Oasis embarkation...where to eat...

Gracie115

We are on Oasis for first time this Saturday and I have been reading posts about the crowds at the WindJammer on all days but especially embarkation day and wondered for those who have been on Oasis where is a good alternative to go for lunch. We plan to arrive around 1PM. We will be with a couple of elderly people so standing in line is really not an option .... thanks for any insight you can provide.....:)

Park Cafe - Central Park, Deck 8. Open by 11:30. Roast Beef sandwich is one of their featured items. Many people - myself included - think this is a very good option to the WJ.

That is a nice place to eat, but the OP specified waiting in line is not an option and arriving at 1:00pm I would think there would be a line (possibly a long wine) to dine there.

OP, if you are willing to spend a bit, doing a sit down lunch at Giovanni's Table (specialty restaurant) may be a great way to start the cruise with a nice, relaxing lunch and guaranteed seating (you can reserve in advance online).

That is a nice place to eat, but the OP specified waiting in line is not an option and arriving at 1:00pm I would think there would be a line (possibly a long wine) to dine there.

OP, if you are willing to spend a bit, doing a sit down lunch at Giovanni's Table (specialty restaurant) may be a great way to start the cruise with a nice, relaxing lunch and guaranteed seating (you can reserve in advance online).

Unnderstood, and all the restaurants may have somewhat of a line except Giovanni's as suggested. I was thinking more along the lins of the faster n/c venues, and would also suggest the Solarium restaurant in that light as well. Solarium is not likely to have as much crowd level.

In your situation I would do Giovanni's Table for lunch, then for dinner later on a light snack somewhere or maybe just apps and dessert at dinner in the MDR. Anywhere else and you will be waiting in line. Don't try to fight crowds the first day: you will lose.

The Solarium Bistro was fairly empty when we sailed on the Allure.

I do like the idea of Giovanni's and the charge doesn't bother me but the food may be really heavy at that hour. What kind of food does the Solarium Bistro serve at lunch?

We are on Oasis for first time this Saturday and I have been reading posts about the crowds at the WindJammer on all days but especially embarkation day and wondered for those who have been on Oasis where is a good alternative to go for lunch. We plan to arrive around 1PM. We will be with a couple of elderly people so standing in line is really not an option .... thanks for any insight you can provide.....:)

I always suggest to eat a large breakfast and avoid the WJ at all costs.

The first day passengers act as if they just escaped from a concentration camp and haven't eaten in days.

Giovanni's would be the way to go, the Solarium would be my 2nd choice.

I do like the idea of Giovanni's and the charge doesn't bother me but the food may be really heavy at that hour. What kind of food does the Solarium Bistro serve at lunch?

They have a nice spread; a make-your-own salad bar, a couple kinds of savory crepes, some soups etc. Not the largest selection, but I had a couple of lunches there on Allure and enjoyed them.

I suppose because I'm a creature of habit, my gang ate in the Windjammer; however, we boarded Oasis around 10:45 and went straight there to eat. There was hardly anyone there at that point.

I do understand your circumstances though, so as others have said already...the lighter lunch at Park Cafe or the Solarium might be more suitable for you.

We're sailing on the Oasis for the first time next summer.

I was wondering if room service will be an option once we board.

I think room service does not start until some time after muster drill. Not 100% certain though.

I always suggest to eat a large breakfast and avoid the WJ at all costs.

The first day passengers act as if they just escaped from a concentration camp and haven't eaten in days.

Giovanni's would be the way to go, the Solarium would be my 2nd choice.

I love your description of the WJ on embarkation day:),,and I totally agree with it,,,you would think they weren't going to get anymore food that day,,,people just never seem to amaze me....I have a very good word for folks like that,,but I have to control myself...:eek:

On both of my Oasis cruises we ate lunch in the solarium and it was beautiful. Yes, it is lighter fare but the atmosphere was lovely, and best yet not crowded! Have a wonderful cruise!

Thanks, it sounds like a great way to start the cruise....thanks all..

Archived