To FDR and the powers that be.

jeno

Greetings FDR, This is my wife's Cruise Critic account. The reason for this note is below. But, first; Rome to Rio has been a great ride. The Marina is a beautiful ship. The balcony for 7108 is the best that I could ever imagine being on a ship. We call it 'the Wing Bridge'. Staff is great, as are the passengers. There are few if any cruiser newbies, which creates a noticeably pleasant atmosphere. We are on with a loosely connected group of 18. All of us have the same issue with the curtains. Looks like you've been caught up in a bit of a design problem. I'd like to propose a solution: There is a product called McLube. It was invented to lubricate the working parts of hardware, meaning pulleys (aka 'blocks'), and winches commonly used on sailboats. McLube comes from Peter & Olaf Harken's company in Pewaukee, Wisconsin, US. Essentially, the world gets sailboat hardware from 'Harken'. They are good guys. McLube comes as an aerosol, similar but different than WD-40. The differences are that it is not greasy/oily, and is formulated to work long-term in harsh, salt-water environments. Application would be to open the curtains; fully insert the nozzle tube into that small space between the top of the slides and the bracket that holds them; simultaneously squeeze the button down and retract the tube, meaning backing it out as the lubricant sprays into the confined space. It could be done quickly, six times in each cabin. A bit tedious to be sure, but the curtains show premature damage from the current set-up. Disclaimer: I don't know if this will work, but if it was my boat . . . I mean ship, this is what I would try, ASAP.

:confused:

With apologies to Messrs Peter & Olaf, what exactly IS the "problem with the curtains"?

Seems obvious that the slides that hold the curtains are not sliding freely and thus damaging the slides and the curtains. As it is claimed that FDR as well as the onboard staff reads all posts this seems one of several appropriate places to post this suggestion.

I might suggest to the OP that he provide the same information to the General Manager or Concierge to be conveyed to the maintenance department as well.

When we were last on Marina in June, I did notice that the sheer window coverings were quite shabby considering the ship was only 18 months old at the time. Don't recall a problem with the slides, but definite damage to the curtains. Soiled as well. I was surprised, considering the age of the ship.

Mo

When we were last on Marina in June, I did notice that the sheer window coverings were quite shabby considering the ship was only 18 months old at the time. Don't recall a problem with the slides, but definite damage to the curtains. Soiled as well. I was surprised, considering the age of the ship.

Mo

That's just plain "icky" !!!

...Staff is great, as are the passengers. There are few if any cruiser newbies, which creates a noticeably pleasant atmosphere...

I'm a "cruiser newbie" that just completed my first Oceania vacation. If you were on board, I'm terribly sorry if I spoiled your pleasant atmosphere. My wife and I shared dinner tables each night with very nice people, all of whom were seasoned travellers. I hope no one was disappointed that we had no previous Oceania experience to discuss.

First timers do tend to stand out- by the sparkle in their eyes and their delight in discovering all the things that make us keep coming back. Most of us are happy to share your joy and enthusiasm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting back to the original theme, we spend part of the year in South Florida and have been told NEVER to use WD-40 on any of our metal tracks, window parts, etc because it turns into a "black gunky mess interacting with salt spray" (thus sayeth the "window guy.")

Instead, we are encouraged to use silicone spray regularly on sliders, windows, hurricane shutter tracks and parts.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure that the ships' crews know what to use and don't need my advice!! c

Getting back to the original theme, we spend part of the year in South Florida and have been told NEVER to use WD-40 on any of our metal tracks, window parts, etc because it turns into a "black gunky mess interacting with salt spray" (thus sayeth the "window guy.")

Instead, we are encouraged to use silicone spray regularly on sliders, windows, hurricane shutter tracks and parts.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure that the ships' crews know what to use and don't need my advice!! c

¨

OH! here in Switzerland we have plastic tracks "Silentgliss" and WD40 is perfect... never thought of metal tracks. Bt old fashioned...

Totally agree with last statement - and the poster should perhaps have told the Butler or steward to take care of it!

Most of our window & door fabrications have to meet city/state hurricane standards and insurance requirements (including federal flood insurance) so metal seems to be the gold standard right now.

Of course, there is the new impact glass that is being used but many are still using the old metal hurricane shutters over the glass....just trying to keep the water and flying debris out of the residence!

To LHT28, Sorry I was gone a couple of days, and didn't respond to your question.

We were in a handicapped room on deck seven, a room with the floor to ceiling windows, no balcony. My husband was trying to open the curtains manually, when the room steward came in, and she showed us the switch next to the bed.

We were embarrassed, but happy to find that out. I thought it was just another light switch. Perhaps it is only in the handicapped rooms?

Karen

We were embarrassed, but happy to find that out. I thought it was just another light switch. Perhaps it is only in the handicapped rooms?

Karen

Thanks karen

yes it maybe on in the H/C cabins but then again ....there are so many switches by the bed hard to know what they all were for ;)

Lyn

Dear ALL:

I'm happy to report that as of this morning, all broken curtain mechanisms have been replaced aboard Marina.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Also, a full inspection of each stateroom is being conducted and any curtain sheers or curtains found not to be in perfect condition and/or soiled will be first dry cleaned. If cleaning fails to restore them to like new condition, they will be promptly replaced.

FDR

"Dear ALL:

I'm happy to report that as of this morning, all broken curtain mechanisms have been replaced aboard Marina.

Also, a full inspection of each stateroom is being conducted and any curtain sheers or curtains found not to be in perfect condition and/or soiled will be first dry cleaned. If cleaning fails to restore them to like new condition, they will be promptly replaced.

FDR"

FDR,

Great response, great service.

Barry

When one clicks on fjdelrio and looks at the list of "friends" one sees - fjdelrio has not made any friends yet. That can't be right, He is a friend to all the people on all the Oceania ships, he has thousands up on thousands of friends!:D How many other cruise lines have CEO's like him working to keep us all coming back time after time. I would be proud to be his friend.

When one clicks on fjdelrio and looks at the list of "friends" one sees - fjdelrio has not made any friends yet. That can't be right, He is a friend to all the people on all the Oceania ships, he has thousands up on thousands of friends!:D How many other cruise lines have CEO's like him working to keep us all coming back time after time. I would be proud to be his friend.

Don't misunderstand! FDR has many friends, it's just that he chose not to publish this in his profile. Those of us who are loyal to Oceania and have been so for years know this - and no one can ever change that! :)

Dear ALL:

FDR

Thank you for the update & keeping things up to date

Lyn

Just back from the Rome to Rio on Marina cruise...the up dates on the showers and the bath tubs are great!! As well as the correction to the step down from the atrium area. This was our 3rd time on Marina...and we love her more every time....from our staff from previous cruises (Kataya in the reception area) to a great butler...we had our 1st PH suite and we are now spoiled rotten!!! :p

Our concierge in the Executive Lounge (Thomas) took care of phone calls re a "compromised credit card"..somehow the card # ended ended up in Istanbul..... to helping me organize a Cruise Critic Luncheon...which was well attended and your wonderful GM attended...Dominque...( I know he had a big part in putting this together) and we were able to see and greet Damien before he disembarked for his well earned time off...he was the GM on the March crossing we did this year...

Your interest and love of O continues to inpress all of us who love to sail with you and yours!!!! We are booked for the crossing from NYC to Dover in May '14 and can't wait to be on board again...and BTW...you spoiled us so much we are in a PH again!!!! LuAnn

Archived