buying waterproof gear for Alaska

fireflymd

I found Cruising Goddess' website and her recommendations for what to pack. To prepare for the rain, it looks like we'll need rain jackets (the 3-in-1 jacket idea sounds great); rain pants, waterproof hiking shoes/boots. (We will be spending a day hiking in Denali park.) Also recommended were convertible pants (to convert to shorts).

Any preferences any of you have on the particular items?

I found Cruising Goddess' website and her recommendations for what to pack. To prepare for the rain, it looks like we'll need rain jackets (the 3-in-1 jacket idea sounds great); rain pants, waterproof hiking shoes/boots. (We will be spending a day hiking in Denali park.) Also recommended were convertible pants (to convert to shorts).

Any preferences any of you have on the particular items?

It could depend on the month .

REI or Cabela's would be a good source. However, just a couple of observations: I am not sure what was recommended in the way of a 3 in 1 jacket but I would avoid anything with a sewn in liner as if a jacket leaks a sewn in liner is extremely difficult to dry aboard a ship. If you really feel you need rain pants and are doing some serious hiking then make sure they are made of a breathable material like Gore-Tex (the same applies for a jacket). Lastly, I would recommend purchasing some waterpoof spray and spraying your shoes/boots several times before leaving home.

There are lots of choices when it comes to water proof gifts.

Check out stores in person.

REI was mentioned which was a good choice. There is also sports academy, dick's sporting goods and others to check out.

Personally I like the North Face Jacket, Fleece that can zipper in and out, and North Face water proof pants. Whatever jacket you get, be sure it is water proof not water resistant.

Keith

I buy REI because we have a store locally. I've got their EVENT Rain Pants and they are awesome. When we have Hurricane Sandy rains and winds come through I was the official dog walker on the street because I'm the only one that had all the gear to actually stay dry, lol.

REI became my favorite store before we went to Alaska. LL Bean also has some nice stuff as well. I got a nice light weight water proof jacket from them (is actually very handy when taking the dog out in the rain now). The one item we did spent $$ on was our hiking shoes (too many bad experiences with wet feetin the Army....). I got good Salamon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 for our hiking. Waterproof, breathable, and very comfortable. We spent the $$ because of the amount of hiking we did, plus I use them back at home to. Definitely go to the store to get shoes. Also remember you can do laundry in the ship, so you do not have to bring a ton of stuff. After our land tour and our first full day on the ship, a trip to the laundry was in order.

I keep a pair of Frogg Toggs water proof pants in my backpack. The set of jacket and pants runs less than $40 at well known outfitters like REI. They don't have pockets, but do keep you dry.

They also do not seem to wear out.

I wear the pants over other pants as they are not lined.

Not a fashion statement!

Re: rainwear

I have been on trips to Southeast Alaska in May and July and never really needed rain pants. I bought a pair for my first trip on a small ship where we were outdoors everyday, hiking, kayaking, or glacier watching, but I only wore the rain pants once. I found them to be too warm, even over cotton pants, and just too bulky for hiking.

Even in May, Southeast is not really cold enough for heavy coats. I found the best gear is a lightweight waterproof and breathable rain jacket with extra room to layer a sweater or fleece underneath if necessary, as well as a good fitting hood. Having a waterproof day pack for stowing the rain jacket when the weather clears is also a good idea.

You can buy gear in lots of places, but my favs are REI, Eddie Bauer or Sierra Trading Post (sign up on their email list for regular sales).

I found REI when my oldest son started backpacking with his Boy Scout troop. LOVE IT!! I plan on heading over there in January to hit the clearance sales and stock up on stuff for our Alaska cruise next June. I got my waterproof Merrell hikers last January at a price comparable to a local outlet type shoe store here.

If you become an REI member look for the used gear sales. In my area (northern VA) the sales are always on a Saturday at 10am....beware - you usually need to get there by 4:30am to pick up a ticket at 8am and to be in the first group. I don't do this often except when I've been looking for something in particular....got an Arctyrex Jacket for DH that was normally $300 for $60. Asolo hiking boots that were normally $250 for $40.... Some pretty darn good deals but you really have to know what you are looking for if you're in that first group because by the time you're done browsing - a lot of the stuff is gone.

There are lots of choices when it comes to water proof gifts.

Check out stores in person.

REI was mentioned which was a good choice. There is also sports academy, dick's sporting goods and others to check out.

Personally I like the North Face Jacket, Fleece that can zipper in and out, and North Face water proof pants. Whatever jacket you get, be sure it is water proof not water resistant.

Keith

My favorite for my Alaska trip was Sierra Trading Post,bought hiking shoes waterproof,wool socks, Gortex, prices better than REI.Cabelas

Most will not have a need for rain pants. If there is an excursion where you will most likely get wet like white water rafting, they will supply the rain gear. Unless you have a need for rain pants at home, there’s no need to spend a lot of money on them. I bought a pair 10 years ago for 20 bucks at Costco that I’ve never worn. I will admit that they are usually in my backpack when traveling in Alaska.

Most will not have a need for rain pants. If there is an excursion where you will most likely get wet like white water rafting, they will supply the rain gear. Unless you have a need for rain pants at home, there’s no need to spend a lot of money on them. I bought a pair 10 years ago for 20 bucks at Costco that I’ve never worn. I will admit that they are usually in my backpack when traveling in Alaska.

I agree. I've been to Alaska 5 times and have never felt the need for them. I do travel mid-summer (July - August) so conditions might be different at other times. I live in the Seattle area and don't even own rain pants. Or an umbrella. A good rain jacket with a hood is NECESSARY.

I agree. I've been to Alaska 5 times and have never felt the need for them. I do travel mid-summer (July - August) so conditions might be different at other times. I live in the Seattle area and don't even own rain pants. Or an umbrella. A good rain jacket with a hood is NECESSARY.

From my own experience i've found rain pants to hot to wear even in the rain. A good rain jacket with head covering is the most important . I work in the bush in all weather and seasons , I've used any special clothes except wool longjohns for warmth in the extreme low temps.

TBN hubby here...

Two cruises to Alaska. One early season cruise was rainy nearly every day for most of the each day. The other was free of rain with abnormally high temperatures.

For both trips we used Gortex brand SHELL jackets with sealed seams and also took a down vest and fleece long sleeve shirt and a fairly thin WOOL sweater. That spread of clothing allows mixing and matching to suit the conditions. Did take Gortex pants as well and a good quality, well broken in, waterproof hiking boots and wool socks. The boots were invaluable and we did use the pants several days on the rainy trip. All of this (except for the boots) is very packable.

If you skimp on the shell, you might also consider fiberfill instead of down since a leaking shell can really ruin your day if you have down.

Archived