Once I land in Anchorage

emeltee

how long would it take me to get to Seward, including getting baggage, rental car (Avis) & driving time.

I'm in the process of figuring out flights and some of the flights get in kinda late. I don't want to get the Seward when it's too late.

how long would it take me to get to Seward, including getting baggage, rental car (Avis) & driving time.

I'm in the process of figuring out flights and some of the flights get in kinda late. I don't want to get the Seward when it's too late.

In the car, out the airport exit, around 2 1/2 to 3 hours wheels turning, depending on traffic on the Seward Highway. Navigation is fairly straightforward. Remember too that daylight (assuming this is summer) is very long in Alaska. Add an hour for the airport yoga.

How about to Denali? I forgot - my brother might go to Denali instead of Seward once we land.
Around 5 1/2 - 6 hours, same story.

Denali is probably an 8 hour drive.

Seward is a bit closer. If you are landing late, it would probably be better to spend the night in Anchorage, then set out the next morning.

I'm trying to to avoid spending the night in Anchorage, so I'm trying to figure out the latest I should land.

In the car, out the airport exit, around 2 1/2 to 3 hours wheels turning, depending on traffic on the Seward Highway. Navigation is fairly straightforward. Remember too that daylight (assuming this is summer) is very long in Alaska. Add an hour for the airport yoga.

Around 5 1/2 - 6 hours, same story.

So about 3 /12 to 4 hours to Seward from the minute we land?

This will be July 3, 2013.

The drive to Seward is extremely scenic. Too bad you're going to rush thru it. Are you doing a Kenai cruise in the morning ? is that why you need to drive to Seward upon arrival? http://alaska.org/driving/portage-valley-whittier-spur-drive.htm

Under perfect conditions and no stops it's a 2 1/2 hr drive, plus 1 hr at the airport. But July 4 is a HUGE celebration in Seward so you may run into lots of traffic. AND, if you don't have a room booked already, you may not find one.

Denali is about a 5 hr drive.

This travel chart will help. http://alaska.org/gettingaround/alaska-transportation-guide.htm

Under perfect conditions and no stops it's a 2 1/2 hr drive, plus 1 hr at the airport. But July 4 is a HUGE celebration in Seward so you may run into lots of traffic. AND, if you don't have a room booked already, you may not find one.

[/url]

It is a huge event. The population of Seward is about 3500 folks. They are expecting 20,000 to attend next July. There's no commercial airport so the only road into town will be very busy, and slow.

Allow 4 hours for the Anchorage/Seward drive and 6 for Anchorage/Denali- this way, if there is a highlight along the way, you at least have a few extra minutes. You really need to add additional time, if going to Denali, since you want to make a grocery stop, to purchase food items and beverages, last available is Wasilla.

Verify your Seward reservation NOW.

So about 3 /12 to 4 hours to Seward from the minute we land?

This will be July 3, 2013.

Yes.

But July 4 is a HUGE celebration in Seward so you may run into lots of traffic. AND, if you don't have a room booked already, you may not find one. [/url]
Yes, given the Mount Marathon race is on the 4th, if you have the option of going to Denali instead of Seward upon landing, that might be a better plan.

If you don't want to get all the way to Denali NP, you could overnight in Talkeetna, around 2 1/2 hours from the airport, so comparable to Seward in terms of timing.

The drive to Seward is extremely scenic. Too bad you're going to rush thru it. Are you doing a Kenai cruise in the morning ? is that why you need to drive to Seward upon arrival? http://alaska.org/driving/portage-valley-whittier-spur-drive.htm

Denali is about a 5 hr drive.

This travel chart will help. http://alaska.org/gettingaround/alaska-transportation-guide.htm

I'm traveling with my elderly parents and young children so the fewer hotel changes the better. I was originally thinking of doing the Kenai cruise on the 4th,but have realized that our bodies would need a day to adjust, so the 4th is going to be a touring day - maybe sea life if it's open and/or Exit Glacier.

I'm not opposed to staying in Anchorage, but if I can fly in early enough so I don't have to it would be better.

As of earlier this week, there were still rooms available. Just trying to figure out all the details before committing. I know - gotta do it ASAP. I'm trying!

Yes.

Yes, given the Mount Marathon race is on the 4th, if you have the option of going to Denali instead of Seward upon landing, that might be a better plan.

If you don't want to get all the way to Denali NP, you could overnight in Talkeetna, around 2 1/2 hours from the airport, so comparable to Seward in terms of timing.

We are nixing Denali due to my kids. Just won't work out for us this time.

I'm traveling with my elderly parents and young children so the fewer hotel changes the better. I was originally thinking of doing the Kenai cruise on the 4th,but have realized that our bodies would need a day to adjust, so the 4th is going to be a touring day - maybe sea life if it's open and/or Exit Glacier.

I'm not opposed to staying in Anchorage, but if I can fly in early enough so I don't have to it would be better.

As of earlier this week, there were still rooms available. Just trying to figure out all the details before committing. I know - gotta do it ASAP. I'm trying!

We are nixing Denali due to my kids. Just won't work out for us this time.

Where else are you going, how much time do you have and what port in/out of in Alaska? Frankly Seward is a madhouse, severe crowds.

Where else are you going, how much time do you have and what port in/out of in Alaska? Frankly Seward is a madhouse, severe crowds.

Hubbard, Glacier Bay, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan.

Was hoping to do a Kenai Fjords tour pre-Cruise on one day. I've allotted two full days between arriving in Alaska (7/3) and going on the cruise (7/6).

I'm open to suggestions on other places to stay for three days prior to out departure from Whittier.

Totally agree, Seward, July 3rd (because a lot of the runners are down there early, as they have a big dinner event for them the night before the race) and the 4th of July are going to be a total zoo down there.

Not even sure how easy it will be for you all to do anything down there, just, because of the crowd issue.

Susan in Anchorage :)

When do you arrive on 3 July? I estimate it will take you at least 1-1/2 hours to get from the plane to luggage claim, wait for your luggage, then go to car rental, stand in line, fill in the rental contract, go to the car, load the luggage, check out the car, controls, mirrors, etc. It very well may be 2 hours. Then it is another 2+ hours to Talkeetna or +-3 hours to Seward from there.

How young are your "young" children?

If it were me, I might consider driving to Wasilla or Talkeetna depending on your arrival time. Spend July 3/4 in Talkeetna. Can do a lot on the way there and even a nice day ride from there on July 4 to say Byers Lake (canoeing or kayaking, Veterans Memorial, Denali South Viewpoint along the way). Jet boat tour and flightseeing in Talkeetna.

Then July 5 drive to Independence Mine area, maybe the Iditarod HQ in Wasilla, etc. Drive to Girdwood for the night. Very scenic drive from Anchorage to Girdwood. Maybe go to the Wildlife Conservation Center this day.

How are you getting to Seward? If car rental, then just drive from Girdwood. If some other shuttle, you might consider staying in Anchorage the night of July 5 or just driving from Girdwood back to Anchorage early on July 6. You might consider getting to Seward early enough on July 6 to go to Exit Glacier and the Sealife Center before boarding the ship.

OP boards the ship in Whittier.

In that case, I would just suggest a Prince William sound boat tour, adding some looks at Anchorage, maybe the Conservatory for wildlife, Portage Glacier visitor center etc. They look like they have several people in the car, so one way dropping would be ideal, in Whittier.

In that case, I would just suggest a Prince William sound boat tour, adding some looks at Anchorage, maybe the Conservatory for wildlife, Portage Glacier visitor center etc. They look like they have several people in the car, so one way dropping would be ideal, in Whittier.

In this case, where would you suggest staying?

In this case, where would you suggest staying?

It's an easy drive from Anchorage to Whittier, and you'd have more choices if you stayed here in town.

Not many places in Whittier, as, basically, everyone lives in one building, called Begich Towers. There is the Inn at Whittier, though!

You could always check out things in Girdwood. I've booked, as well, as others I know, through Alyeska Accommodations before and been very happy with the accommodations - http://www.alyeskaaccommodations.com

Susan in Anchorage :)

Since you're concerned about moving hotels more than once, my guess is that staying in Seward might be too much for your family, but only you can make that decision. The 4th of July celebrations would certainly be a unique experience for you but it's important to be aware of the negatives that come along with 20,000 guests visiting a little town ... long lines, no parking, sold out activities, long waits at restaurants, crowded sidewalks, etc. Maybe you'll think it sounds fun and energizing, or maybe you'll think it's overwhelming. Different strokes for different folks.

If it sounds overwhelming, there are certainly other options. Staying around Girdwood and taking a PWS glacier cruise might be an easy answer. Girdwood is only 40 miles from Anchorage and has a lot to offer; gold panning, Wildlife Conservation Center, Portage Lake, Alyeska tram, Potters Marsh boardwalk, Begich Boggs Visitor Center, are all closeby. http://alaska.org/driving/portage-valley-whittier-spur-drive.htm

The PWS cruises are a little shorter and the waters are calmer so less chance of seasickness or cancellation. Stay at Alyeska Resort or a B&B (Hidden Creek, Girdwood Guest House, or the Carriage House B&B has a 4 bedroom apt). Check the Girdwood Chamber of Commerce site for other choices. If you have your heart set on doing the Kenai cruise, it's only 1 1/2 hrs away so it could be a day trip on the 5th with a stop at Exit Glacier on the way by.

Or if you'd like a different experience that the coast, take frugaltravel's suggestion and head north to Talkeetna or to Palmer. Then on the 6th drive to Whittier and take the PWS cruise at noon.

Good luck with your plans! You'll have a great time whatever you choose.

Since you're concerned about moving hotels more than once, my guess is that staying in Seward might be too much for your family, but only you can make that decision. The 4th of July celebrations would certainly be a unique experience for you but it's important to be aware of the negatives that come along with 20,000 guests visiting a little town ... long lines, no parking, sold out activities, long waits at restaurants, crowded sidewalks, etc. Maybe you'll think it sounds fun and energizing, or maybe you'll think it's overwhelming. Different strokes for different folks.

If it sounds overwhelming, there are certainly other options. Staying around Girdwood and taking a PWS glacier cruise might be an easy answer. Girdwood is only 40 miles from Anchorage and has a lot to offer; gold panning, Wildlife Conservation Center, Portage Lake, Alyeska tram, Potters Marsh boardwalk, Begich Boggs Visitor Center, are all closeby. http://alaska.org/driving/portage-valley-whittier-spur-drive.htm

The PWS cruises are a little shorter and the waters are calmer so less chance of seasickness or cancellation. Stay at Alyeska Resort or a B&B (Hidden Creek, Girdwood Guest House, or the Carriage House B&B has a 4 bedroom apt). Check the Girdwood Chamber of Commerce site for other choices. If you have your heart set on doing the Kenai cruise, it's only 1 1/2 hrs away so it could be a day trip on the 5th with a stop at Exit Glacier on the way by.

Or if you'd like a different experience that the coast, take frugaltravel's suggestion and head north to Talkeetna or to Palmer. Then on the 6th drive to Whittier and take the PWS cruise at noon.

Good luck with your plans! You'll have a great time whatever you choose.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into staying in Girdwood.

When do you arrive on 3 July? I estimate it will take you at least 1-1/2 hours to get from the plane to luggage claim, wait for your luggage, then go to car rental, stand in line, fill in the rental contract, go to the car, load the luggage, check out the car, controls, mirrors, etc. It very well may be 2 hours. Then it is another 2+ hours to Talkeetna or +-3 hours to Seward from there.

How young are your "young" children?

If it were me, I might consider driving to Wasilla or Talkeetna depending on your arrival time. Spend July 3/4 in Talkeetna. Can do a lot on the way there and even a nice day ride from there on July 4 to say Byers Lake (canoeing or kayaking, Veterans Memorial, Denali South Viewpoint along the way). Jet boat tour and flightseeing in Talkeetna.

Then July 5 drive to Independence Mine area, maybe the Iditarod HQ in Wasilla, etc. Drive to Girdwood for the night. Very scenic drive from Anchorage to Girdwood. Maybe go to the Wildlife Conservation Center this day.

How are you getting to Seward? If car rental, then just drive from Girdwood. If some other shuttle, you might consider staying in Anchorage the night of July 5 or just driving from Girdwood back to Anchorage early on July 6. You might consider getting to Seward early enough on July 6 to go to Exit Glacier and the Sealife Center before boarding the ship.

After reading several other posts, I am now considering going to Talkeetna.

The flightseeing really interests me. I was thinking that maybe DH, my father and possibly my 8 year old could go on a flightseeing tour. My mom and my 4 yo would need to occupy themselves during the tour. Any suggestions? How close are the tour companies to town?

Which tour companies are most recommended on this board. I've only been able to look at the Talkeenta Air Taxi website. They have several tours - any recommendations on which tour?

What are some other things that we could see in the area. Things like canoeing/kayaking are out. Easy hike/walk is okay.

Would driving to Denali STATE park be worth the drive? We are NOT doing Denali National Park.

What can you do at the Iditarod HQ? I was considering doing the dog musher's camp in the Yukon. I think we just want to meet the dogs and learn about them, not necessarily go for a ride. Would one be better than the other (Wasillia vs Yukon).

Now as for my brother - the craziness in Seward appeals to him. So we may switch plans - he goes south whereas we will go inland!

After reading several other posts, I am now considering going to Talkeetna.

The flightseeing really interests me. I was thinking that maybe DH, my father and possibly my 8 year old could go on a flightseeing tour. My mom and my 4 yo would need to occupy themselves during the tour. Any suggestions? How close are the tour companies to town?

Which tour companies are most recommended on this board. I've only been able to look at the Talkeenta Air Taxi website. They have several tours - any recommendations on which tour?

What are some other things that we could see in the area. Things like canoeing/kayaking are out. Easy hike/walk is okay.

Would driving to Denali STATE park be worth the drive? We are NOT doing Denali National Park.

What can you do at the Iditarod HQ? I was considering doing the dog musher's camp in the Yukon. I think we just want to meet the dogs and learn about them, not necessarily go for a ride. Would one be better than the other (Wasillia vs Yukon).

Now as for my brother - the craziness in Seward appeals to him. So we may switch plans - he goes south whereas we will go inland!

I like K2 and Talkeetna Aero for Talkeetna flightseeing. Be, very aware of the different tours offered and be certain you get the type you want. A lot of differences. My preference is always the summit flights. :)

There is Little Coal Creek trail which is pretty easy, in the Denali State Park. But overall, it probably isn't going to be what you may think. It's wide open --space. maybe a few, dirt paths, no "visitor centers", no tour operators lined up etc.

As for Wasilla, this is the cheapest of the cart rides, was $10 for a quick run. These have been Reddington dogs, in the past. There is a small museum- Togo is stuffed there. Interesting story. :) 30 minute stop with a ride. :)

If of interest, I would not pick "one" of these visits, you may still want to consider both sled dog activities.

Archived