Adults cruising over Christmas...are we crazy?

lawgirl

In 2010, we sailed the Disney Magic for Christmas and in 2011, we sailed the HAL Westerdam for Christmas - so opposite ends of the spectrum. We didn't have any issues with the kids on either of them, but the "vibe" on each ship was totally different. DCL was festive, fun, and it felt like Christmas on steroids. On HAL, it barely felt like Christmas at all. I think the passengers on the Magic were there to celebrate the holiday, whereas the Westerdam passengers were there to escape the holiday. I would expect the RCI crowd to be more celebratory, so if you want to feel like its still Christmas, I'd take my chances with the kids. They bring an energy to the holiday that adults simply don't. On the other hand, if you're looking to escape the holiday, I'd look for another ship or a different date.

If I had choice, I would not cruise over Christmas because of the high cost. Christmas week and the week over New Years are the most expensive times of the year. Those weeks are about double the cost of the cruises a fe weeks earlier or later than Christnas

Thanks for all the input! For anyone who cruises over Christmas this year, have a great cruise and please report back on this thread! I think we are going to at least book the cruise for now, as we did get a hump cabin, but we may cancel later, so looking forward to 2012 reports. Thanks!!!

this will be my and hubby's 2nd cruise; first was on Carnival Pride leaving on Halloween for my husband's bday. After the fact, we learned of the 2200 peeps on board 550 were kids....to be honest, i didn't notice them.

when we booked our 12/24/2013 cruise yesterday, my husband and i were speaking with our TA (we were going to book either way) but asked two questions (I guess to prepare my husband)- could they say how many child booking existed, and were there any adult only areas? the TA Mary said in her expewrience riding RC, there are children everywhere, and her RC ship (not Granduer as we're booked) did have adult area only, and to remember the kids generally hang out in the kids' areas/clubs/etc.

And as Mary suggested sarcastically (I loved the joke; we have the twisted wicked sense of humor needed for hubby's career)...she asked why we were choosing christmas/NY to get away; I explained besides getting the 2 holidays, my 40th bday falls near the end; my daughter will be 20, and his son 16, and both are from previous relationships, so end up usually not ending up seeing them on the holidays anyway, and now with deaths in the family becoming more frequent (my hub has lost 2 bros two yrs back to back- 1 the week after thanksgiving last yr, and 1 on halloween/ hub's bday this yr. his dad is 89, so he may not have many more holidays, but as we spoke with his sis, who lost her husband unexpectedly a month before their scheduled 20th anniversay cruise- don't wait for special times, cuz you're not guaranteed tomorrow....sorry for rambling) we decided to put him and me first this time. So Mary gives the best quip- at least on a cruise you can yell at perfect strangers and never see them again; would you rather fight with perfect strangers or family on holidays?;)

If I had choice, I would not cruise over Christmas because of the high cost. Christmas week and the week over New Years are the most expensive times of the year. Those weeks are about double the cost of the cruises a fe weeks earlier or later than Christnas

funny you should say that.. for the exact same cabin on the same ship, we paid less than $300 total more over our last cruise.. which was also over a Holiday weekend( Memorial day)

yes, I am worried about excess kids. but I figure I can escape to the Solarium if it gets too bad.. or my suite.

You could join us on the Enchantment - December 22-29. She cruises out of Baltimore. I will protect you from the hordes of rugrats and anklebiters!

I am a teacher, so I must cruise when the kids are out of school. It doesn't bother me too much, and I have no fear of them or their parents. I will stop a misbehaving child in his/her tracks with my "voice of God" voice. :)

I know somebody who will be on that cruise with her husband and two daughters. They are nice, well-behaved girls. I saw her a month or so ago and mentioned that I was cruising from Baltimore December 15 - 22 and then she told me about her cruise. It would have been nice to have been on the same cruise. My friend and I chose the earlier week because we thought it would have fewer kids and it was less expensive.

I haven't mastered the "voice of God" but I have a "death glare" that's fairly effective on all ages. ;)

I know somebody who will be on that cruise with her husband and two daughters. They are nice, well-behaved girls. I saw her a month or so ago and mentioned that I was cruising from Baltimore December 15 - 22 and then she told me about her cruise. It would have been nice to have been on the same cruise. My friend and I chose the earlier week because we thought it would have fewer kids and it was less expensive.

I haven't mastered the "voice of God" but I have a "death glare" that's fairly effective on all ages. ;)

And the combination of BOTH is truly a marvel to behold! ;) :D

We took a Christmas cruise last year (with our two adult sons) and although there were more kids than usual - more large family groups than usual - there wasn't much difference in that cruise than any other we've taken.

I think we were on Princess, but I'm sure the experience would be the same on all ships at Christmas.

The ship was beautifully decorated and it was a great cruise. They had a visit from Santa with gifts for the children. It was a photo op time - where you could buy the ship's photos or you could take your own photos. Even though our "children" didn't visit with Santa, I liked that they didn't prevent you from taking your own photos. We enjoyed watching the children visit with Santa, so wander on over there even if your children are too old to see Santa. And BTW - adults could visit with Santa also, but you don't get the gift. ;)

We are planning another Christmas week cruise for 2013 even though cruising the first week of December instead of Christmas week would be a less expensive endeavor. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Ok...we are tentatively booked on the Jewel out of San Juan for Christmas 2013... Anyone just back from Christmas cruise? Was it OK or are we crazy? We have 5 ports and on,y one sea day, so if the ship is crazy, we won't be on it much!!

We have done a number of Christmas cruises, this past one on Adventure out of San Juan. Sure there were kids but noticeably fewer than were on the Navigator out of Ft Lauderdale last year. Have also done Radiance out of Tampa, and there were fewer kids. IMHO, Voyager/Freedom/Oasis class out of US ports will be full of kids, more for them to do, activities, etc. San Juan, not as much, and Radiance class doesn't seem to get the same volume either.

(and we are "kidless" cruisers too. )

My family is also booked on the Grandeur on the 24th of 2013. This will be our 3rd christmas cruise. The first 2 were the week before and this actually being on the holiday.

I must have been smoking crack to actually think there wouldn't be that many kids b/c I thought they would be at home waiting for Santa. Where did I come up with that stupid idea. I really don't have a problem with alot of kids. They hang in the kids area. I only get uneasy when they show up at adult comedy shows or adult activities.

Do parents bring presents on the cruise? I was just curious.

Archived