Tell us your 5 favorite things/memories from cruising on NCL, (things you will tell your friends and family about or look forward to on your next cruise):

Here are mine:

1. Suite perks, esp. Cagney's

2. Le Bistro Soups (love them both)

3. Chilled fruit soups

4. Bar setup

5. Pretzel rolls

Instead, surveys ask the same old lame questions for the most part, IMHO.

:mad:Just a quick note as we just returned today from our 11-day cruise. The higher ups said it was a corporate decision. Looked for fruit soups everywhere the first couple of days. Asked the head chef (john) in the buffet who said they no longere are offering them. I asked him if they were an expensive item and he said absolutely not. His impression was that as new people come to NCL decisions are made without explanations (no turkey burgers either). The next night the Food and Beverage manager and Restaurant manager was stopping at each table to say hello. I asked them about the fruit soups and he said they still offer them in the buffet. So he calls over a server and has the poor guy go upstairs to the buffet only to come back five minutes later apologizing profusely that there were no fruit soups in the buffet. So even the Food and Beverage manager doesn't know what is offered. The only time one soup was offered was Black Cherry soup on Thanksgiving. (They must have found it in the freezer). Just a warning to NCL, if they also take away the pretzel rolls we will not hesitate to cruise another line, :eek:

I have yet to find these soups. On the Sun in April I asked for them and were told they did not have them then....

Was looking for them on the Gem 2 weeks ago, not listed on the menu and nowhere to be found - missed having it as a choice, it's healthier too - bored with the hot soup of chicken noodles after several days.

More work for the gallery ?? Give us a blender & we'll fix our own, I suppose - LOL.

I was never a fan. With that said, it is such a simple thing that I think if enough of you sent an email or posted on facebook, they could come back quickly. I believe posters on here feel it is a large thing fleet wide, however, if it were I think they would have never discontinued them. Try an email campaign and see what kind of response you get?

Maybe start a survey and see if the results warrant sending it to NCL.

2. Le Bistro Soups (love them both)

Everyone - excuse the off topic comment below.

Donna

Have to share a funny with you regarding the LeBistro soups on Gem in September. Mike ordered the French Onion and I the mushroom. They bring mine to the table and pour it in the bowl..tasty as always. His arrives without the crouton and cheese. He looks at it for a moment, says to me, doesn't this come with cheese? I say of course, he calls over the waiter who looks at it, doesn't seem to see anything wrong until Mike points out that his french onion soup is missing the "french" part. Waiter nods, disappears for a minute or four, reappears with a bread and butter plate holding a flat crouton with melted cheese, slides it onto the top of the soup. We laughed at the time but as the cruise wore on and we ate in LB a second time and had the Chef's Table there, we decided that Le Bistro in Gem has some sort of service issue....they just always seemed "off". Anyway, since you are the LB soup expert - should the FOS soup come with a melted cheezy top or is it standard to serve it exactly the same way they do in the buffet - here's the soup, there's a cheezy cracker to drop on top?

Clay, HILARIOUS! Yes, you are correct. The classic presentation is the toasty crouton over the thick soup with the cheese over the top and put under a salamander (broiler) or in the oven and the cheese melts on the crouton and onto the bowl (crock), sort of sealing off the soup.

What's hilarious? I get french onion soup here in Dallas at a little bistro called "Le Madeleine"... It is delicious... But they serve it with grated cheese and a few croutons about silver dollar size. They invariably fall in and it does not take but a minute for them to get soggy. I like a little soggy-but-still-crunchy crouton. So... I always ask for mine on the side at that bistro. I would have felt right at home!!!

Lived your story. And looking forward to having LB's on the Sun in March!!!

Waiter nods, disappears for a minute or four, reappears with a bread and butter plate holding a flat crouton with melted cheese, slides it onto the top of the soup. - should the FOS soup come with a melted cheezy top or is it standard to serve it exactly the same way they do in the buffet - here's the soup, there's a cheezy cracker to drop on top?

Hm...I have a Julia Child recipe that serves it as your waiter did (after you prompted, with the cheesy crouton slid on top...the first french onion soup I made at home), but usually see it served as you are used to with the cheese covering the top and broiled in the dish. I suppose the good news is that it's less caloric the Julia Child's way.

... The classic presentation is the toasty crouton over the thick soup with the cheese over the top and put under a salamander (broiler) or in the oven and the cheese melts on the crouton and onto the bowl (crock), sort of sealing off the soup ...

+1 Apology for feeding the off-topic comment but I can affirm as to Clay's comment about LB's FOS on the Gem earlier this month, now that I think about it - we ate there and DW's Four Mushroom Soup was very good, my FOS surely was different - it was loaded with onions, I sweared that they chopped, diced & simmered up a full sized onion in that bowl of mine. There wasn't much melted cheese on top and now I can barely remember the crouton. And, it was rather high in sodium - very salty, in layman's term so I ended up not finishing it. Wondering if we had the same waiter & chef working in LB.

Knowing that Vaughan Sanft, Executive Chef had send us a complimentary plate of chocolate-covered strawberries earlier to our cabin early in the week, I wasn't going to look up his hand phone numbers on the ship to ask or comment about it ... Perhaps I should have.

Penny pinching is good for the corporate bottom line, save a few here & trim a few there - it adds up with the no-frills style of food preparation & cooking or baking (i.e. proudly proclaiming that "no sugar added" to the MDR's desserts)

Food on the Gem is okay, good - but nothing more and we are trying to keep our sense of humor about it. It's not a big deal and we are still NCL (Facebook) fans that do plan to sail again soon ...

+1 Apology for feeding the off-topic comment but I can affirm as to Clay's comment about LB's FOS on the Gem earlier this month, now that I think about it - we ate there and DW's Four Mushroom Soup was very good, my FOS surely was different - it was loaded with onions, I sweared that they chopped, diced & simmered up a full sized onion in that bowl of mine. There wasn't much melted cheese on top and now I can barely remember the crouton. And, it was rather high in sodium - very salty, in layman's term so I ended up not finishing it. Wondering if we had the same waiter & chef working in LB.

Knowing that Vaughan Sanft, Executive Chef had send us a complimentary plate of chocolate-covered strawberries earlier to our cabin early in the week, I wasn't going to look up his hand phone numbers on the ship to ask or comment about it ... Perhaps I should have.

Penny pinching is good for the corporate bottom line, save a few here & trim a few there - it adds up with the no-frills style of food preparation & cooking or baking (i.e. proudly proclaiming that "no sugar added" to the MDR's desserts)

Food on the Gem is okay, good - but nothing more and we are trying to keep our sense of humor about it. It's not a big deal and we are still NCL (Facebook) fans that do plan to sail again soon ...

Thanks for chiming in. Luckily I love the Mushroom soup equally. Yum. I can make either, but it sure is nice for someone else to do the work!

I agree pretzel rolls go we might too. They are awesome

I agree - chilled fruit soups were one of the special food items we always look forward to on a cruise. I was okay with them up in the buffet but liked them better in the MDR. In the buffet, I'd just go get a bowl after dinner since most of the desserts are rather blah anyway. Completely doing away with them was not a good decision IMO. We live within driving distance of 3 ports with other cruise lines and none of those others have done away with the chilled fruit soups.

Archived