Question on flights with Air New Zealand

We are heading off in the New Year to USA for just over ten weeks cruising and need to take summer and winter clothes. Luckily we will have free laundry with Princess, but we still need a fair bit of 'stuff'.

My question relates to luggage weight limits. Our checked luggage is limited to one suitcase each, maximum weight 23 kg. Air NZ website says that hand luggage is limited to one piece weighing 7kg, plus a 'thin' lap-top bag and it also mentions a 'hand-bag'.

My questions - does Air NZ usually weigh hand luggage at check-in? Can a woman take a lap-top bag and a hand-bag (as well as a 7kg roll-along case)? I could get an answer to this last question by phoning Air NZ, but they wouldn't answer the question on weighing hand luggage. I would just get the standard reply regarding the weight limit.

By the way, I don't really want to take a whole lot of separate pieces of hand luggage, but I am just thinking about my options before I start packing. We are going on a few different cruises while we are in USA and have booked hotels plus a lot of private shore tours. Every booking has at least a couple of sheets of paper (and instructions to "bring this with you"). I think the paper alone will weigh a couple of kilos.

We are in exactly the same position as you. The 7kg, laptop plus handbag will be fine. Flying Syd to Miami via Dallas, then 3 cruises, Caribbean, Calif coastal and Alaska, plus more flights and land inbetween. I am taking a larger lightweight handbag to place my laptop purse etc in. Just to make it easier re carrying it all. Like a small beachbag, only with zipper....that looks like a shoulderbag. Then have a smaller handbag in checked luggage to use whilst over there. Once at Syd customs I will simply lift out the laptop as required. I am going to carry/wear (maybe) my parka and place it in overhead.

Agreed, the paperwork is a pain. I have printed some out on both sides of the paper, to halve the weight. I have copied all into my email, just incase. I also have read a suggestion to have a printout of your itinerary placed inside and on top of checked luggage, incase they go astray. Mainly with the dates/phone numbers of your hotel stays.

We are going to look really odd, boarding for a Caribbean cruise with parkas. I may have to disguise it in a shopping bag when boarding for the first cruise!

Hope you have a great time. Looking forward to reading any tips you may have.

Jen

We flew back this year on Air NZ from San Francisco to Sydney, via Auckland (change of aircraft there). Our cabin baggage was weighed at check in after our suitcases were put on the conveyor belt at the check in counter. We had been away for 3 months, cruise Sydney to Southampton, a month in UK touring by car and a week in San Francisco so we had a heap of gear, but with 23kg bagge allowance and 7 kg cabin baggage each, we managed it..just. !

I think that weighing of cabin baggage depends on the airport check in staff and/ or whether or not the aircraft is at capacity. We flew back on Boeing 777 and 767 for the above flights.

One could always post some 'stuff' home I suppose if retail therapy has been frequent !

This may be of some help to you...

You are welcome to bring your belongings on board as carry on baggage, with maximum allowances and restrictions detailed below.

The allowances stated below apply to Air New Zealand operated flights only. If your flight is operated by an Air New Zealand partner airline, you will need to check your allowance with the airline operating the service.

In addition to your allowance, you may also carry on board one small personal item such as a handbag, slimline laptop or duty free goods (where permitted). As a safety precaution, all cabin baggage must be able to fit in the overhead lockers or under the seat in front of you.

Anything in excess of the dimensions and weight allowed as listed below will need to be repacked as part of your checked baggage allowance and excess baggage charges may apply.

To find out if certain items may be taken on board, please check restricted items. Please note there are restrictions on using electronic equipment on board.

If you are travelling to, from or via the UK or US, please see important information regarding current carry-on baggage restrictions.

International flights

• Economy Class customers may take one piece of cabin baggage with a maximum weight of 7kg (15lbs) and maximum total dimensions (length + width + height) of 118cm (46.5").
  • Business Class, Premium Economy* and Star Alliance Gold customers (including Airpoints Gold and Gold Elite) are permitted two pieces of cabin baggage each with a maximum weight of 7kg (15lbs) and maximum total dimensions (length + width + height) of 118cm (46.5").
  • Exception: Only one piece is permitted for travel to, through or from USA including Honolulu.

* This Premium Economy baggage allowance only applies on Air New Zealand flights. If part of your journey includes codeshare flights or flights on other airlines the baggage allowance for Economy will apply.

Laptops

Laptops in a thin satchel are considered a personal item, however laptops in larger computer bags are counted as one piece of cabin baggage.

thin-laptop-satchel-140x160.jpgThis thin laptop satchel is considered a personal item and is permitted in addition to your usual cabin baggage allowancelarge-laptop-satchel-140x160.jpgThis large laptop satchel is counted as 1 piece of cabin baggage allowance

I flew Air NZ from LA to Auckland in October this year. They only weighed my checked in bag. I had a backpack that I took on board with me. However, it was under the 7 kg limited.

Its sounds like your looking to take a lot of luggage onboard with you. Can you not get it all into your roll on suitcase? If they start seeing a person with extra luggage it may prompt them to ask questions and start weighing it. It all depends on the check in crew and how full the flight is.

I flew from Sydney - Auckland - LA in Sep with ANZ. They weighed my hand luggage at check-in at Sydney and the couple in the queue before me had been asked to remove stuff from their hand luggage as it was overweight. It was a pretty full flight so that my may have impacted it.

For my hand luggage I had a regular size backpack plus a very small handbag. They only weighed the backpack and attached a label to it.

On the way home they didn't weigh my hand luggage in LA.

Word of warning.

I have not read everyone's comments as there is too much..but if someone has said otherwise pay no heed.

In my 3 trips to the USA AND numerous domestic flights they always weighed hand luggage. And they will make you stick things into your hold luggage if its over...I have not had one occasion they didn't weigh my luggage. Leaving Australia..not a problem nor leaving NZ.

My point is its not only leaving NZ you have to worry about if your traveling...you could be affected by any flights within the US.

I have flown with Air NZ many times now and they sometimes do check your hand luggage weight and size. They are having a crack down on excess luggage currently, so I would advise staying within the limits they have set.

What we are doing for our next cruise is taking an extra bag. This can be pre purchased or added onto your flight when booking. An extra bag (23kgs) to the US is costing us $NZ95.00 each way and is well worth it for us. If you pre purchase then it is cheaper and they will not refuse it at check in. If you turn up with excess baggage at the airport the costs are huge and they can also refuse to take it if they are overloaded.

I have flown with Air NZ many times now and they sometimes do check your hand luggage weight and size. They are having a crack down on excess luggage currently, so I would advise staying within the limits they have set.

What we are doing for our next cruise is taking an extra bag. This can be pre purchased or added onto your flight when booking. An extra bag (23kgs) to the US is costing us $NZ95.00 each way and is well worth it for us. If you pre purchase then it is cheaper and they will not refuse it at check in. If you turn up with excess baggage at the airport the costs are huge and they can also refuse to take it if they are overloaded.

Hi,

Thank you everyone for your advice. It looks like we will have to stick strictly within the weight limits or pay for an extra bag.

I looked at the extra bag option, but I think we have to pay for the Aust-NZ leg plus the NZ to USA leg. That makes it rather expensive.

We don't have any domestic flights within USA - they are all cruises.

Several weeks ago I had looked at the AirNZ website that Jilly quoted. It appears that pax can carry either a handbag or a slim lap-top bag.

Thanks everyone for their help.

You might find from your origin to your destination without overnight stopovers the payment for the luggage will be the one fee for all the flights concerned.

We are doing same on QF and we have a Domestic sector prior to our International flight and the extra paid luggage covers from our origin to our destination as we're not overnighting anywhere along the way.

Jilly:)

Another thought related to your enquiry, but more generally related to others travelling to cruises elsewhere - is how much baggage can you physically handle ?.

On our last flight to the UK with Singapore Airlines, we actually had a single bag allowance of 30 KG. Now I know how heavy 30 kg is and even when in a wheeled bag, I knew that it was too much for me to handle. So when we left Oz, our bags weighed around 23 KG each. But by the time we flew home they had "grown" to around 27 KG each. Even in a wheeled bag, this was at the limit of our abilities to carry/wheel. We were caught out when going on the Eurostar in London - we had to lift our bags onto a security "escalator" - this was waist high, and although I was able to lift 28 KG waist high, I wondered how others may not be able to do so.

As has been said before - before you travel, put all your clothes and money that you intend to take on the bed on the night before you travel - then half the clothes and double the money before you pack it!!

Barry

Another thought related to your enquiry, but more generally related to others travelling to cruises elsewhere - is how much baggage can you physically handle ?.

On our last flight to the UK with Singapore Airlines, we actually had a single bag allowance of 30 KG. Now I know how heavy 30 kg is and even when in a wheeled bag, I knew that it was too much for me to handle. So when we left Oz, our bags weighed around 23 KG each. But by the time we flew home they had "grown" to around 27 KG each. Even in a wheeled bag, this was at the limit of our abilities to carry/wheel. We were caught out when going on the Eurostar in London - we had to lift our bags onto a security "escalator" - this was waist high, and although I was able to lift 28 KG waist high, I wondered how others may not be able to do so.

As has been said before - before you travel, put all your clothes and money that you intend to take on the bed on the night before you travel - then half the clothes and double the money before you pack it!!

Barry

A very good point Barry, most of us 'Baby Boomer Cruisers' are getting a little older each year. E.G. When we got off Arcadia at 'Southampton after 7 weeks from Sydney, we had some heavy, big bags, got sick of dumping them in and out of our Peuegot 207 rental car we had for a month in UK, plus then onwards to San Francisco, more lugging of bags.

The Golden rule, be cruel in your packing and even dump your tuxedo, post cruise, like I did. (Sorry Baz.) LOL.

The Golden rule, be cruel in your packing and even dump your tuxedo, post cruise, like I did. (Sorry Baz.) LOL.

Les -- there are things in life that we should do - and things that we should NEVER do -- unfortunately you have crossed that line!! :mad:

Barry

Hi – some advice from someone who has flown Air NZ many times between AU and the US. Be careful on the AU/NZ sector, many of these flights are on A320 aircraft, and as these are smaller aircraft ground crew tend to be very strict on hand carry. I have often seen arguments at Auckland airport when boarding the Sydney sector, passengers have been able to fly to Auckland with their Hand Carry but when they go to board the Sydney sector, they are being asked to check the bag in at the gate. Just keep in mind the all Economy flights on the A320 don’t have the overhead space the larger aircraft have.

However, that being said they are a great airline.

That is a good point - thanks for that advice.

We flew with Emirates Auckland to Sydney once on a Boeing 777. It was the most uncomfortable flight I have ever made. When we got home, I went searching for answers as to why. Turns out that Emirates are the only airline that use a 3-4-3 seating configuration on their Triple 7's - all other airlines use a 3-3-3 config. This is why I will never fly with Emirates to Europe - as they often use the 777 for one leg of the flight .

Barry

That is a good point - thanks for that advice.

We flew with Emirates Auckland to Sydney once on a Boeing 777. It was the most uncomfortable flight I have ever made. When we got home, I went searching for answers as to why. Turns out that Emirates are the only airline that use a 3-4-3 seating configuration on their Triple 7's - all other airlines use a 3-3-3 config. This is why I will never fly with Emirates to Europe - as they often use the 777 for one leg of the flight .

Barry

Barry, sorry for 'crossing the line' re dumping my Tux in Lincolnshire post Arcadia. I know Tuxedos are close to your hear old son.

Anyway back to topic, we are returning from Solstice cruise in March on Emirates A380, Auckland to Sydney. That is the Dubai Flight EK413 that commences in Auckland and goes through Sydney. Probably the same flight number you were on the Boeing 777, I don't like those aircraft either. I am a 380 or 747 man.

Seriously, how much stuff do you actually NEED during your flight. I can't believe the size and weight of the steamer trunks people try to cram into the overhead lockers. Sure, keep valuables, medication, some toiletries, maybe a couple books, travel docs, even a change of clothes in case your suitcase goes walkabout for a few hours, but that's about it for me.

Much of this confusion and uncertainly could be avoided if the airlines consistently enforced their own rules.

Seriously, how much stuff do you actually NEED during your flight. I can't believe the size and weight of the steamer trunks people try to cram into the overhead lockers. Sure, keep valuables, medication, some toiletries, maybe a couple books, travel docs, even a change of clothes in case your suitcase goes walkabout for a few hours, but that's about it for me.

Much of this confusion and uncertainly could be avoided if the airlines consistently enforced their own rules.

ABSOLUTELY!! It is because they are inconsistent in applying their own rules that this occurs. It seems to me that this "problem" has also increased since they started charging for baggage. I am sure that many try to get around the baggage charge by attempting to only use so-called hand luggage, instead of paying for a bag. I am constantly amazed at what lengths some people will go to to save 10 bucks!! :rolleyes:

Barry

Turns out that Emirates are the only airline that use a 3-4-3 seating configuration on their Triple 7's - all other airlines use a 3-3-3 config.

Not quite the only ones. I had the misfortune of flying Lauda's 777 (now Austrian) in a 3-4-3 config. Thai and BA also have the 3-4-3 config on some craft.

I'll be on Emirates 777 next year so will have the joy of that config again!

My question doesn't relate to what we will need during the actual flight, but what we will need for ten and a half weeks cruising in very hot and very cold weather (Panama/Caribbean then down to Cape Horn) plus a few days on land in San Diego and Fort Lauderdale. We also need formal clothes and when ladies are on a seven week cruise they don't want to wear the same outfit every formal night.:) The guys can wear the same tux/shoes and simply have the shirt laundered.

By the way, while we are away we will be doing some work, so need to take work 'stuff' and also a small amount of appropriate clothes that are not cruise-casual or cruise-formal.

I don't think it is practical for us to have an extra check-in case. We have our system worked out where the two of us can manage to 'move' (not carry) two large suitcases, two hand luggage and one mid-size handbag. We feel we must be able to manage our own luggage from the vehicle to check-in and again at the other end from the airport to our hotel and from hotel to cruise ship etc without having to wait for (or find) a luggage trolley or a porter.

We had been thinking of replacing one of our large suitcases. It is exceptionally good quality but more than ten years old and new suitcases are much lighter. Yesterday we replaced a 6.5kg bag with a 4kg one. (Yeah - we have an extra 2.5kg.:) While we were at it we replaced the hand luggage that we each carry and once again the new ones are each around 2kg lighter. That gives us an extra 6.5kg.

Sorry to go into so much details, but everyone has been so kind with their suggestions, I wanted to let you know our solution. This might also help others who are grappling with the airline weight limits.

Not quite the only ones. I had the misfortune of flying Lauda's 777 (now Austrian) in a 3-4-3 config. Thai and BA also have the 3-4-3 config on some craft.

I'll be on Emirates 777 next year so will have the joy of that config again!

Sadly Air NZ's new 777-300 is also a 3-4-3 configuration. Very squishy!

Archived