This information may make a very Merry Xmas for some

Cathy Maneri

In today's Miami Herald there was an article about what changes are/will be made to satisfy cruisers on ships.

Quoted:

"Of 2012’s three new ships, only the Oceania Riviera is not significantly different from the first ship in its class. Frank Del Rio, chairman and CEO of Prestige Cruise Holdings, Oceania’s parent company, says he’ll use the same design to build the next Oceania ship, although that will be at least two years off."

"Ship design changes reflect the lifestyle that passengers have on shore, Del Rio said. Just as homes are bigger than they were a generation or two ago, his line’s ships are bigger and so are staterooms. Dining is healthier and has more of a gourmet flair, the ambience and dress are more casual, and the stateroom has more amenities."

"Del Rio said Oceania also made mistakes. Designers didn’t anticipate the popularity of the Barista coffee bar — which, unlike most ships, offers free specialty coffee drinks — or the Bon Appetit Culinary Center, which offers hands-on cooking classes for a fee. And he’s disappointed that a 10-person private dining room, Privee, initially available for $1,000 a night but knocked down to $250, did not get much use. On the next ship, he said, the culinary center and the coffee bar will be larger, and Privee will be eliminated."

Just wanted to pass this info on.

Merry Christmas to all and Happy Cruising!

Thanks for passing this along. I had no idea that there was even a thought of a new ship. No mention of reworking the bathroom with the tiny shower, though. We will have our first experience with an O class ship on the Riviera Black Sea cruise in late July.

Happy holidays to all!

Harriet

Hhmm, interesting! I didn't find Baristas that crowded in August in the Baltic on Marina but then again, it's a small space, so maybe I was just there at the wrong times. As to Privee, it was seldom being used, so I would think that using that space for other things is wise.

For me, I just wish they had replicated the "R" ship library on the "O" ships ...

But that is my favorite space on the "R" ships and I never went there on Marina ... I know I'm not alone, but I also know that some others disagree.

Chacun a son gout!

Mura

The coffee bar was too small while we were on the Riviera (12/10). The library quarters were too tight. I did not like having a "tush" in my face while sitting. The book shelves were too close to the chairs.

We could have done without the bathtub and used the space for more closet space or a larger cabin(we were on deck 9).

The food was great as usual.

I wish they'd take Insignia back into the fleet!

Wishful thinking.

She's been altered too much and it would be too costly to "bring her back".

Not to mention all the smoking she will be subjected to.

Then there is the issue of how to fill 5 ships :)

I wish they'd take Insignia back into the fleet!

We were told by senior staff on Marina that Insignia is coming back after her 2-year lease period is up. I agree that the smoke issue will need to be addressed and probably itineraries will have to be tweaked to fill five ships. But many loyal O cruisers will welcome her return.

We were told by senior staff on Marina that Insignia is coming back after her 2-year lease period is up. I agree that the smoke issue will need to be addressed and probably itineraries will have to be tweaked to fill five ships. But many loyal O cruisers will welcome her return.

OMG! Merry Christmas to me!

I hope the news is true. I am really over the moon about the return of Insignia and the possibility of tweaking it to make it perfect. So, here goes.

Dear FDR:

If Insignia really is coming back to Oceania, I assume you have do a major overhaul. Perhaps this could be the opportunity to see what can be done with the fabulous R ships to make them even better!

Here is my wish list:

Create a space for the on board culinary lessons

Convert the Terrace Cafe into a space that can serve the grilled foods - lobster tails, filets, lamb chops.

Add those two features and Insignia would be the perfect ship.

Thanks for listening.

Dear Pacheco18, Paulchili et al:

First of all Merry Christmas today and Happy Holidays to all.

Insignia is indeed rejoining the fleet with her "maiden European voyage" scheduled for early May 2014.

Insignia, along with Regatta and Nautica, will all be dry docked in 2014 and will all undergo extensive refurbishments. The idea of installing Baristas in the space presently occupied by the Grand Bar is under consideration as is an expanded Terrace Cafe to include a grill. We don't see a feasible way to add a Bon Appetit cooking school. We are still very much in the planning stages but can confirm that the Owners and Vista bathrooms will get a total and remarkable re-do.

Coincidentally, insignia visited Miami 2 weeks ago and I went aboard for an inspection.

Our German friends have taken very good care of her and she looks exactly the same as she did when we handed them the keys in April. I too feared the smoking smell issue but am pleased to report that I detected none! Seems that HL's guests are as concerned about their health as we all are so very few of them smoke. In any event, we plan on installing/replacing new carpets, curtains, furniture, wallpaper, mattresses, sheets, towels, napkins etc so smoke smell, if any, will absolutely not be an issue.

Appreciate all your comments throughout the year,

FDR

Dear Pacheco18, Paulchili et al:

First of all Merry Christmas today and Happy Holidays to all.

Insignia is indeed rejoining the fleet with her "maiden European voyage" scheduled for early May 2014.

Insignia, along with Regatta and Nautica, will all be dry docked in 2014 and will all undergo extensive refurbishments. The idea of installing Baristas in the space presently occupied by the Grand Bar is under consideration as is an expanded Terrace Cafe to include a grill. We don't see a feasible way to add a Bon Appetit cooking school. We are still very much in the planning stages but can confirm that the Owners and Vista bathrooms will get a total and remarkable re-do.

Coincidentally, insignia visited Miami 2 weeks ago and I went aboard for an inspection.

Our German friends have taken very good care of her and she looks exactly the same as she did when we handed them the keys in April. I too feared the smoking smell issue but am pleased to report that I detected none! Seems that HL's guests are as concerned about their health as we all are so very few of them smoke. In any event, we plan on installing/replacing new carpets, curtains, furniture, wallpaper, mattresses, sheets, towels, napkins etc so smoke smell, if any, will absolutely not be an issue.

Appreciate all your comments throughout the year,

FDR

Thank you

Thank you

Is it too early to book?

Dear FDR:

Thank you for confirming our information that Insignia will return in 2014. She was the first Oceania vessel we sailed on way back when.

We too are thrilled to hear that you are considering installing Baristas in the Grand Bar. If I might suggest, perhaps Waves could become a grill in the evenings? This would provide an additional cooking area for dinner without losing any table space in the Terrace.

We extend to you and to all our Oceania "friends and family" our best wishes for a blessed holiday season and a very happy, healthy and successful New Year. Hoping to see you in Miami as we board Riviera on Jan. 3. We're traveling with mom Evelyn again and I know she would love to say hello.

Kindest personal regards, Marsha Meyer

Thanks for the very welcome news! Although we've traveled most on Regatta, Insignia also holds a special place in our hearts. Two of our favorite cruises were on her.

The idea of expanding Terrace so that the grill could be added is very good to hear!

Mura

Dear FDR,

That is great news indeed!

Now, how about getting rid of those clingy shower curtains :D

Thank you.

Paul - agree with you on this one! Hope you and Marsha are well. Thanks again for the tip on Chase Sapphire Preferred. Using them extensively and have our friends doing the same. Best to both of you in 2013!

Joanna

Paul - agree with you on this one! Hope you and Marsha are well. Thanks again for the tip on Chase Sapphire Preferred. Using them extensively and have our friends doing the same. Best to both of you in 2013!

Joanna

Joanna,

Thank you for your good wishes - we wish the same for you as well. Enjoy your Sapphire card :)

We are well and we are off this morning to join the Marina in Valparaiso.

Can't wait!

Paul

Archived