Tamarind pho soup

pinnaclegirl

Wondering if anyone has this recipie, after eating it about six times on the N.A. during the last two weeks, we're in withdrawal. Never tasted soup quite so wonderful.

Holy, how could you eat there so much:D;)? I wonder if anyone else ate there that much. Looks like I should have tried that soup.

We visited the Tamarind 10+ times during our last cruise, and it was in a large part due to how wonderful the chicken Pho soup was!! :D

I did ask for, and received a recipe for it. Unfortunately, I can't find it among the papers that I brought home, and I hope it didn't get left behind. I promise to look again, and will post the recipe if I can find it. I know the recipe called for galangal and fresh kaffir lime leaves, two things I will need to shop for specially.

I found it!

Chicken Pho with wild lime and rice sticky noodle-Serves 10

300 grms Cooked Rice Noodles

800 ml Chicken Stock

25 grms brown sugar

200 ml coconut milk

25 grms garlic, finely minced

10 grms serrano chilis, minced

10 grms kaffir lime leaves, fresh

25 ml lime juice

40 grms galangal, fresh minced

200 grms chicken, cooked and shredded

50 grms lemongrass stalks crushed

25 ml fish sauce

10 grms red chilies minced

200 ml heavy cream

20 grms ginger minced

salt (as needed)

white pepper (as needed)

Garnish:

Lime slices

scallions, fine julienne

Cilantro

Chili oil

Sesame Oil Red Bell Pepper, fine julienne

Thai Basil, fine Chiffonade

1. Saute chili, galangal, lemongrass, kaffir leaves, garlic, ginger, and all coconut milk and heavy cream, bring to a simmer and add chicken stock, lime juice, fish sauce, and bring to a simmer again, add sugar and check seasoning. Allow to simmer for 10 to 12 mins. Strain thru a fine sieve.

Add chicken and noodles to individual bowls and add into stamer for 4-5 mins. Remove bowl from staemer, ladle broth into bowl and add garnishes.

Edited by localady

I never heard of this soup before CC's. Is it pronounced Poo,Pew,Few, Foo or some other way?:o

"F" as in Frank. "E" as in example- sort of. The e gets hit kind of hard and then cut off- at least that's how it sounds to me. My friends are still helping me on that one and I suspect its a permanent work in progress.

Local lady: if you find a Vietnamese market, check out the cinnamon.

The pho I have had at Vietnamese restaurants is usually a clear broth or reddish in color with star anise. I loved the pho in the Tamarind but thought it tasted more like the Thai soup: Tom Kha Kai. I like Tom Kha Kai equally and it might be easier to find a Thai restaurant than a Vietnamese in some areas.

I also ate the Vietnamese Lamb w/Mint and it was outstanding! Highly recommend this dish.

Holy, how could you eat there so much:D;)? I wonder if anyone else ate there that much. Looks like I should have tried that soup.

Saw a woman on the trip who said she was from Calgary, cruises on H.A. alot.

Saw her in the Tamarind every meal we ate there, could this have been a

coincidence?

Saw a woman on the trip who said she was from Calgary, cruises on H.A. alot.

Saw her in the Tamarind every meal we ate there, could this have been a

coincidence?

Can you make a pot of this for lunch? I'll be right down. This working for a living bites:D;):eek:.

I also ate the Vietnamese Lamb w/Mint and it was outstanding! Highly recommend this dish.

You are 100% sure this is a good dish? I ate this on a Princess Ship and it was so disgusting that I sent it back. I never send back food... until the first time on that ship. The waiter said nobody liked it.

You are 100% sure this is a good dish? I ate this on a Princess Ship and it was so disgusting that I sent it back. I never send back food... until the first time on that ship. The waiter said nobody liked it.

I also tried this dish (in the Tamarind) and didn't like it. It was too sweet for me. My favorite is the chicken penang curry.

I found it!

Chicken Pho with wild lime and rice sticky noodle-Serves 10

300 grms Cooked Rice Noodles

800 ml Chicken Stock

25 grms brown sugar

200 ml coconut milk

25 grms garlic, finely minced

10 grms serrano chilis, minced

10 grms kaffir lime leaves, fresh

25 ml lime juice

40 grms galangal, fresh minced

200 grms chicken, cooked and shredded

50 grms lemongrass stalks crushed

25 ml fish sauce

10 grms red chilies minced

200 ml heavy cream

20 grms ginger minced

salt (as needed)

white pepper (as needed)

Garnish:

Lime slices

scallions, fine julienne

Cilantro

Chili oil

Sesame Oil Red Bell Pepper, fine julienne

Thai Basil, fine Chiffonade

1. Saute chili, galangal, lemongrass, kaffir leaves, garlic, ginger, and all coconut milk and heavy cream, bring to a simmer and add chicken stock, lime juice, fish sauce, and bring to a simmer again, add sugar and check seasoning. Allow to simmer for 10 to 12 mins. Strain thru a fine sieve.

Add chicken and noodles to individual bowls and add into stamer for 4-5 mins. Remove bowl from staemer, ladle broth into bowl and add garnishes.

^^This is it! Thanks!

I found this soup to be memorable as well and had been looking for the recipe :)

Note to HAL!! Need a Tamarind Cookbook! :D

^^This is it! Thanks!

I found this soup to be memorable as well and had been looking for the recipe :)

Note to HAL!! Need a Tamarind Cookbook! :D

Happy to help! :D I need to do a bit of research to get a couple of the fresh ingredients, but typing it up got me motivated to do it. A couple of days on the TA crossing, I had a bit of sea sickness and all I wanted was the Pho soup, it truly made me feel so much better!

P.S. Pardon the typos in the recipe (they should be 'steamer'), I saw them after the edit feature had expired. :rolleyes:

Edited by localady

My son (whose best friend is Viet) says it is pronounced "fuh" with the same sound as in "ugly".

The recipe posted does sound more like Tom Kha Gai.

That's my understanding of how it's pronounced, too.

There's a restaurant near me with great pho soup that's called "What The Pho?" :eek:

LOOOOOVE that name! Soup's pretty good, too. :D

• 1 year later...

Greetings:

I followed the recipe posted here yesterday, as my Mom and I have been dreaming about that soup from the Tamarind Restaurant since we got off the Nieuw Amsterdam! It tasted almost exactly like it, but I remember bean sprouts... On their menu they mention mint and bean sprouts, but it's not on the posted recipe. Was this recipe from a culinary demonstration? The only item I never found was the galangal, even at an Asian market. Just a word of warning: use gloves when you cut the red chilis and serrano peppers. I burned the tips of all fingers last night, and made the mistake of putting in contact lenses this morning--major burn!!

Kelli