UPDATE: Argentina Reciprocity Fee For Cruise Ship Passengers

dr__dawggy

Susan-M: Thank you for the Embassy link. My question was answered by the following:

"U.S. citizens who previously paid the fee and its validity period has not expired in accordance to the provisions of the National Migration Directorate, do not need to pay it again."

At least I am assuming my question was answered. We paid a fee upon arrival at EZE prior to our T/A cruise in 2011. I have a sticker in my passport saying it is good until 2021, but I have no way of knowing if this is the same fee as is being discussed now. Hope so. We will be docking in BA & Ushuaia next December.

Susan-M: Thank you for the Embassy link. My question was answered by the following:

"U.S. citizens who previously paid the fee and its validity period has not expired in accordance to the provisions of the National Migration Directorate, do not need to pay it again."

At least I am assuming my question was answered. We paid a fee upon arrival at EZE prior to our T/A cruise in 2011. I have a sticker in my passport saying it is good until 2021, but I have no way of knowing if this is the same fee as is being discussed now. Hope so. We will be docking in BA & Ushuaia next December.

It is the same fee. The amount may have changed slightly from when you paid the fee, but your stamp is good for 10 years.

Does anyone know if there is a fee to be paid when flying out of Santiago when one does not stay in Santiago but only disembarks from the ship.

Information available on the Internet is a bit confusing.

Thanks

Deanna

Does anyone know if there is a fee to be paid when flying out of Santiago when one does not stay in Santiago but only disembarks from the ship.

Information available on the Internet is a bit confusing.

Thanks

Deanna

Deanna, Since the title of this thread is specific to Argentina people with knowledge about Chile might miss it....you might want to post your question on a thread regarding fees in Chile or South America in general as well as here.

A poster on Trip Advisor recently encountered a problem that had not occurred to me, which Cruise Critic members should consider if a trip to Iguazu is part of your vacation.

Cruise line passengers are exempt from paying the fee for arrivals prior to July 1.

However, if you visit Iguazu falls and cross over into Brazil for the day to see the falls from the other side, you will be subject to the fee upon reentry into Argentina.

Reminder: the fee must be paid online prior to entry. So, if you plan to go to Iguazu and to cross into Brazil while there, pay the fee online before you travel.

The way I interpret the statement from the Argentinian embassy is in complete agreement with your conclusion about visiting the Brazilian side of the falls. Crossing from Brazil back into Argentina will trigger the need to pay the reciprocity fee. I wonder if seeing the Brazil side of the falls is worth $320.

What happens if someone tries to board a flight to Brazil without a visa? Most likely this will be what happens when boarding a flight to Argentina on December 28 and beyond. Might be a scramble to find a computer and a printer before boarding the flight. At land crossings, might just be turned away. And once July 1 arrives, without the paid fee, the cruise line will be hesitant to allow boarding. While Argentina says that they do not require a visa, this will become a defacto visa. Glad that I still have 8 years on my old receipt.

That one is very simple. The airline will not let you get on the flight. Just like going to Argentina now. No visa. No board. If the airline were to let you on athen they are responsible for getting you out of Argentina and back to your home country or another country where a vias is not required.

Definately not worth it.

Just off Seabourn Sojourn on January 4th.

Had prepaid that Reciprocity Fee for all 4 of us before boarding at the request of Seabourn.

Was never asked for the receipts from anyone on Seabourn prior to disembarking, anyone at the terminal or anyone ever in Buenos Aires, including at the airport when we left on January 5th.

I had excellent customer service from Seabourn when I called to tell them about the experience, they immediately credited my credit card for the full amount. Bravo to them even though I should have been spared the entire process had they read the same exemption as you have on this thread.

Just off Seabourn Sojourn on January 4th.

Had prepaid that Reciprocity Fee for all 4 of us before boarding at the request of Seabourn.

Was never asked for the receipts from anyone on Seabourn prior to disembarking, anyone at the terminal or anyone ever in Buenos Aires, including at the airport when we left on January 5th.

I had excellent customer service from Seabourn when I called to tell them about the experience, they immediately credited my credit card for the full amount. Bravo to them even though I should have been spared the entire process had they read the same exemption as you have on this thread.

Nice to hear a story about a cruise line responding immediately and appropriately to a customer service complaint!

In Seabourn's defense, there was much confusion about changes in Argentina's policies regarding the reciprocity fee. The delayed implementation date for cruise line passengers was not mentioned at the time of the initial announcement. Consequently, they probably acted on the best information available to them at the time.

In any case, rather than relying on an excuse...they simply took full responsibility for the error and refunded your fee. Since the fee is good for ten years, you now have a free pass to visit Argentina again.:)

Thanks for sharing.

srb16,

So if someone boards the Sojourn in Santiago on February 18th then there is no need for the fee to be paid when disembarking in BA two weeks later, staying a few days and than flying home?

Not srb, but I can answer your question: No, if you board in Santiago and disembark from a cruise ship two weeks later you do not need to pay the fee, even though you stay a few days and fly home. Cruise passengers are exempt from the fee until July 1.

Caution: If you disembark and subsequently take a day trip to Uruguay or fly to Iguazu Falls, cross into Brazil and return, you will need to pay the fee prior to reentering Argentina. But as long as you remain in Argentina, you are exempt.

Edited by dr__dawggy

• 2 years later...
A poster on Trip Advisor recently encountered a problem that had not occurred to me, which Cruise Critic members should consider if a trip to Iguazu is part of your vacation.

Cruise line passengers are exempt from paying the fee for arrivals prior to July 1.

However, if you visit Iguazu falls and cross over into Brazil for the day to see the falls from the other side, you will be subject to the fee upon reentry into Argentina.

Reminder: the fee must be paid online prior to entry. So, if you plan to go to Iguazu and to cross into Brazil while there, pay the fee online before you travel.

And you would also need a Brazilian visa, not sure they enforce it but they could.

I was surprised to see new lists to this thread. The "new" information in the

First post is now almost 4 years old and hopelessly out of date.

Just to be clear, if you are a citizen of the US, Canada or Australia, the reciprocity fee is mandatory, regardless of whether you enter Argentina by air, ship, or land. It does not matter if you stop off in another country before crossing into Argentina. Enter on a passport from one of these countries, and the fee is required and must be paid on line prior to departure for Argentina.

The fee for US citizens is US 160 and is valid for 10 years. The amount varies for residents of other countries, depending on how much each country charges Argentines for a visa to visit.

I was surprised to see new lists to this thread. The "new" information in the

First post is now almost 4 years old and hopelessly out of date.

Just to be clear, if you are a citizen of the US, Canada or Australia, the reciprocity fee is mandatory, regardless of whether you enter Argentina by air, ship, or land. It does not matter if you stop off in another country before crossing into Argentina. Enter on a passport from one of these countries, and the fee is required and must be paid on line prior to departure for Argentina.

The fee for US citizens is US 160 and is valid for 10 years. The amount varies for residents of other countries, depending on how much each country charges Argentines for a visa to visit.

Correct.

Keith

I read somewhere (may have been FT but can't remember) that they were denied boarding the plane on the way to Buenos Aires because they couldn't show they had a reciprocity fee payment confirmation. We are going from Buenos Aires to Rio in mid-February and have the visa AND the confirmation. Will have the confirmations in my purse.

I read somewhere (may have been FT but can't remember) that they were denied boarding the plane on the way to Buenos Aires because they couldn't show they had a reciprocity fee payment confirmation. We are going from Buenos Aires to Rio in mid-February and have the visa AND the confirmation. Will have the confirmations in my purse.

Last February the American Airlines boarding staff in Miami certainly were checking to ensure that those passengers who needed to pay the reciprocity fee actually had their receipt (we had to physically produce it -- the staff weren't taking your word that you had paid it and also a copy of your receipt). We also had to show the physical receipt to immigration officials once reaching BA.

I'd like to hear from any recent cruisers who entered Argentina via the cruise ship. For example, our cruise begins in Chile, but then goes to Argentina. So our airline won't be asking for our receipt for the AR reciprocity fee, since we're flying to Chile.

Does the cruise ship ask for the receipt upon check-in in Chile? Or are there Argentinian officials waiting at the first AR port, to check every passenger?

We'd just like to know the process, and how they are checking for compliance. We have a private land tour planned, and can't really afford to be held back so officials can check 4,000 passengers as they get off the ship.

I'd like to hear from any recent cruisers who entered Argentina via the cruise ship. For example, our cruise begins in Chile, but then goes to Argentina. So our airline won't be asking for our receipt for the AR reciprocity fee, since we're flying to Chile.

Does the cruise ship ask for the receipt upon check-in in Chile? Or are there Argentinian officials waiting at the first AR port, to check every passenger?

We'd just like to know the process, and how they are checking for compliance. We have a private land tour planned, and can't really afford to be held back so officials can check 4,000 passengers as they get off the ship.

Princess verifies payment of the fee at check in. I can't say how it works with other cruise lines. I assume the process is similar but can't say for certain. We were not checked at all by Argentina officials, even at disembarkation.

Edited by dr__dawggy

On arrival from the USA, once you show the receipt to immigration, do they stamp your passport that you've paid the fee? Or do you have to keep the printout of the receipt in the passport during your entire trip?

We will be boarding the NCL Sun in Santiago Chile in a couple of weeks and we've been notified by them that we must present our receipt of payment at time of check in