Just off the Summit

techgirl502

Hi, just off the Summit as well, and as a long time Celebrity cruiser (this was our 23rd) wondered if you found some of the same issues we did. Not that I didn't have a good time, but several things I thought were way below our usual Celebrity experience. The first several days we thought everywhere you went on the ship the temperature was very, very warm. The buffet area was particularly uncomfortable we thought. We also thought the buffet was one of the worst we ever experienced - poorly maintained, beverage centers regularly running out of items, and so on. This resulted in people using the MDR for breakfast way more than usual, and initially caused issues with service and space in that section.

We felt the ship was extremely crowded compared to any of our other X cruises, and was likely due in part to the very large population of cruisers from Puerto Rico. Have nothing against Puerto Ricans at all- not my point - but there were many large families in rooms with 3-4 passengers which I think upped the overall total person count quite a bit. Was also a bit annoying to have every single announcement or introduction in both Spanish and English - they seemed to drag on forever. It also changed the ambiance of the ship from its usual quiet elegance to more 'boisterous' is one word I would use.

We thought the MDR food was good overall - not the best we have had but similar to other cruises. The entertainers were good.

I thought overall the ship was well-maintained. Our room was in decent shape except for the beds - the fold-out sofa in particular was not fit for a dog let alone a human. We got a thin egg crate mattress to cover it which helped a bit but overall it was really, really bad - worse than any other ship we have been on. We unfortunately had a poorly performing room steward (we called him "Mr. No" as that was his first response to every request). Eventually he asked his manager to speak with us and she was lovely and took care of our issues promptly and with very good customer service.

As I continue my rant, let me touch on the Captains Club host. We went to quite a few of the Elite events and I did not see him once, let alone have him meet and mingle with anyone. We missed a couple so he may have showed up there, but I was very surprised at his complete lack of attention to his passengers. Maybe I have been spoiled by some of the wonderful ones we have found on other cruises.

As one reads this one may come to a conclusion that I am one of the picky cruisers who are never satisfied with anything. Not true at all!! I love Celebrity and would not keep coming back so often if that was the case. I just found this cruise so unlike the usual Celebrity experience, as did other regular Celebrity cruisers I spoke with. Did we have a good time? Absolutely!! And there was alot to like. But people who were taking this cruise for the first time on Celebrity would definitely not be impressed IMHO. I hope this was an anomoly, as we have taken this route before and it is one of our favorites (in fact we took this same trip last year on Summit and loved it!).

We had a much different experience on the Summit in August. Captian Pannos was wonderful as was our Captians club host. He was at the door daily by Michael's club greeting the guests. I assume also insuring that all were Elite members. The other Sr. Officers were also walking around the ship greeting guests throughout the cruise.

Our cabin attendent was also excellent. We dined in Blu as well as the speciality restaurants so I cannot rate the main dining room. But we enjoyed the service. We hope that on our upcoming Eclipse cruise we have the same level of service that we experienced on the Summit. Sorry you did not have the same positive experience.

I was on the Summit over Thanksgiving (just posted my review, so please check it out). I 100% agree the buffet was so hot!!! I found that one side of the ship was better than the other, but it was still warm. I don't know if the A/C was broken or what...but it was super uncomfortable.

Yes, I agree mucho Spanish. And also the entertainment was geared toward Latin dance music including singing in all Spanish as well. And yes, huge families who would just let their kids wander/run around and it was my job to watch out for them because if I walked or backed into them it was my fault. But I went out of San Juan before and it was the same thing that time. I think they offer good deals to locals and they bring extended families. And for some reason when big groups travel together they seem to forget that other people are there as well. They push you out of the way, scream loudly over you, take over a space you were already in, treat the MDR like it is their kitchen table at home, etc.

Overall I enjoyed the cruise. I just wanted to agree with you!

Doesn't sound like fun to me but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I was on the Summit over Thanksgiving (just posted my review, so please check it out). I 100% agree the buffet was so hot!!! I found that one side of the ship was better than the other, but it was still warm. I don't know if the A/C was broken or what...but it was super uncomfortable.

Yes, I agree mucho Spanish. And also the entertainment was geared toward Latin dance music including singing in all Spanish as well. And yes, huge families who would just let their kids wander/run around and it was my job to watch out for them because if I walked or backed into them it was my fault. But I went out of San Juan before and it was the same thing that time. I think they offer good deals to locals and they bring extended families. And for some reason when big groups travel together they seem to forget that other people are there as well. They push you out of the way, scream loudly over you, take over a space you were already in, treat the MDR like it is their kitchen table at home, etc.

Overall I enjoyed the cruise. I just wanted to agree with you!

We sailed out of SJ twice on the Constellation; early Dec of 2004 and 2005. On one of the cruises (can't remember which year) we definitely expereinced all of the above, and more. Babies with diapers in the hot tub, etc. On the other cruise it was 100% different. I think it is just the luck of the draw. And, we still enjoyed both cruises immensely!

I think any cruise with larges blocs of similar people, i.e. whites, blacks, purples, rednecks, liberals, gays, cowboys, poets, revolutionists, tea partyists, New Yoikers, New Englanders, Yankees fans, Red Sox fans, etc etc can get a bit annoying to those not part of the "scene". Used to bother me but now I enjoy it and love spending leisure time just watching the "show"!:D

My wife and I were on this cruise as well - my trip reports are linked elsewhere in the forum. The fellow pax didn't really bother me or pose any sort of issue, but I'll admit we probably spent more time in our cabin than a lot of individuals might have. I did find it kinda funny Celebrity picked a mexican guitarist to play music for Puerto Ricans, but maybe I'm the only one that saw the comedy there? But this wasn't remotely the most "international" sort of bunch I've seen on a cruise ship. I actually found the announcements less intrusive than any of the other 4 lines I've sailed.

I'll parrot the issues about the buffet. We generally aren't "buffet people" so I wouldn't say it was mindblowing to us or anything that things didn't always move smoothly or that there were issues like a lack of ice. The temperature up there was warmer than I'd hoped, but again, we go there so rarely that it didn't make an appreciable difference in our ability to enjoy the cruise. If we wanted quiet time *and* food *and* didn't want to eat on our balcony, there was always the Solarium.

I think any cruise with larges blocs of similar people, i.e. whites, blacks, purples, rednecks, liberals, gays, cowboys, poets, revolutionists, tea partyists, New Yoikers, New Englanders, Yankees fans, Red Sox fans, etc etc can get a bit annoying to those not part of the "scene". Used to bother me but now I enjoy it and love spending leisure time just watching the "show"!:D

Well-stated! Plus, the make-up of other customers is beyond any individual's control, and they're not going to stop their behaviors simply because they irritate others. When in this situation I try my best to grit my teeth, smile, and say "At least I'm not at work..." Then I go get another drink and head somewhere else quiet.

Would anyone be able to post the names of Staff who were in the "Spotlight"

Master:

Hotel Director:

Cruise Director:

Captain's Club Host:

Restaurant Manager:

Party Band:

The last list is over two months old.

My guesses:

Master: Theo Zakkas

Hotel Director:Ugo Vaccalluzzo.

Cruise Director: Caissie Stafford

Captain's Club Host: Lionel

Restaurant Manager: Martin Gazovic

Party Band: Fusion

Master:

Hotel Director:

Cruise Director:

Captain's Club Host:

Restaurant Manager:

Party Band:

My guesses:

I board tomorrow and will update the list. I have already had a message from Ugo that he is leaving tomorrow. Lionel is also leaving very soon And Fusion is not there. Oh well, I will update soon.

Anne

Master:

Hotel Director:

Cruise Director:

Captain's Club Host:

Restaurant Manager:

Party Band:

My guesses:

I scanned the "In The Spotlight" sheet from our 11/24/12 cruise, it's on the first page:

http://www.ayleebits.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/SummitNov2012-Miscellaneous.pdf

• 1 month later...
Well-stated! Plus, the make-up of other customers is beyond any individual's control, and they're not going to stop their behaviors simply because they irritate others. When in this situation I try my best to grit my teeth, smile, and say "At least I'm not at work..." Then I go get another drink and head somewhere else quiet.

It seems to me that after several cruises, some on Celebrity, I think that the whole 'market' has shifted so that cruise lines can best cater to all facets of people. I used to think that Celebrity was the best. And the Constellation and Summit were two of the ones where I gathered that attitude from (when they first came out as the 'Millenium' class of ships).

Now, that class of ships has been underdogged by the new solistice class and Azamara-class ships, so much so, that they are now the 'common-class' ships where the price is bargain price and the service is reflected as such.

So, I am now in search of a better class ship.... or will pay the higher price for the more elite status (such as Aqua class) on the same class of ships in order to get the same sort of service as I once enjoyed.

Not looking to disagree with any of the previous comments, but I was on last week's Summit and can honestly not find fault with a single thing. I tend to be pretty picky and expect when I vacation to have better food, surroundings, and service that I have at home. This trip delivered on all counts. This was my 3rd Celebrity experience and found the stateroom attendant and bartenders/waitstaff to be the most attentive ever. I cannot even come up with one complaint on the food. The cleanliness was exemplary everywhere. I would be the first to complain if I had anything negative to say, but I will be booking another cruise by the end of this week, and it will definitely be with Celebrity.

Not looking to disagree with any of the previous comments, but I was on last week's Summit and can honestly not find fault with a single thing. I tend to be pretty picky and expect when I vacation to have better food, surroundings, and service that I have at home. This trip delivered on all counts. This was my 3rd Celebrity experience and found the stateroom attendant and bartenders/waitstaff to be the most attentive ever. I cannot even come up with one complaint on the food. The cleanliness was exemplary everywhere. I would be the first to complain if I had anything negative to say, but I will be booking another cruise by the end of this week, and it will definitely be with Celebrity.

On the Summit last August and totally agree with you!

I'd like to think that occasionally you run into a group of obviously 'related' cruisers that is mostly polite (if occasionally oblivious) that is far more interesting than they are irritating. I hope so, anyway, as I have traveled with both a fraternity alumni group and irish pub group. We tend to stick to one (appropriately chosen) place to be fairly boisterous, but hopefully we blend in otherwise. I know we've entertained countless people watchers over the years (made some friends too) but hope we've never negatively impacted others' travel.

exception: sports. i don't know why sports brings out the cavemen in my boys =P

I'd like to think that occasionally you run into a group of obviously 'related' cruisers that is mostly polite (if occasionally oblivious) that is far more interesting than they are irritating. I hope so, anyway, as I have traveled with both a fraternity alumni group and irish pub group. We tend to stick to one (appropriately chosen) place to be fairly boisterous, but hopefully we blend in otherwise. I know we've entertained countless people watchers over the years (made some friends too) but hope we've never negatively impacted others' travel.

exception: sports. i don't know why sports brings out the cavemen in my boys =P

LOL, great post!!!:D

• 2 months later...
San Juan - took a tour of San Juan and Old San Juan as well as a visitor to Bacardi with Countryside Tours

St Croix - took a $25 tour right from the Pier. Saw a lot of the island and had shopping time in Christansted. I wanted to go to Cruzan Rum but they are closed on Sundays

St. Kitts - did the scenic Railroad tour thru Celebrity

Dominica - tour with Exodus Tours, saw te Emerald Pool, Jacko falls, Mr. nice Fruit Stand, island tour, tc. Super awesome day.

Greneda - Around the Isle of Spice tour thru Celebrity

St. Thomas - tour w/ Godfrey tours which included an island tour, shopping in Charlotte Amalie, and beach time at Coki Beach (Magens Bay and Coral Ocean World are also options)

San Juan - El Yunque rainforest hike w/ airport dropoff

I have booked this tour and am wondering what you thought of it. Any information or comments you have will be appreciated.

Ann

I would like to chime in again on these thoughts, and similar that have been posted. It's not that you cannot have a good time regardless - I would certainly not let any group of people spoil my cruise. But at the same time, when one books a Celebrity cruise one expects a certain type of experience. Celebrity promotes itself as quiet, elegant, sophisticated, etc. (not sure of the exact words, but that is the gist of their advertising). This is the type of cruise I desire, the relaxing experience I need, and what I expect when I book Celebrity. Every other Celebrity cruise I have taken (over 20) fit that description, some of course more so than others. But not the one on the week after Thanksgiving! It was crowded, loud, alot of kids, alot of large families, etc. (among other issues which hopefully are fixed by now). Frankly, I can only afford a limited amount of vacations and I don't want to have to spend my time on them gritting my teeth and being thankful I am not at work (although I am:)).

One has a right to expect the type of experience advertised (and paid for). At the risk of sounding defensive, let me say that I think people who have not experienced this type of cruise have a hard time understanding how very different the overall ambiance and cruise experience really is. It reminded me very much of when I used to sail Carnival twenty years ago if that helps make it more clear. What might be amusing 'people watching' on day one gets pretty old by day five, believe me. Having sailed so often on Celebrity, I only hope that my considerable experience lends some credibility to my issues with this particular cruise (the only one like it in my 20+cruises). I will continue to sail Celebrity, but I will definitely think twice about sailing this ship out of Puerto Rico at this particular time (or any other family vacation time).

I admit that it is annoying having to accommodate all of those lesser people who don't speak English!:rolleyes: the nerve of them! i just try to cruise with ships that only market to Exclusively to English only speaking people.....and why do they call us ugly Americans?

I admit that it is annoying having to accommodate all of those lesser people who don't speak English!:rolleyes: the nerve of them! i just try to cruise with ships that only market to Exclusively to English only speaking people.....and why do they call us ugly Americans?

LOL, when I first read your post I thought you were xenophobic! I'm pretty sure now that your post was a sarcastic reply to a previous post.;)

Archived