Mens dress code

laceydog

First time on celebrity so just making sure we have this right. It is appropriate for men to wear a tux or suit on formal nights. What is worn on the other nights? Smart casual? Would it be okay to wear a button down floral shirt for these nights? By the way, I am talking about dining in the MDR.

First time on celebrity so just making sure we have this right. It is appropriate for men to wear a tux or suit on formal nights. What is worn on the other nights? Smart casual? Would it be okay to wear a button down floral shirt for these nights? By the way, I am talking about dining in the MDR.

On formal nights a suit or tux is the recommended attire. The rest of the evenings are smart casual. By button down floral shirt do you mean a Hawaiian style shirt? I have seen a few men wear them on smart casual nights. You haven't received many replies as this subject truly has been discussed many many times. Just use the search feature and type in dress code, pop some pop corn and read away. Enjoy your cruise.

Tux on formal night and hawaiian shirt for casual is perfectly acceptable.

My rule is that as long as the shirt has a collar and sleeves then it is acceptable.

No t-shirts and no Larry the Cable guy shirts with collar but sleeves removed :D

Tux on formal night and hawaiian shirt for casual is perfectly acceptable.

My rule is that as long as the shirt has a collar and sleeves then it is acceptable.

No t-shirts and no Larry the Cable guy shirts with collar but sleeves removed :D

Just to clarify, short sleeves are perfectly acceptable according to Celebrity....

Yes, providing they reach the elbow.

Really? I guess I missed that part of dress code on Celebrity's site :)

None of my husband's shirts for smart casual nights have elbow length sleeves, they are either short (like a golf or polo shirt) or long... curious as to where you read this??

Really? I guess I missed that part of dress code on Celebrity's site :)

None of my husband's shirts for smart casual nights have elbow length sleeves, they are either short (like a golf or polo shirt) or long... curious as to where you read this??

You are absolutely correct, no idea where the elbow thing came from...

You are absolutely correct, no idea where the elbow thing came from...

Probably because the clothes police like to make up their own rules.;)

Hey, Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat...nothin' up my ELBOW LENGTH SLEEVE... PRESTO! :eek: :p

And now here's something we hope you'll REALLY like... :D :rolleyes:

Probably because the clothes police like to make up their own rules.;)

As do the clothes criminals..works both ways...Sorry, but I resent the clothes police comment since I was a Police Officer for 3o years and the job did not involve telling people what to wear, it was much more serious...

As do the clothes criminals..works both ways...Sorry, but I resent the clothes police comment since I was a Police Officer for 3o years and the job did not involve telling people what to wear, it was much more serious...

Like :) We don't do formal nights, but we don't break the rules either... it's pretty easy to avoid the MDR on formal nights, (or, conversely, dress up & eat in the MDR if that's your thing :) ) no need for name calling here.

& thanks for your service!

Thank you for your 30 years of service. My son-in-law is in his 2nd year as an officer, so I appreciate the sacrifices you made!:)

WOW! How did the OP's innocent question go so awry?

As someone who has been researching booking Celebrity for the first time, I was interested in the answer to the OP's question. Next thing you know I'm reading about exposed elbows and a police comment getting taking too seriously! Lighten up folks!

WOW! How did the OP's innocent question go so awry?

As someone who has been researching booking Celebrity for the first time, I was interested in the answer to the OP's question. Next thing you know I'm reading about exposed elbows and a police comment getting taking too seriously! Lighten up folks!

Because that is the way dress code threads go on all the boards on Cruise Critic.

The question is usually answered in the first couple of posts which it was in this thread. Posters then give their own personal opinion which are not always accurate such as the elbow comment and it goes on from there.

The dress code is really quite simple and is on the web site, unfortunately it get screwed up because people interpret it different ways, apply the old dress code and very often Celebrity doesn't enforce it.

Here's the dress code..

Examples of "Smart Casual & Above" attire include:

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Examples of "Formal" attire include:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or dressy pantsuit.

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit, or dinner jacket with slacks.

As you can see the dress code for smart casual is simple, pants and a shirt with sleeves. Just because someone will probably bring it up, jeans are now permissable.

The sleeves don't need to be elbow length.

I'm pretty sure the elbow thing was a joke referring to the Larry the Cable guy type shirts with the sleeves shortened or removed.

larrythecableguyhealthinspector.gif

You are correct. Sadly, some folks have difficulties with a wee bit of humor.

I checked with Celebrity regarding formal night attire for men. My husband has no problem wearing a dress shirt, sports coat and nice trousers but hates to wear a tie. They told me that he would be just fine in that attire.

You will probably not have a problem but just a word of caution, Celebrity's phone customer service is very often wrong.

• 3 weeks later...
I checked with Celebrity regarding formal night attire for men. My husband has no problem wearing a dress shirt, sports coat and nice trousers but hates to wear a tie. They told me that he would be just fine in that attire.

Although I own and wear ties, I despise them and certainly would never don one on a Caribbean cruise. I have sailed numerous times with 'X' and have never worn a tie. I've never received a comment or a second look.

Mind you, I do wear a jacket - nice shirt.

Archived