Options / Prices for FCO to Rome, to Civitavecchia, back to FCO

pghflyer

Excellent post, one last question.. I am considering the train options for our transfer from central Rome to Civitavecchia Port. What is the situation for luggage? Which of the two 2nd class trains would be best for luggage in terms or storage on the train and ease of use. We are not big packers (like some cruisers!), but it is a cruise and so our group of 4 will each have a large bag, plus carry on.

thanks.

I am wondering where we put our luggage on the train from Rome to the Civatavecchia port also and if pickpocket or theft is a problem there.

Can someone answer?

I am wondering where we put our luggage on the train from Rome to the Civatavecchia port also and if pickpocket or theft is a problem there.

Can someone answer?

On the regional train there are overhead bins, but for the most part larger luggage won't fit. So you end up cramming it in where ever you find room. On the train going to the port normally it's not so much of a problem, but coming back it can be a real pain (everyone is coming back at the same time)! If there's not a lot of passengers you'll see people just stacking up the luggage in the seat(s) next to them. Coming back last year at the height of tourist season several of us had to stack the luggage up at the door entrance, and then we left a family member to guard the luggage. This year though we sailed in December and almost had a train car to ourselves - plenty of room.

Pickpockets? Theft? Yes, they've been known to occur, but it's just a matter of using common sense and never leaving anything you value available or unsecured.

The biggest issue is you'll be hit up at the Termini by some very "helpful" individuals who want to provide you information and/or assist with your luggage. Just keep walking and ignore them. If you offer them a few euros for the service, they often demand a lot more.

Hi

Can anyone who has used jump limousines or rome shuttle limousine from FCO to city centre hotels let me know how their experience went? Looking to book a private car and would just like some peace of mind :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1730800&highlight=jump+limo :(

I'm interested in saving money too but I don't think I will take the chance.

We used this company in June 2012 for transport to ship from Rome and from port to airport. Pino, owner communicated directly with us by e-mail before our trip. Same driver both ways, very efficient service. As we had time on hand before heading to airport from Port, we tailored an excursion to Ostia Antica, which was awesome. I am now in process of booking company for our 2013 cruise transportation. :p

Just back and wanted to share. We booked Jump Limousine (Pino) based on recommendations from other CC people. It was a GREAT experience. He responds to e-mails promptly at all hours.

We booked 40E for a transfer from FCO to downtown Rome. Our flight got diverted back to USA mid-trip and another plane so we arrived about 10 hours late. I only had time when switching planes to send a 2 line e-mail to Pino telling him we wouldn't be there, didn't have a new arrival time, and that we didn't expect him to be able to coordinate so if we didn't see him would just take a train/ taxi. Imagine our surprise to see someone waiting there for us when we exited customs.

We also booked a transfer from Civit to FCO for a group of CC-ers. At the last minute, one of our party had to get an earlier transfer separate from our group, which Pino was able to arrange. They also were on time and prompt for our regular pickup. Was about a 45 minute drive. It was 120E for a group of 4.

Overall, great service from Jump.

A word of warning to consider about doing "group" transfers off your roll call.....I arranged for my group and had one couple need a change at the last minute (they were very nice about it and took proper care to work with Jump themselves), and then had the other of our couple not show up (waited 30 minutes for them out in the cold at 7AM), so we had a bigger, more expensive vehicle and less people to share the cost.....not to mention the wasted time, which is the whole point of a private transfer. Personally, I won't be doing shared rides in the future, not worth the hassle.

A will share a few notes about the trains in the next few days.

Just back and wanted to share. We booked Jump Limousine (Pino) based on recommendations from other CC people. It was a GREAT experience. He responds to e-mails promptly at all hours.

We booked 40E for a transfer from FCO to downtown Rome. Our flight got diverted back to USA mid-trip and another plane so we arrived about 10 hours late. I only had time when switching planes to send a 2 line e-mail to Pino telling him we wouldn't be there, didn't have a new arrival time, and that we didn't expect him to be able to coordinate so if we didn't see him would just take a train/ taxi. Imagine our surprise to see someone waiting there for us when we exited customs.

We also booked a transfer from Civit to FCO for a group of CC-ers. At the last minute, one of our party had to get an earlier transfer separate from our group, which Pino was able to arrange. They also were on time and prompt for our regular pickup. Was about a 45 minute drive. It was 120E for a group of 4.

Overall, great service from Jump.

A word of warning to consider about doing "group" transfers off your roll call.....I arranged for my group and had one couple need a change at the last minute (they were very nice about it and took proper care to work with Jump themselves), and then had the other of our couple not show up (waited 30 minutes for them out in the cold at 7AM), so we had a bigger, more expensive vehicle and less people to share the cost.....not to mention the wasted time, which is the whole point of a private transfer. Personally, I won't be doing shared rides in the future, not worth the hassle.

A will share a few notes about the trains in the next few days.

Thanks for reporting back. We have them booked for several transfers in November (FCO-Rome hotel; Rome hotel-Civitavecchia; Civitavecchia-FCO) My communication with Pino has been very prompt as well.

Some final comments on our trip.

*We stayed at the Intercontinental and it was 10E for a taxi to the Termini.

*The train tickets were 5E each for non-reserved second class to Civit. Credit card accepted in English selectable kiosk machines. My VISA (Citi) credit card wouldn't work because the machine wanted a PIN (don't have one) so I had to use my AMEX.

*Be on alert for "helpers" all over the train station offering to help you with the ticket kiosks, help you with punching your ticket at the train, and helping you distinguish between 1st and 2nd class cars.......these are all VERY easy to do on your own and they will want a tip later.

* All the Civit trains appeared to go out of Track 27/28...WAY far away at the end of the terminal (at least a solid 7-8 minute brisk walk).

* Civit train dropped off and you could be at the port entrance after walking about 10 minutes (sidewalks are wheelchair/luggage accessible) where the free shuttles are. You almost HAVE to take these because it is VERY FAR to the docks....probably 25 minute walk...also don't get scammed into buying a taxi to get you there, just wait for the free shuttle right inside the entrance.

* As I mentioned before, you can return to FCO via train at Civit if you switch at Travestere for about 7E each and the schedule is pretty frequent. If you have more than 1 big bag each, I wouldn't recommend this though.

Happy Travels!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1730800&highlight=jump+limo :(

I'm interested in saving money too but I don't think I will take the chance.

I just took them off my list after reading this experience. Not good & don't want to be sitting in a strange country where I do not speak the language hoping I might get where I am going!:eek:

One other tip I neglected to mention WRT Civitavecchia when you arrive back. The private transfers/ taxis pick you up right outside the exit of the customs building (the same area where you checked-in), the same place where the NCL transfer buses will be sitting. Do NOT take the shuttle out to the Port entrance to meet your ride or you will miss it. Turns out, this was where the other part of my group had gone to meet our car, which is why we never found them.

We have used romelimousineplus in the past and are using them in Sept. They use paypal and also give discounts for CC and Tripadvisor members.Very reliable,reasonable, and have very nice vehicles! Have always been the lowest price,:)

• 2 months later...

pghflyer,

I too would like to thank you for all that wonderful information. We are just in the process of organizing our trip to Rome plus cruise for October and as it is quite a few years since we were last there (2003) it was great to receive up to date information.

Jennie

• 3 weeks later...
Could you post their website please. We have a 11:50am flight. Were they punctual and waiting at the pier? How long does it take from pier to airport?

What is meant by multiple bookings?

We used them this past summer. We got a discount for multiple bookings. We used them for FCO to Rome Hotel, Hotel to Ship, Ship to Hotel and then Hotel to FCO. There were 5 of us also. FANTASTIC service. Punctual, waiting with a sign with our name and the fastest service possible.

PGHFLYER, I also want to thank you for starting this thread and the wonderful information you and others have provided. It is proving to be a great resource for our fall trip to Rome....once again thanks.:)

Their website is http://www.romeinlimo.com/. Jany is the absolute best to work with. She is so responsive that I questioned the guide is she was just one person. I think she works all the time.

We had a 11:50am flight too. We had said wait at pier for us to disembark at 8am. We were able to get off early about 7:25am and they were there waiting early. Whisked us off to the airport quickly. I think it took about 50 min. but I really can't remember exactly. What took the longest was getting through Terminal 5 since we were flying US Air.

We had several different bookings with them for our party of 9. They picked us up at the airport and took us to our apartment for our pre-cruise Rome stay; they arranged for a guide to meet us at the Vatican museum for our 6 hr. tour of the Vatican museum and St. Peters; we arranged an all day 12 hour tour to go to Pompeii/Sorrento/Herculaneum since our cruise did not stop there and we wanted to go there; and they also arranged transportation from apartment to ship with a detour to Castello de Odescalchi at Bracciano before delivering to the check-in tent at the ship for embarkation.

We were VERY pleased. Always professional, prompt and great to work with. All the drivers were wonderful and helpful.

Not sure if you are still checking this, but I was curious about your Pompeii/Sorrento Tour. How was that? We are considering doing it post cruise from the port.

Thanks

Archived