Formal Nights Question?

hawkers

We are very excited about our upcoming seven week tour of Europe beginning next August which concludes with an eleven night Western Mediterranean cruise. We are limited with luggage space and therefore considering not taking "formal attire" as I'm thinking this would only be worn twice. My question relates to venues available to eat dinner on these nights if you don't dress formally. We have always enjoyed Formal Nights but this time it does not appear practical to carry suits or even jackets.

I too am interested in this question as I am taking a 14 day transatlantic cruise to Europe and the spending another two weeks traveling around Europe. I am considering whether to take formal attire or not due to space issues as well.

I have researched this question a bit myself and this is the conclusion I have come up with. You are safe with the buffet, where more casual attire is allowed. You can also order room service where the same meals available in the dining room are available to you. Other choices would be the specialty restaurants available on your particular ship for a fee. They won't require formal attire, but resort casual dress.

I'm sure someone with more expertise can come along and add any more details that I have left out or correct me on anything I may have said wrong.

We are very excited about our upcoming seven week tour of Europe beginning next August which concludes with an eleven night Western Mediterranean cruise. We are limited with luggage space and therefore considering not taking "formal attire" as I'm thinking this would only be worn twice. My question relates to venues available to eat dinner on these nights if you don't dress formally. We have always enjoyed Formal Nights but this time it does not appear practical to carry suits or even jackets.

The options are the buffet, specialty restuarants or room service.:D

We have taken well over 20 celebrity cruises and we just don't do formal nights anymore. Way too much to pack and on a European cruise, you will no doubt be out on a tour all day and be pooped. Believe me, the buffet line in the Cafe will look great after being out all day, especially on the formal nights. Save yourself a lot of room in your suitcase and a lot less stress on yourself. It's not worth getting dressed up for a few hours when you're pooped. You'll be surprised at the number of people eating in the Cafe on formal nights. We were and we never felt out of place. I know the ship wants everyone to be in formal attire even if you are walking around on the ship, so we usually lie low and abide by their rules, but you do see people not dressed formally walking around. A nice pair of slacks and shirt for a man and the same for a lady are acceptable.

The middle one of our 3 formals, we couldn't be bothered to dress up, so ate outside on deck at the back of the buffet. It was a lovely, balmy evening and we really enjoyed our wine out there.

What made us laugh was the amount of people arriving later on, in formal wear, to get more food. They must not have had their fill in the MDR. :D

We have taken well over 20 celebrity cruises and we just don't do formal nights anymore. Way too much to pack and on a European cruise, you will no doubt be out on a tour all day and be pooped. Believe me, the buffet line in the Cafe will look great after being out all day, especially on the formal nights. Save yourself a lot of room in your suitcase and a lot less stress on yourself. It's not worth getting dressed up for a few hours when you're pooped. You'll be surprised at the number of people eating in the Cafe on formal nights. We were and we never felt out of place. I know the ship wants everyone to be in formal attire even if you are walking around on the ship, so we usually lie low and abide by their rules, but you do see people not dressed formally walking around. A nice pair of slacks and shirt for a man and the same for a lady are acceptable.

Just so you are aware all the specialty restaurants are smart casual and you do not have to walk around dressed up all night. They eliminated that five years ago. Formal only applies to MDR, has been that way for a couple of years.

Archived