Turkey - Visas

Awesome!! Thank you! I'm taking my 82 year old grandmother for her first trip out of the country. I think she is excited, but curious about Turkey. She also asked about Vaccinations? I assume it's not something you would need just for a Day Trip? Thank you so much for the info!! I appreciate it! :)

If it is just a day stop you do not require a visa. We didn't.
This is correct. If you arrive by plane and stay overnight at a hotel, you'll need a visa. If you arrive on a ship and it's a port stop, even if the ship does an overnight, you do not need a visa. You do not need vaccinations.

You will receive a card called Landgangkarte which you have to fill in with your personal data. Keep it because you have to return it when you reboard the ship.

No special vaccinations needed for Turkey or Europe. But check your status on the ones you should have anyway like hepatitis A and B, tetatuns, diphteria.

steamboats

You will receive a card called Landgangkarte which you have to fill in with your personal data. Keep it because you have to return it when you reboard the ship.

No special vaccinations needed for Turkey or Europe. But check your status on the ones you should have anyway like hepatitis A and B, tetatuns, diphteria.

steamboats

Yep, no need for passports or special vaccinations, and Kusadasi/Ephesus is lovely.

Our last two cruise with stops in Kusadasi dd not require this (both in 2012), though seem to recall it from previous years, so hopefully that is no longer the case.

And, yes, the ship will collect your passports on boarding and return them to you after your last stop in Turkey or Greece. People who are not expecting this tend to worry, but really it is no big deal and done this way on a regular basis.

Ditto what the others have said. We did that cruise last summer with my 78 yoa mother-in-law. It was her first time to Europe. There are many not to be missed sites.

I would strongly suggest going to the Port of Call section of this board and researching each stop. We set up private tours at all stops and arranged private transfers in Rome with Rome-in-Limo. We were extremely pleased with all. Since your mom is aged she will get tired, but at least should not be as hot as summer. HIGHLY recommend the private tour route so you can go at your own pace and see what you want. My MIL was catered to at every stop. These tours are better and more reasonable than ship's tours. The only place we DIY was at Chania, Crete.

Also please don't forget to spend some time either pre or post cruise in Rome. It is fabulous!!! We rented an apartment since there were 9 of us.

Have fun, I think you have made an excellent choice!

I found the people there very friendly - shops asked you to come in and look at their wares - same as anywhere - but, after I made a purchase, and was going back to the ship - shop owners thanked me for shopping in their city - never had that before!

Enjoy!

Wow! Thank you so much for all of the replys! We just got back from Western Med and she (my grandmother) was suppose to be on that trip. Due to a bad fall breaking her hip right before the trip she had to cancel at the last minute, so this is attempt number two to get her out to see the world while she still can. I am very excited!

Thank you for the advice on Turkey, I have no idea where to take her. :)

Expect to have your passports taken away from you though. Don't be alarmed, its protocol for all non EU citizens.

Might be as good idea to make copies of the passports before you leave.

The ship's staff don't waste their time sorting out who are the EU passengers. If they take away passports to facilitate immigration clearance for the ship, they take everybody's.

The ship's staff don't waste their time sorting out who are the EU passengers. If they take away passports to facilitate immigration clearance for the ship, they take everybody's.

Do you have first hand experience of this? It seems not.

I am a british citizen, therefore a member of the EU. Myself and other EU members i met kept their passports.

I met a lot of Americans and Canadians who all said their passports were taken away at check in and were allowed to collect them on the sea day (the last day before checking out)

As per my cruise compass:

"All Non European citizens guests travelling on a passport not requiring a Schengen visa are kindly requested to pick up their passport today between 3pm and 4.30 pm in thr King & I Dining Room, Deck 5. Guests travelling on a passport requiring a Schengen visa are requested to pick up their passport on Saturday at 7.30am at the Shore Excursions Desk, Deck 5."

I will happily scan this statement if you wish to have further proof

I thank you

I am a british citizen, therefore a member of the EU. Myself and other EU members i met kept their passports.

I met a lot of Americans and Canadians who all said their passports were taken away at check in and were allowed to collect them on the sea day (the last day before checking out)

"All Non European citizens guests travelling on a passport not requiring a Schengen visa are kindly requested to pick up their passport today between 3pm and 4.30 pm in thr King & I Dining Room, Deck 5. Guests travelling on a passport requiring a Schengen visa are requested to pick up their passport on Saturday at 7.30am at the Shore Excursions Desk, Deck 5."

I thank you

It depends on what line you are on and what ports are visited.

I've just gotten off Swan Hellenic's Minerva in the southern and eastern Med, and I can assure you they held the passports of everyone on board, EU or non-EU.

I've been on ships where American passports got collected but not those of non-Americans. And I've also been on ships where non-American passports got collected but not US holders (not in the Med, however...)

So let's try to remain civil and not automatically assume someone is wrong, shall we?

It depends on what line you are on and what ports are visited.

I've just gotten off Swan Hellenic's Minerva in the southern and eastern Med, and I can assure you they held the passports of everyone on board, EU or non-EU.

I've been on ships where American passports got collected but not those of non-Americans. And I've also been on ships where non-American passports got collected but not US holders (not in the Med, however...)

So let's try to remain civil and not automatically assume someone is wrong, shall we?

The line the OP is talking about is Royal Carribbean, and as i have first hand experience with this company, i responded with my experience that is all.

If another RCCL passenger would like to challenge what i have said, then so be it! But there is no use giving information on a cruise line they are not travelling on if they go by different rule! This will just confuse the OP.

I thank you

Well, I too am a British citizen and, yes, I do have first hand experience of this, despite it not seeming so to you. I was travelling on Princess not, as you seem to have been, on Royal Caribbean.

Why on earth do you imagine I would want 'further proof' of what happened in your case? What possible reason would I have for not believing you?

The line the OP is talking about is Royal Carribbean, and as i have first hand experience with this company, i responded with my experience that is all.

If another RCCL passenger would like to challenge what i have said, then so be it! But there is no use giving information on a cruise line they are not travelling on if they go by different rule! This will just confuse the OP.

The OP's question was about obtaining a visa and she was told, correctly, by several posters that in this situation she does not need to obtain one. She was also helpfully advised that her passport might well be kept. Since the OP appears to be an American, discussions about possible differences in rules for EU citizens are hardly likely to confuse her.

Well, I too am a British citizen and, yes, I do have first hand experience of this, despite it not seeming so to you. I was travelling on Princess not, as you seem to have been, on Royal Caribbean.

Why on earth do you imagine I would want 'further proof' of what happened in your case? What possible reason would I have for not believing you?

You were patronising me, i was merely returning the favour.

And just because one company takes your passport, what makes you think another (the one the OP is travelling on and the one i was referring to) one does the same?

I was being helpful to the OP by politely informing them of RCCL's policy on keeping the passports, as some non EU citizens have become alarmed by this in the past. What is your contribution to this thread other than to cause an argument?

I thank you

Depends on the cruise line. Some take all of them others don't.

Archived