Champagne waterfall

ck3mcpherson

Is this done on every princess cruise??

YES! it is a Princess tradition (thanks to Sitmar?) and one of the things that makes "P" unique. It was one of the hi-lites of our cruise.

OK.....help me out here. And be nice; this question is being asked in all sincerity.

I have been on many cruises....Cunard, Crystal, Seabourn, Silversea, ResidenSea....and I have never seen a champagne waterfall. In fact, I’ve never heard of one. So I went searching on line, and found a video of such a waterfall which someone had posted.

Granted, the quality of the video was not real good, but I heard lots of "uh"ing and "ah"ing in the background. Maybe I’ll experience my first waterfall on the Diamond this fall; we are on the 17-night cruise SEA to Japan....and with 5 consecutive days at sea, I’m sure they will pull out all of their tricks to keep us busy and entertained.

So tell me.....what’s the whimsy and magic of a champagne waterfall?

Cheers!

It is the continuation of an old italian cruising tradition started by Sitmar. It is kinda like an indoor island party where everyone party's, drink & dances including the wait staff (well everything but the drinking part)

In 1999, Luuk Broos, director of Maison Luuk-Chalet Fontaine, constructed a 56 wide, 56 tall champagne fountain at the Steigenberger Kurhaus Hotel, Scheveningen, Netherlands. It was made from 30,856 traditional long-stem champagne flutes. Of course this could never be accomplished on a ship. In 1993 the Maitre D' on the Regal Princess set the record for the highest champagne fountain on a ship. I was there but cannot remember how high it was. Here is a pic from our 5/21 cruise..

coral95a.jpg

To me it is one of those things that one should participate in at least once. It was fun watching the building, then all the streamers and music started and best of all were the great little desserts passed around. It was held on formal night so with all the glitz and glitter it was fun. The party people were dancing on the stairs, landings and in the atrium. Would I stay up until midnight to see it again, probably not. Goes to show I am not a party person. :D

DorisDay - thanks for the heads up, guess there is no reason to respond to comments like that, some people have a hidden agenda; to rile other posters up :confused:

Years ago on Sitmar Fairstar they did the champagne waterfall with a food coloring in some of the glasses and it came out like a rainbow,but on my last cruise it was a plain one with some strawberries. I never tasted any but saw the waiters pop the bottles so it was "real" stuff. Well worth seeing at least once in your life,I had 2 goes last time as my friends missed getting the photo. I also noticed the Maitre d loving every minute of having his photo taken with the ladies,if she was young and attractive his arm went round the waist but if older it just went lightly round the shoulders!!!:rolleyes:

when the original Star Princess first sailed in 89 they placed dry ice in the glasses, the effect was magical once the bubbly started pouring. Never seen it used on any other ships.

Love the comment about the Maitre D, so true

before taking our first princess cruise in december (we were celebrity folks), i read over and over about people marveling at the champagne waterfall. you can't miss it, they insisted.

fine, myself and my husband (30s)..and my parents (70s) stood there in the crowd watching them build it, streamers in hand (they pass them out), waiting, waiting for the fun to unfold.

the only interesting (and somewhat disturbing) thing that did happen was this: two bleached blonde easter european women who insisted on laying out topless (hands over boobies, rhinestone thongs flossing their behinds) hurled their streamers (still in the ball, unrolled) at the tower trying to knock it down. they were up above, so the streamers had quite a bit of velocity and clearly scared the men assembling this mountain of glass. the women--who may have been prostitutes, seriously (i'm not a prude)--were chastised. the tower survived. but no fun was had, by us anyway. save your precious moments on board and take a stroll under the stars, perhaps a dip in the hot tub.

before taking our first princess cruise in december (we were celebrity folks), i read over and over about people marveling at the champagne waterfall. you can't miss it, they insisted.

fine, myself and my husband (30s)..and my parents (70s) stood there in the crowd watching them build it, streamers in hand (they pass them out), waiting, waiting for the fun to unfold.

the only interesting (and somewhat disturbing) thing that did happen was this: two bleached blonde easter european women who insisted on laying out topless (hands over boobies, rhinestone thongs flossing their behinds) hurled their streamers (still in the ball, unrolled) at the tower trying to knock it down. they were up above, so the streamers had quite a bit of velocity and clearly scared the men assembling this mountain of glass. the women--who may have been prostitutes, seriously (i'm not a prude)--were chastised. the tower survived. but no fun was had, by us anyway. save your precious moments on board and take a stroll under the stars, perhaps a dip in the hot tub.

Maybe I'll go just in case...............:eek:

Oh Amagar .... it's a shame that those rowdy tramps spoiled the waterfall experience for you. I've enjoyed many glasses of the Champagne and it was fine .... not top of the line, but fine just the same.

I never miss the event when I cruise Princess ... my favorite cruise line!

LOL, 'may have been prostitutes' that'll be the Carnival influence for you.

Here's a pic of my wife pouring on the Caribbean Princess a few weeks ago. Don't know where dorisday got her info. It is the same champagne use in the waterfall as given out by the stewards! It's not the greatest, but the price was right.

CIMG0124.jpeg.f1215c4c2137f6971a749a2d08e89688.jpeg

Are you all sure about the vinegar thing? When they were disassembling the waterfall on the Coral, they were giving those glasses to passengers? And as far as the champagne goes, it's not really that bad. Of course it isn't premium or anything, but that's not surprising since it would probably be a little too costly (especially with all the waste). Or maybe my standards are just low :). As a student, I've seen people drink far worse.

Yes Im a wine snob....... and proud of it!

:) :o

Good for you Doris, so am I, there´s nothing worse than freebie cheap plonk:eek: , I´d rather purchase a good glass of wine or Champagne and really enjoy it:)

Archived