No duplicate bridge on celebrity cruises

triplecbb

Do you agree that celebrity should provide bridge duplicate on their cruises?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree that celebrity should provide bridge duplicate on their cruises?

• Yes
    • No

Those who don't care about playing bridge on a cruise can skip this post.

If you do like to play -- these cruise lines offer duplicate bridge play with ACBL certified directors on some cruises: Crystal (all cruises), Oceania, Cunard, Regent, Silversea, and Seabourn. There are likely a few others.

Additionally, there are "bridge cruises" lead by notable players/teachers/authors. Some such upcoming cruises are on HAL, NCL, Voyages to Antiquity, and believe it or not, the Premicon Queen, a luxury riverboat. There are likely others.

For now at least, you will have to look outside Celebrity for organized bridge.

• 3 months later...

All of Celebrity ships have safety back up systems. I am sure for something as important as the bridge if something were to happen they could control the ship from a different location. :D

On our 15 day Panama cruise ,with the most sea days I have ever experienced,

we brought the dice game FARKEL.:)

It does not need a director, boards, and anyone can learn in 4 minutes.;)

We played it at the Sunset Bar in the afternoon. Lots of interest after the third Mojito.

(Duplicate bridge is for SERIOUS bridge players.You really do not play partners, but only one can be declared the winner after all the boards are played.:eek:)

(Duplicate bridge is for SERIOUS bridge players.You really do not play partners, but only one can be declared the winner after all the boards are played.:eek:)

Duplicate bridge is almost always played by serious players; but it is also overwhelmingly played by a pair of partners together.

Rarely is there a game called an "individual", where you find yourself with a new partner every few hands.

People still play bridge? Is this a perculiarly US game these days cos I don't see it as being big in the UK or Australia.

Yes, people still play bridge. I have played in Australia (at several different bridge clubs, actually) and I have played at a few clubs AND at a tournament in Scotland.

This was in the past six years.

In fact, those two trips were to socialize with other players, some of whom I had met, playing online bridge, and others who were their other online friends or their local friends.

Anybody who would like to learn a leisure activity that is great mental exercise and allows you to meet many (sometimes interesting) people, please google ACBL or bridge lessons and your city.

And if one player throws their cards at another, please do summon the director and report, calmly and nicely and quietly, that somebody at the table is spoiling your enjoyment of the game. Rude behavior is actually not allowed these days at almost all ACBL-sanctioned games.

Edited by May B
accuracy

• 1 year later...

Our upcoming back to back has eight straight sea days and several more during the 28 days. It isn't just that there is no duplicate bridge games or directors or instructors, there is just no place to play where it is quiet enough to think!

Our last two Celebrity cruises had us roaming around the entire ship looking for a spot quiet enough to play bridge.

Some of the responders suggested that bridge players find another cruise line to patronize. Is that what it must come to - to be treated with some semblance of human consideration? I truly hope not.

I'm not a bridge player, so maybe there is something about the game that I don't understand, but why would you need a full-time director and a designated cabin to offer bridge games? My parents were avid bridge players when I was growing up, and hosted many large bridge parties with their bridge club. No one was a director, they just got together and played bridge in one another's living rooms. All I recall them needing were tables and chairs, standard playing cards, and score cards/pencils. Couldn't you do this anywhere? And isn't there a game room/card room on most Celebrity ships? I'm just confused.

Party bridge vs duplicate bridge. Your parents were doing the non-serious party bridge. The OP is talking about duplicate. It can be done informally, but anyone who cares about the game is going to prefer a game managed by a trained/certified director.

Google bridge cruises--lots of results.

Talk to your club and instructors in your home town--many of ours have served as organizers/instructors on cruisers, and they definitely advertise the cruises to us.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

• 2 years later...

I know last year on my Silly sailing of the Western Caribbean, there were over 200 people playing bridge, so many games going on, many staid on-board to continue playing in lieu of going ashore...

Not sure where the game supplies came from, they had no problems I could discern. I know there were a few passengers upset because several of the public rooms were overtaken with players...

Maybe the OP can find out which sailings will have participants and sail then?

Sorry this is a sore point for you and sent you packing for now.

bon voyage

... as well as a beginner class and an intermediate class.

Before you tell me it's too expensive to go on Crystal, price one and note what it includes:

gratuities

alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, all but the most expensive

one hour of internet every day

outstanding food and service

two visits per person to specialty restaurants (or more if the cruise is 14 days or longer)

and duplicate every at-sea day

and outstanding enrichment, every at-sea day and sometimes one lecture at 4:30 pm when that's the all-aboard time

There's a card room that is dedicated to formal bridge (as I've outlined above) whenever it's on the schedule. All the other times, it's a regular card room.

I don't know why Celebrity won't spend the money. I looked into directing onboard but I still would have had to pay enough money towards the trip that if I waited and did a last minute deal, it wouldn't cost me much more and I wouldn't have to give up all my free time.

If they actually gave certified directors free cruises, it would be worth working for them.

Really? Bridge would be at the bottom of my list. Plenty of other things to do on the ship.

Furthermore, I will no longer cruise on Celebrity until such a policy is reinstated. I would like to make this post a sticky and poll respondents.

I don't know why Celebrity won't spend the money. I looked into directing onboard but I still would have had to pay enough money towards the trip that if I waited and did a last minute deal, it wouldn't cost me much more and I wouldn't have to give up all my free time.

If they actually gave certified directors free cruises, it would be worth working for them.

Just wondering, out of the 2,100 to 2,900 passengers, how many of them would be playing bridge?

Just wondering, out of the 2,100 to 2,900 passengers, how many of them would be playing bridge?

You'd be surprised. I have friends that teach on other cruiselines and they get larger turnouts than at some tournaments. Blows my mind. Of course, the level of play is generally quite poor but everyone has fun and that's what matters. Makes it easy for the director to teach some lessons before play though.

You'd be surprised. I have friends that teach on other cruiselines and they get larger turnouts than at some tournaments. Blows my mind. Of course, the level of play is generally quite poor but everyone has fun and that's what matters. Makes it easy for the director to teach some lessons before play though.
Are you talking 200, 300, 400 passengers?

Are you talking 200, 300, 400 passengers?

Usually in the 100-150 range, from what I have seen. But how often do you see that number of passengers at one organized activity? I don't see Celebrity shutting down trivia, and they don't get 100 participants.

Edited by SusieV

Usually in the 100-150 range, from what I have seen. But how often do you see that number of passengers at one organized activity? I don't see Celebrity shutting down trivia, and they don't get 100 participants.
If your number is correct, that is how I would sell it to Celebrity. Possibly suggest to them that they try it out for a couple of cruises and if it is as successful as you believe, as far as the number of participants you are saying, then maybe they would consider rolling it out company wide.

I don't do trivia, but you have to remember that there is no additional cost (they use staff already assigned to the ship) when offering that activity, so comparing the two is like comparing apples to watermelons.

Trivia doesn't require a staff member with a lot of knowledge about one somewhat obscure thing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Trivia doesn't require a staff member with a lot of knowledge about one somewhat obscure thing.

Bridge is not what I would call "somewhat obscure", any more than some of the trivia questions I've heard on board!

That having been said, we almost never play bridge on board, b/c it's something we do all the time at home. We DO play trivia on board, b/c it's something we almost never do at home.

Sometimes we even learn something at trivia.

Now, back the numbers of bridge players. My guess is that the only cruises where you would actually see 100 people sitting down together to play bridge are the ones that have organized tournaments on board and are marketed as such.

If you want gold and red points, find a regional at sea.

If you want silver points, find a sectional at sea.

And there are often excellent bridge professionals lecturing at these cruises.

Alice Travel and GoAway Travel are two that come to mind, but there are a few others.

The Salobs get a nice group, always on Crystal; but you can play bridge on Crystal without the Salobs, too.

There are many opportunities to play bridge on a cruise ship. Depending on the cruise ship, there are many other things to do, as well.

One thing I do know: keep playing bridge! It's good for you as you age. It's mental exercise and it's a social activity as well.

:)

Bridge is not what I would call "somewhat obscure", any more than some of the trivia questions I've heard onboard

:)

Okay, but I know a lot of people, and the only person I've ever known to play bridge regularly was my grandmother, and she's been deceased for over twenty years.

And I live in Brooklyn. If young people were playing it ironically, I would know.