How do u do it? Cruise costs

jpolm

I would think about taking the kids out of school for part of a week. Surprisingly Thanksgiving can sometimes have good rates or look for last week of school.......

I just checked and Thanksgiving week is a super low rate....... Really they only miss two days of school if you take them that week.....same as a cold:)

Just this would be a really fun cold!!!!!!!

Yes I saw that too.

Ok I've just got to ask so many repeat guests of cruising. This will be my 2nd time and I'm trying hard to afford a cruise on oasis or allure I really don't want another ship. But we are in Los Angeles (horrible cruise choices here) and I live the Caribbean. But family of 5 needing 2 rooms (for bathroom and privacy) and air this is costing the same if not more than our Hawaii vacations and close to our Mexican all inclusives. I've noticed u have to book out way in advance. Any helpful hints? Remember I have kids so we only can travel summer or spring break. I really wanted to try this out for June 2013. If we get one room it's affordable. But that's crammed for us.

Anyways I had to ask

Love all the reviews.

5 people is a tall order. My suggestion would be to do a cheaper cruise or cruise just with your spouse.

I pay for everything with credit cards. The key is to log each of your receipts into a budget book and stick to your budget so that you can pay off your cards every month. By doing so I save a ton on travel. I do not buy things just to build up points. They are daily living expenses.

For our next cruise on the Allure I am using 4 cards:

RCI Visa - I primarily use this card for RCI purchases, such as paying for the cruise, excursions and specialty restaurants. At double points they add up quickly. I will have about $200 OBC to use on the ship. I will pay off the cruise early to maximize this and any shipboard expenses we incur on this cruise will go toward my OBC on the next cruise!

Southwest Airlines Visa - I just got this card when they were running a special. Put $1,000 on the card in a 3 month period and you get 50,000 free miles, enough for two round trip tickets! That was no problem for me since I put everything on cards. I got those tickets quickly. Our total flight cost was $55 for the two of us from Phoenix - a mandatory fee of $15 for some government security program and I paid $10 pp each way for early bird check-in.

Costco American Express - I use this for all Costco purchases, including gas and sometimes for eating out. I will cash in my yearly reward for some cruise cash. I expect the total to be another $200 cash.

Discover Miles - This is my primary card. I like it because I can use the points to deduct from any travel related item, like cruises, rental cars & hotels. I will use my points when I make final payment next month to cover $500 off the price of the cruise . Then I will have until the end of the month of May when my post cruise bill comes due to apply what I have accumulated in points since final payment to my hotel bill. I am sure it will be at least another $100. (It has to be in $100 increments).

The key is to watch for CC deals & PAY OFF YOUR CARDS EACH MONTH! Do not use your cards for things that will cost you more to use than the reward, such as some of our local utilities (they charge 3% to use a cc. Not worth it for a 1% reward!) Look for ways to maximize your rewards. Discover often has days or specials when all purchases made on a special day or week will get 2% or more back, but I have to sign up for them and remember to save my shopping for that day. My Costco AX has the best return on eating out and gas. However, since they only pay the cash reward once a year and it will be past final payment for our cruise I am not using that card as much as I have in the past. I may switch my primary card depending on my goal at the moment.

So - including the current price of our SWA flight we are saving $1,957 on this vacation by just using my cc's for our expenses whenever I can. Not bad.

Just a couple of final thoughts -

*I did not accumulate this in just a few months or even a year. it took me closer to 1 1/2 years.

*I agree that the best budget saver is booking your cruise during non-peak times. The savings are significant and helps make cruising affordable to me. I do not have an unlimited vacation budget.

*We took a total of ONE non-family visiting vacation the entire years my girls were growing up. That was the Big Red Boat & Disney World when my youngest was 10 years old. It took me two years to save for that vacation. Our next vacation was to celebrate my youngest daughter's college graduation when we went with the entire family on the Explorer of the Seas in 2005. Only since then have my DH and I been able to afford to vacation together regularly. While I know there are many families on these boards who are blessed enough to be able to afford multiple cruises while their kids are growing up we were not one of them. They are not the norm in today's economy. However, using some of the tips I listed above and other great advice you received form others plan far ahead and you should be able to go and enjoy your family cruise. It will be a forever memory for you all.

Don't bet on that one!!! College cost and then apartment and furniture, car expenses, auto insurance...the list goes on and on...weddings, honeymoons, and then there are the grandchildren!!! I spend more on them than I did my own children!!! But, know what? Every penny and every memory is worth it!!!

Way OT but this is such a crazy mindset that seems so pervasive. If your "child" is an adult why would you feel responsible for their college, apartment, furniture, car and auto insurance? Or their wedding or honeymoon? Not only would my parents have never paid for any of that for me, I was raised in a manner in which I would have never accepted it! Adults pay their own expenses. If they cannot afford something they either work more or they go without.

Back on topic? I second what everyone has said - look for the discounts. Unfortunately if you are booking in the six month period, you are probably booking at the highest prices. So find sales, use points and cash back and as for air fare? I feel your pain. I lived on the West Coast a few years and those flights are NOT cheap.

Sunny AZ Girl, your strategy is almost identical to ours. The only thing we do differently is hotels. We spend a lot of Saturday nights in Fort Lauderdale and Tampa, and use Marriott's rewards program. We have a Marriott Rewards Chase Visa that builds up points but the best part is the "stay two nights, get one free" that is available frequently. We stay at moderate Marriott hotels when we pay (Fairfield Inn, Courtyard), then use the free night for nicer properties. Last summer we paid for two nights that were $70-$76 (off-season in Florida), then used the free night at the Inner Harbor Baltimore Fairfield ($240). It is a game and is fun to play, isn't it?

Sunny AZ Girl, your strategy is almost identical to ours. The only thing we do differently is hotels. We spend a lot of Saturday nights in Fort Lauderdale and Tampa, and use Marriott's rewards program. We have a Marriott Rewards Chase Visa that builds up points but the best part is the "stay two nights, get one free" that is available frequently. We stay at moderate Marriott hotels when we pay (Fairfield Inn, Courtyard), then use the free night for nicer properties. Last summer we paid for two nights that were $70-$76 (off-season in Florida), then used the free night at the Inner Harbor Baltimore Fairfield ($240). It is a game and is fun to play, isn't it?

Yes, it is fun! And you have just given me another strategy to add to my own. Nice. Thanks!:cool:

The only thing is, I usually use Priceline for hotels. I get great prices, so it may be a wash. I just stayed 3 nights in Chicago at a 4* hotel for $55/night. We spent 5 nights in Southern CA last spring in 4* hotels and never spent more than $70/night. We are paying regular price for this one since we want a specific hotel and we will be traveling with a group of friends, so we want to be together. We once again booked very early (as soon as our dates were released). Prices for our April dates have increased significantly since then, so we still got a fair price.

We can also use our Discover Miles to pay for our Priceline Hotels. I always bid for 3.5 - 4* hotels so I have never had a bad hotel going that route. The only thing is I would not recommend Priceline for a family since you are only guaranteed a room for two. - and you may not be able to choose a room with two beds, or even be able to get a roll away. If you are willing to bid for two rooms and split up for the night then you would be ok, but price wise you may be better off using your strategy.

I normally wait to book my cruises after final payment due date has passed. The ship is gonna sail, and the lines usually discount the remaining cabins; sometimes the discounts are DEEP.

In 2011 I got a RFS for LESS than a superior outside.... and the suite came with numerous amenities.

There are several sites that monitor price fluctuations; find one and watch it on a daily basis.

There are also sites that compete for your business by offering perks (ie, prepaid gratuities, free travel insurance, and/or OBCs.) Find one of them and ask for quotes.

Finally, I have found that my local travel agents do not do enough volume to qualify for some of the better rates offered by online cruise travel agents.

PS: I make a spreadsheet which lists ALL costs associated with the cruise(s) I'm contemplating (ie, boarding costs for pets; travel to/from the port; hotels, etc.) This gives me a clearer picture of what the cruise is actually gonna cost.

Good luck....

PSS: I have been on over 60 cruises; only paid full-price for the first couple of cruises, back in the 70s and early 80s, because I didn't know any better....

Cheryl - that is a good strategy for someone who can book at a late date. Do you have to fly to the ports? Airfare booked late can often offset the cruise savings. Also, for my work I have to give quite a bit of notice, so the late bookings would not work for me.:(

Hi, Sunny AZ Girl. I live in Texas, 90 miles east of Houston. I like to drive to Fort Lauderdale. It is only 1100 miles each way. Besides that, I like to bring a lot of liquid stuff with me. LOL!!!!

As far as booking after final payment, most ships require booked pax to pay 60-90 days in advance. But, being retired, I am available to travel with 5-7 days' notice.

I too watch the prices like a hawk - for our next cruise (5 cabins) so far we've managed to keep over $3600 in OUR pockets not Royal Caribbean's ;) When sailing with a group I always strategically place a newbie with a C&A member in case of balcony/savings certificate discounts and if we have enough 55+ I factor them in to the mix too. I had to juggle names last night since we had late bookers/newbies/under 55's. By swapping a 55+ C&A member with a newbie we saved $1700!

For hotels I usually book with PL and typically get $180-$250 hotel rooms in the $60-80 range. Have friends who were adamant about getting starwoods points for a free night. Once I explained that basically if you're willing to do your homework and take the chance you can pretty much buy one get one night free with PL/Hotwire. I have only had one 'meh' experience and that was getting the Westin on Hollywood beach for $100/night and then having to pay $30/night parking - even still it was much cheaper than booking even a Best Western at regular prices.

Ok I've just got to ask so many repeat guests of cruising. This will be my 2nd time and I'm trying hard to afford a cruise on oasis or allure I really don't want another ship. But we are in Los Angeles (horrible cruise choices here) and I live the Caribbean. But family of 5 needing 2 rooms (for bathroom and privacy) and air this is costing the same if not more than our Hawaii vacations and close to our Mexican all inclusives. I've noticed u have to book out way in advance. Any helpful hints? Remember I have kids so we only can travel summer or spring break. I really wanted to try this out for June 2013. If we get one room it's affordable. But that's crammed for us.

Anyways I had to ask

Love all the reviews.

For us. RETIRED with empty NEST.:)

Hi, Sunny AZ Girl. I live in Texas, 90 miles east of Houston. I like to drive to Fort Lauderdale. It is only 1100 miles each way. Besides that, I like to bring a lot of liquid stuff with me. LOL!!!!

As far as booking after final payment, most ships require booked pax to pay 60-90 days in advance. But, being retired, I am available to travel with 5-7 days' notice.

(Deep sigh....) In 8 more years I will have that kind of freedom, God willing.:) If they would put some ships back in CA I would be more tempted to book late specials, too.

What kind of discounts do C&A members enjoy? Do these discounts improve as you accrue higher status in the program?

I tried pricing out a future cruise at a "returning cruiser" price, but without a C&A membership number it wouldn't show me the prices. (My first cruise is in just a few weeks.)

Royal's balcony discounts are not applied via the website. You must first book a cruise, and then request the discount be applied. The discounts increase as your status in C&A rises. The discounts are per stateroom, not per person, and only one person in a stateroom need be eligible. Here are the discounts:

Platinum Balcony Discount When Booking More Than 6 Months From Sailing Date:

$ 50* for sailings of 3-5 nights

$100* for sailings of 6-9 nights

$200* for sailings of 10-14 nights

$200* for sailings of 15+ nights

Emerald Balcony Discount When Booking More Than 6 Months From Sailing Date:

$ 75* for sailings of 3-5 nights

$125* for sailings of 6-9 nights

$225* for sailings of 10-14 nights

$225* for sailings of 15+ nights

Diamond Balcony Discount When Booking More Than 6 Months From Sailing Date:

$125* for sailings of 3-5 nights

$225* for sailings of 6-9 nights

$325* for sailings of 10-14 nights

$325* for sailings of 15+ nights

Diamond Plus & Pinnacle Balcony Discount When Booking More Than 6 Months From Sailing Date:

$150* for sailings of 3-5 nights

$250* for sailings of 6-9 nights

$350* for sailings of 10-14 nights

$350* for sailings of 15+ nights

*When booking less than 6 months from sailing date subtract $25 from each dollar amount.

We live in Florida, so we don't even have to worry about airfare - and it will still probably be many years before we could do an Oasis/Allure type cruise. We have 1 mortgage, 2 kids, 2 car payments, and 3 dogs. It just doesn't fit our budget. So, we sail on the smaller ships. We just got home from the Monarch on Monday. We had a fabulous time! Don't count those out just because the bigger ships seem more alluring....get it? "Alluring?" :)

I'll tell you something else - we don't break the bank - and we don't come home bummed about how much we just spent on our trip!

Being here on the West Coast, our choices are very limited right now and since we generally can manage a cruise every 2 to 3 years at best, we pick and choose carefully. I probably would like to cruise more often then DH but again it is the finances that dictate when & where we go. I pretty much decide where and when we will go, as DH doesn't really care as long as I allow him to come.:D I let him know when it is time to pack and take care of all the needed paperwork.:)

Being here on the West Coast, our choices are very limited right now and since we generally can manage a cruise every 2 to 3 years at best, we pick and choose carefully. I probably would like to cruise more often then DH but again it is the finances that dictate when & where we go. I pretty much decide where and when we will go, as DH doesn't really care as long as I allow him to come.:D I let him know when it is time to pack and take care of all the needed paperwork.:)

Me too I am the travel agent for the family. He just has to pack and show up! Lol

What kind of discounts do C&A members enjoy? Do these discounts improve as you accrue higher status in the program?

I tried pricing out a future cruise at a "returning cruiser" price, but without a C&A membership number it wouldn't show me the prices. (My first cruise is in just a few weeks.)

You can do even better with the C& A coupons than the status discounts. We got $100 off our suite for being Platinum. Then the coupons came and we used the $150.00 coupon instead of the Platinum discount. Too bad they don't allow you to piggyback the discounts.

As for the OP's original question - we cruised 3 times this year and have 2 cruises booked for 2013 thus far as well as an all inclusive week in Mexico booked. We both work, have no debt, the house is paid off, and we've never ever had a car payment. We have lots of disposable income after the bills are paid in addition to saving about 30% of our earned income and 100% of our unearned income each month. We lived well below our means from 1974-until about 3 years ago. Then we decided to spend it before we kick the bucket. Our retirement is fully funded, even if social security and medicare go away.

We each lost both our parents and our older brothers (mine was 60 his 63) in the past 3 years and I lost 2 first cousins who were only in their early 50's. We have a whole new attitude - better get busy living or get busy dying. We don't want to wait until we retire to enjoy the money we have socked away because by then we may be too ill to enjoy it. Now, we only fly first class and take full suites. Our onboard spending is low because we don't drink much and gamble very little. Excursions and alternative dining and tips are paid in advance.

I pay for everything with credit cards. The key is to log each of your receipts into a budget book and stick to your budget so that you can pay off your cards every month. By doing so I save a ton on travel. I do not buy things just to build up points. They are daily living expenses.

Our total flight cost was $55 for the two of us from Phoenix - a

regularly. While I know there are many families on these boards who are blessed enough to be able to afford multiple cruises while their kids are growing up we were not one of them. They are not the norm in today's economy. However, using some of the tips I listed above and other great advice you received form others plan far ahead and you should be able to go and enjoy your family cruise. It will be a forever memory for you all.

Thanks I just thought I'd look , I've got some points for a flight with united so need to keep adding that up and with my Amex, spgflights. I have probably have 3-4 flights from lax to fll. Cool! Now gotta put the deposit on my rci visa and get triple points! Does anyone know when spg points expire? We've had them for a long time hoping to use them for our next Maui trip. .

Yes as most people are saying you have to be creative, our boys are 20 24 now but they have sailed since they were babys. We always took inside cabins with 4 of us sharing and had now problem. We also took our kids out of school which some of you have suggested too. We typically traveled in the fall when the prices are cheaper and booked while on board to take advantage of the on board credits. We typically took longer cruises with many sea days. We found that there were fewer children on board they got more attention for the adventure ocean staff and we always had a great time. Now that they are both working, oldest just bought his second house and the youngest is about 4 hours away from us, we try to get together and do and anual cruise together. We are sailing with the oldest and his girl friends coming up in a couple of weeks unfortunately our youngest is not coming as he has started a new job and didn't want to ask for the time off. His girl friend is also writeing exams at univercity so we will dearly miss them.

We also drive old cars, work two jobs, try to be very thrifty with the rest of our lives so we can travel more. We try to do 6 weeks every year now.

Happy Sailing

Brian J

There was a time when you could piggy back all the discount programs.

I rememberr we had a cruise were we booked on board there was a crown and anchor coupon, we are also share holders and got that on board credit and right before the cruise the price dropped way down and we got that too. We paid like 600 for a 11 day cruise and we had 300 on board credit LOL :eek:

too bad those days are gone.:rolleyes:

Archived