ATTENTION Platinum and Diamond - World Club Benefit Change

hcrane

Just got a call from Cunard Guest Relations (California, not UK). - He suggested we let Cunard-US know how annoyed we are with this change.

Evidently there are different rules for the UK and the US - one point he made was that purchased OBC in the US is refundable - in the UK it is not refundable. Not sure how this relates to the 20%

Back to the 20% - let them in California know that we are NOT HAPPY about this - (1-800-728-6273). We may be able to get this changed for those of us on this side of the pond.

There are two ways you can solve this.

1. Bring enough clothes to last until you've used up your OBC. (I realize that this is a problem if you've toured before the cruise and are ready for laundry when you board.)

2. Hit the bars and the sales tables right away to use up that OBC! Lots of good stuff at those sales. In fact, if you cruise soon, you might be able to snag one of the black-and-white gingham checked taffeta dresses. I saw them in Feb, and they're still on the sale racks. Don't miss your chance!!!

I suppose one thing that helps is that they deduct the tip/service charge for the voyage and the price of any pre-booked tours right at the beginning. That can eat into your OBC pretty well.

Hi 3rdGenCunarder. Thanks for those suggestions. I'll simply send 20% less items to the drycleaning/laundry service :)

I guess you missed the news about pre-booked tours: now you have to pay with credit card when booking. OBC can no longer be used for pre-booked tours. (My understanding is that if you book tours for your current voyage once on board, then OBC will be applied.)

Regarding the hotel and dining charge - in the past (most recently last January) that charge showed on my statement daily as one charge per person per day. I don't recall ever seeing the hotel & dining charged as one lump sum at the begining of the voyage, but I haven't taken a TransAtlantic - is that the way it's done on TA's? Regards, S.

This reminds me of the most negative aspect about sailing on Cunard--disembarkations, and not just at the end of a cruise. You would think they'd plan and get it right, but I have experienced extremely long lines, with people walking right up from an opposite direction and exiting right away. There's never a Cunard person around to ensure things go well.

Oddly, it is when tenders are used that their disembarkation runs more smoothly. As people show up to the designated area, numbered cards are issued and then that group is led to the gangway. That's so more civilized.

Trust me, on a 94 day cruise, you are just sick of Cunard's total loss of control.

WHAT???? That's outrageous!!! I understand that if they GIVE you the OBC, they can take that back as it's "their" money. But if you buy your OBC, or someone gives it to you as a gift, that is not "their" money, and they should not keep it.

You are so right, i had $180 left on the last evening and went to the pursers office to see about getting it back but was told that it has now changed, even if you buy the credit and dont spend it you will lose it.

It is now regarded the same as if Cunard give you it.

Good job i checked or i would have lost it, never again will i buy credit.

There's always Crystal & a few other "formal" lines, but their prices are too stiff for my taste.

Unfortunately they are also too high for my budget, I loved Crystal when they had inside cabins on the Harmony, but now they only have outside balconey cabins. I am so dismayed that Cunard are sliding at a fast rate towards becoming just like Carnival.

Have a cruise booked on Reflections (Celebrity) for later in 2013 after my Cunard March trip, (yet another Panama Canal cruise), do so wish they would bring back the East/West TA's so I could do 14 days B2B once more.

I could shake Mr Shanks, he is incapable of understanding Cunard passengers do not want QM2 to forsake the "pond" , let QV and QE do the Med, keep the "true liner" where she belongs in the Atlantic.

Just my opinion of course

Hi 3rdGenCunarder. Thanks for those suggestions. I'll simply send 20% less items to the drycleaning/laundry service :)

I guess you missed the news about pre-booked tours: now you have to pay with credit card when booking. OBC can no longer be used for pre-booked tours. (My understanding is that if you book tours for your current voyage once on board, then OBC will be applied.)

Regarding the hotel and dining charge - in the past (most recently last January) that charge showed on my statement daily as one charge per person per day. I don't recall ever seeing the hotel & dining charged as one lump sum at the begining of the voyage, but I haven't taken a TransAtlantic - is that the way it's done on TA's? Regards, S.

It has been applied day by day on a TA. Can we tell the purser "Remove the auto gratuitiy", and then reinstate it as a lump sum?

Roy

Yes, too true. Sadly, the crew made no attempt at any method of control. A few people tried to jump the queue by pretending they didn't know where the end was. People politely, but firmly, told them where the end was. Two men jumped the queue right at the door of the Britannia restaurant and would not go. Several people told them where the end of the queue was and how unfair it was on the people who had been waiting for more than an hour, but they wouldn't listen. Several of us simply refused to let them wriggle in ahead of us, but they soon found someone who gave in. At least a fight didn't break out, which is a testimony to the good behavior of those of us who had been queueing for so long.

The really worrying aspect of your little horror story is what the situation would be in a real abandon ship situation. If they can't get passengers off the ship in a controlled situation it doesn't give you much confidence with the added stress and panic as seen in the Concordia disaster that it would go well.

David.

David.

Yes, I did miss the change in pre-booked tours. Last Feb, we pre-booked, but didn't pay in advance. HAL has made you pay in advance for a while now, so I'm not surprised Cunard has made that change. I can't remember for sure about our 22 days in Feb, but I thought the hotel charge was all done on the first day. I am sure that on this last TA, the whole $77 showed up as a charge on the first day.

The change in tour payment raises another question. If a tour is cancelled, do they credit your onboard account or does the money go back to the credit card you used to buy the tour?

The really worrying aspect of your little horror story is what the situation would be in a real abandon ship situation. If they can't get passengers off the ship in a controlled situation it doesn't give you much confidence with the added stress and panic as seen in the Concordia disaster that it would go well.

David.

David.

I have been trying VERY hard not to think about that.

The change in tour payment raises another question. If a tour is cancelled, do they credit your onboard account or does the money go back to the credit card you used to buy the tour?

Good question.I think they would give you a credit back to your ship account.

David

When the tour is canceled in advance (for example, QM2 is no longer visiting Barbados on the Christmas cruise) the payment is refunded to the credit card.

And if you don't use it up before the end of the cruise...?

We have to think of OBC as separate from your on board account. If you have paid for a tour that was cancelled the money will be returned to your OBA. If you have cancelled all your gratuities and have not spent anything aboard, any credit balance will/should be returned to your credit card account. Unspent OBC, that we know can't be used for tours will be retained by Cunard, including, by Cunards twisted logic self bought.

David.

I've never understood why anyone would buy OBC for themselves in the first place. There are better ways to manage one's spending money for the cruise that don't end up being an interest-free loan to the cruise line. Add in the non-refundable nature and it makes no sense at all.

If someone who is sailing on Cunard doesn't have enough unused margin on a credit card for the voyage's spending there are always traveler's checks...

Based on the following, it appears that there are only two ways to pay the final bill: credit card or cash.

How do I settle my final bill on board?

If you wish, you can register your credit card details at check in. If you do and are happy with your final statement, your account will be settled automatically. However, if you wish to settle your on board account at the end of the voyage by cash, you should do so at the Purser’s Office.

For World Voyages you will need to settle your account at the end of each sector. These dates will be advised when you are on board.

We would recommend that you ensure your card provider is aware that you are travelling. copied from http://www.cunard.com/frequent-questions/?view=2745#tabbedModule2742

A heads up for Platinum and Diamond World Club Members with non refundable on board credit

The 20% discount on laundry and dry cleaning is only applicable AFTER your complementary on board credit has been spent.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I realize this is not a large amount of money but it is the principle of the matter.

Very many complaints were given to the CWC reps on board the voyage I just completed on QM2 but all they could do was shrug.

The pillow chocolates are also half the size the previous ones - too many were being thrown away so they decided to downsize them - "elf and safety" prevents them from being reused.

Hi there.

This change (laundry discount) has been in effect at least as far back as April, 2012 (that's when we noticed it). The CWC reps that we met at various cocktail parties at that time said that they had several complaints per day about it.

Archived