How to spend $2000 travel gift certificate

youwash

My hardworking DH has just recieved a $2000.00 travel gift cert. from his employer as a Christmas present. They know we love cruising and were so thoughtful to give this to us. Now the planning begins. We already have the one booked for Feb. so I guess we would be looking for next winter. ( have to get out of the cold in Wisconsin)

I have really been looking at transatlantic cruises. We have never done longer than 7 days. What is the weather like east bound and west bound?

Is it warm enough to be sunbathing? Not sure DH could handle all the sea days?

This planning is going to be more fun than usual-since we are not paying for it!

What an amazing bonus!! Congrats!

We are planning a Panama Canal cruise for next year so that would be the only trans-anything we will have done, but it promises to be a great trip!

Would you do anything exotic like 14 night Asia, or are you strictly looking at trans-atlantic?

Andrea

Wow! Nice!

We have done 2 TA cruises. One in May and one in April. Both Eastbound. The problem going East is that you lose an hour almost every night. We had "okay" weather on both trips. We had rain on our first one in May for a couple of days and seas were "moderate". I think the highest they got were 12-15 feet. We had a couple of days where it was warm enough to be poolside.

We love the sea days, but if you aren't sure about being at sea for 6-7 days straight then it may not be the cruise for you. I personally love them:p

I do know that are next TA will be going West:)

Like the others.........I have heard wonderful things about the Panama Canal cruises.

Actually my husbands first words were "Panama Canal". I think I will look into that direction.

The certificate is from a local travel agency with an exp. date of 12/11/13. I will double check with them but am guessing travel only needs to be booked by then.

I am so happy that I get to be planning another vacation

our very first cruise was from Tampa - 1/2 way through the Panama Canal and back. It was :D:D FABULOUS :D:D.

The only issue is that some of the mega ships can't get through the locks, so you'll have to go on a smaller ship. We prefer the smaller ones, but others like the big ones......personal preference.

Anyway....congrats! What a wonderful bonus here at the end of the year! I hope you enjoy (although I'm sure you will) your cruise. You will certainly have to keep us posted as to what you decide upon!

I would second a Panama Canal cruise - but the whole transit, if you can - totally worth it! The M-class ships can make the whole transit, its' amazing. Have also done it on Princess ships - again, very good.

As for Trans-Atlantics, not a lot of options in Winter. Basically, Cunard is the only one really sailing those routes in the winter months - the other lines are in the warmer climates already! So, it would have to be fall or spring on other lines, i.e. Celebrity! We too have done both ways and like Westbound for the extra hour every day or so - very relaxing! But even the Eastbounds were great and you don't necessarily "feel" losing that hour, until you hit the ports on the other end, then suddenly it caught up to us!

Wherever you choose - have a great time! Spurge on a great cabin (you're not paying for it, or at least not all of it!), pick a great itinerary and enjoy!! What a great gift!

Actually my husbands first words were "Panama Canal". I think I will look into that direction.

The certificate is from a local travel agency with an exp. date of 12/11/13. I will double check with them but am guessing travel only needs to be booked by then.

I am so happy that I get to be planning another vacation

Congratulations and Happy Holidays to you both. Our Panama Canal cruise has to be our #1 cruise; relaxing, sunshine, great ports of call, and witnessing one of the great Wonders of the World. We were lucky and did a Royal Caribbean full transit to Acapulco from either Florida or San Juan. Again, it was wonderful. We went at the end of October and although we had a few rain showers here and there, the sun can out each day. Give your TA a call and have them start looking for you. Sounds like the certificate can be used on any cruise line that they sell. I highly recommend a full transit; just enough days at sea and at port. Stay a pre and post cruise night if you go for the full transit.

Congratulations on a wonderful Christmas bonus. No doubt your husband very much deserves it!

We've done several Transatlantics and love them. However from experience I'd select Westbound (Fall) over Eastbound (Spring) for a number of reasons.

1. The time change effect as has been mentioned here. 25 hour days westbound vs. 23 hour days eastbound.

2. You get the dreaded Transatlantic flight over with at the beginning and then relax and sail home.

3. From our experience we've had warmer, drier weather sailing in Oct/Nov (westbound) than Mar/Apr/May (eastbound). Of course weather is always a crap shoot, but that's been our experience. We also prefer more southern Atlantic sailings (Spain, Portugal to Florida) vs. northern (NY, New Jersey, etc to France, UK, Holland, etc.

Having said that, the Panama Canal sailings are also wonderful for the many relaxing sea days and the fact you don't have a long Transatlantic flight.

Good luck with your travel plans! ;)

Archived