Tamarind pho soup

pinnaclegirl

OK I'm officially whimpering. Thank you so much for posting.

In my experience the Tamarind recipes tend to be a bit more fusion than the "pure" version. I say bring it on!

Each of us has our own preferences. My husband and I both adored the Vietnamese lamb with mint. My one sadness in switching our June cruise from Nieuw Amsterdam to Noordam is the loss of Tamarind :(

Greetings:

I followed the recipe posted here yesterday, as my Mom and I have been dreaming about that soup from the Tamarind Restaurant since we got off the Nieuw Amsterdam! It tasted almost exactly like it, but I remember bean sprouts... On their menu they mention mint and bean sprouts, but it's not on the posted recipe. Was this recipe from a culinary demonstration? The only item I never found was the galangal, even at an Asian market. Just a word of warning: use gloves when you cut the red chilis and serrano peppers. I burned the tips of all fingers last night, and made the mistake of putting in contact lenses this morning--major burn!!

Kelli

I buy Indonesian spices at a small "Dutch" store in our area. I have been able to buy ground galangal. It is Conimex brand and is call Laos. Hope this helps in your search.

The pho I have had at Vietnamese restaurants is usually a clear broth or reddish in color with star anise. I loved the pho in the Tamarind but thought it tasted more like the Thai soup: Tom Kha Kai. I like Tom Kha Kai equally and it might be easier to find a Thai restaurant than a Vietnamese in some areas.

I also ate the Vietnamese Lamb w/Mint and it was outstanding! Highly recommend this dish.

We have both Vietnamese and Thai restaurants in our area. I am now determined to taste this soup in each. :)

You are 100% sure this is a good dish? I ate this on a Princess Ship and it was so disgusting that I sent it back. I never send back food... until the first time on that ship. The waiter said nobody liked it.

Too bad the steward didn't tell you no one liked the dish when you ordered it. A really good waiter would have saved you the unpleasant experience of having to send it back and wait for a replacement while everyone else at your table was having their meal. We've had some stewards I know would have gracefully steered us away from ordering it. We ALWAYS listen when they do that. :D

I never heard of this soup before CC's. Is it pronounced Poo,Pew,Few, Foo or some other way?:o

"F" as in Frank. "E" as in example- sort of. The e gets hit kind of hard and then cut off- at least that's how it sounds to me.

We've always said "foe", like your enemy. Or as in phonetic, photograph, etc. Wikipedia says

Pho (pronounced variously as /fʌ/, /fə/, /fər/, or /foʊ/;[1] Vietnamese: phở, pronounced [fəː˧˩˧]

Edited by catl331

Pho is pronounced "fuh". The ph sound is dominant.

The recipe posted is more of a Tom Kai Gai as Pho does not have cream in it.

Also proper Pho Ga (Pho with Chicken) still uses a beef broth made from Roasted Beef bones.

But depending on what family they may use Chicken Bones.

I normally have Pho two times a week when not traveling.

We have always been told that it is pronounced 'Fa' as in fa la la

We used to go every Friday night to a local Vietnamese restaurant for Pho and salad rolls - the son of the owners (who did not speak English, just Vietnamese) said it was pronounced as 'Fa'.

Fabulous soup to be sure, I must make a point of going on one of the ships that has a Tamarind Restaurant!

Wondering if anyone has this recipie, after eating it about six times on the N.A. during the last two weeks, we're in withdrawal. Never tasted soup quite so wonderful.

If you think the pho onboard is good, you should try it at a Vietnamese restaurant. There is no comparison. I find the pho onboard to be mediocre at best. A good website and app is phofinder.

Very interesting how so many prounouce the same thing so differently and yet are sure they have the proper pronounciation.

Is it possible, different provinces/cities in Viet Nam pronounce it differently or perhaps those from the north vs those from the south?

While DH served in Viet Nam he never mentioned this soup. He wasn't near enough to cities to be going 'out to dinner'.

I love the chicken pho soup in the tamarind. It is pronounced "fuh". Ask any Vietnamese person!

The pho soup on the Tamarind and the slightly different version of a tomato chicken pho soup in the PG really isn't like the pho soups we can get in the Vietnamese restaurants here. They are really, really popular here in Ottawa.

I could lick the bowl for the soup in the tamarind and PG! Yum!

I love the chicken pho soup in the tamarind. It is pronounced "fuh". Ask any Vietnamese person!

The pho soup on the Tamarind and the slightly different version of a tomato chicken pho soup in the PG really isn't like the pho soups we can get in the Vietnamese restaurants here. They are really, really popular here in Ottawa.

I could lick the bowl for the soup in the tamarind and PG! Yum!

And yet there was another person on this board that said it was pronounced fur. Everyone thinks they are right.

Very interesting how so many prounouce the same thing so differently and yet are sure they have the proper pronounciation.

Is it possible, different provinces/cities in Viet Nam pronounce it differently or perhaps those from the north vs those from the south?

<snip>

And yet there was another person on this board that said it was pronounced fur. Everyone thinks they are right.

Thanks, cruz chic.

That was my point. :)

Edited by sail7seas

While DH served in Viet Nam he never mentioned this soup. He wasn't near enough to cities to be going 'out to dinner'.

There is only one way to pronounce pho. It is "fuh". I lived in Orange County, near little Saigon, home to the largest Vietnamese population in the States. I have many Vietnamese friends and they laugh when people pronounce it "foe".