Some Basic Questions

dvan68

We have mostly Carnival experience, but are considering HAL. We prefer aft cabins, and are looking at either the Eurodam or Nieuw Amsterstam.

- Do the aft cabin balconies get deeper (larger) as you move up in the decks - or are the deepest on deck 4?

- Can anyone speak to the noise level of the Deck 4 aft cabins, since they are above the dining room? We are mostly concerned about the mornings

- What beverages are served for free on the Lido buffet?

- If it is formal night, I understand that it would not be enforced for the Lido Buffet - is it enforced in the other alternative dining locations? Is there a separate dress code for the alternative dining locations?

Thank you in advance for all of your help!

We have mostly Carnival experience, but are considering HAL. We prefer aft cabins, and are looking at either the Eurodam or Nieuw Amsterstam.

- Do the aft cabin balconies get deeper (larger) as you move up in the decks - or are the deepest on deck 4?

- Can anyone speak to the noise level of the Deck 4 aft cabins, since they are above the dining room? We are mostly concerned about the mornings

- If it is formal night, I understand that it would not be enforced for the Lido Buffet - is it enforced in the other alternative dining locations? Is there a separate dress code for the alternative dining locations?

Most people dress a notch up when dining in Pinnacle rather than taking the dress code down. We are expected to follow the dress code for Pinnalce, Tamaraind and MDR. There is more leniency in Canaletto seeing it is a section of Lido.

Ice Tea, Ice Water, Coffee and Tea are no charge beverages in Lido and around the ship.

On formal nights -- the main dining room, Pinnacle Grill and Tamarind (if you are on a Signature class ship) will all be formal.

On formal nights the Lido Buffet will be casual (all types of dress attire here) and Canaletto will be smart casual.

Lido buffet -- breakfast, lunch and dinner - free coffee, tea, water, maybe a fruit punch machine, milk. At breakfast there are lots of different juices. You can ask for juices at lunch and dinner and if they are not too busy, they will get it for you.

We do not do aft cabins so I can not help you there.

I don't recall anyone speaking about noise on their aft balcony cabin. We have several fans on the board - hopefully they will join in and help you out here.

Sail has pointed out the free beverages in the Lido (not to mention that you can bring on all the soda, wine and water you want for consumption in your stateroom). As to formal night - you can dress casually in the Lido and Canaletto without a problem (although you may see some dressed up).

For the 2 other alternate dining rooms - the Pinnacle & the Tamarind - dress code will apply - so on formal nights - yes, you should be dressed accordingly in those two restaurants.:)

I know they are deepest on Deck 4 and gradually get smaller going up...on the Noordam. Someone who has been on the other two will weigh in I am sure. We've done staterooms on the stern several times and the only annoyance was soot that ended up on our verandah.

Lido complimentary beverages: Iced tea, Hot tea, coffee, milk, and a variety of juices.

Whether the dress code is enforced or not varies from ship to ship, from Dining Room Manager to Dining Room Manager. The Lido and/or In Room Dining is available for those who do not want to dress up.

In our experience, most people do abide by the code on Formal Nights. Men in either tuxes, dark suits, or a blazer and slacks. We fly so the latter is what my DH now does...rather than pack his suit, he wears the blazer on the plane. Women usually dress nicely with cocktail dresses (even gowns), dressy top with dressy slacks or a skirt.

• 2 weeks later...
I have been in an aft cabin on deck 4 and I never heard any noise from the dining room. Now, I will say that the aft cabins are noisier than the mid-ship cabins just due to the propulsion system when you are underway. There can be significant vibrations when cruising at higher speeds and I have noticed a lot more squeaks and rattles in the aft cabins as well as a constant low frequency drone from the propellers. It's never bothered me, but I can see how some people might be annoyed by it.

Being from New York I did not get a very New York feel on the Nieuw Amsterdam. :)

That is SO interesting you say that Peter as I felt nothing from Nieuw Amsterdam at all. Some ships seem alive to me, they have a 'feel'....... for both DH and me, Nieuw Amsterdam did not have any feeling at all.

This, of course, is such a personal, individual thing it means nothing to anyone but us but some ships 'speak to us'. Nieuw Amsterdam was silent. However, we felt differently about Eurodam and were happy aboard her and when we thought we'd only sail her the once out of curiousity to see HAL's newest (at the time) ship, we have sailed her five cruises and will go again without hesitation.

(I know there are some here who will have no idea what I mean but there are others who will 'get it'. It's how one feels about ships in general, I think. No right or wrong, just personal.)

That is SO interesting you say that Peter as I felt nothing from Nieuw Amsterdam at all. Some ships seem alive to me, they have a 'feel'....... for both DH and me, Nieuw Amsterdam did not have any feeling at all.

This, of course, is such a personal, individual thing it means nothing to anyone but us but some ships 'speak to us'. Nieuw Amsterdam was silent. However, we felt differently about Eurodam and were happy aboard her and when we thought we'd only sail her the once out of curiousity to see HAL's newest (at the time) ship, we have sailed her five cruises and will go again without hesitation.

(I know there are some here who will have no idea what I mean but there are others who will 'get it'. It's how one feels about ships in general, I think. No right or wrong, just personal.)

Sail- I completely get what you said about the NA. Even though I only have that one cruise under my belt I couldn't have said it better. We loved our cruise but I did notice there wasn't a lot of feedback from the crew-they did their jobs and did them well but I didn't sense a vibe or personality that defined the ship. I chalked it up to many things-new ship, we kept to ourselves, older demographic, port intensive etc.

I haven't seen any 'following' on this board for the NA like the Noordam,Westerdam or Prinsendam who seem to have bigger personalities.

We are sailing on the Eurodam in Feb and I am looking forward to seeing how things feel and if they are different.

Sail- I completely get what you said about the NA. Even though I only have that one cruise under my belt I couldn't have said it better. We loved our cruise but I did notice there wasn't a lot of feedback from the crew-they did their jobs and did them well but I didn't sense a vibe or personality that defined the ship. I chalked it up to many things-new ship, we kept to ourselves, older demographic, port intensive etc.

I haven't seen any 'following' on this board for the NA like the Noordam,Westerdam or Prinsendam who seem to have bigger personalities.

We are sailing on the Eurodam in Feb and I am looking forward to seeing how things feel and if they are different.

Hope you enjoy your Eurodam cruise. We truly enjoyed ours.

AND, don't forget the beautiful Maasdam. THAT is a ship with personality! :)

Hope you enjoy your Eurodam cruise. We truly enjoyed ours.

AND, don't forget the beautiful Maasdam. THAT is a ship with personality! :)

Thanks, we are very excited! When I read about all of those special ships it makes me want to try them. I really like the Westerdam and her rep for being the tootiest ship in the fleet, just that alone makes me want to sail her.

Happily and sadly we are looking at Viking, Fjords and Ireland for our next cruise which means another Eurodam cruise. I really think we will like the Eurodam but a part of me hoped that we'd get to experience a different ship for the next one. Isn't that a terrible thing to say?

Thanks everyone for the feedback - I am still wondering if there are balcony size differences for the aft balconies for the different decks on the Eurodam/Nieuw Amsterdam? It seems like some additional cabins have opened, and I want to make the most educated choice.

Thank you!

Regarding the Formal night. Just cruised three weeks on the Ryndam and on formal nights there were people in Polo Shirts, shorts and open sandals !!!!!!! Just what is the point of HAL saying Formal and letting people into the dining room dressed for round the pool.

First time with HAL, we cruise with UK lines and I can say that near 30% of people on the HAL Formal night would have been turned away from the MDR on some UK lines. Not looking for an argument on Dress Code just thought people may be interested.

Thanks everyone for the feedback - I am still wondering if there are balcony size differences for the aft balconies for the different decks on the Eurodam/Nieuw Amsterdam? It seems like some additional cabins have opened, and I want to make the most educated choice.

Thank you!

Sorry, I did not see your post when you first posted it.....

I maintain, on my own personal web site, thanks to CC members, photos and descriptions of many of the various staterooms on HAL's Ships. I have some info and photos for you and will give the links below directly to the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam.

First off Standard info about the Verandahs:

The standard Verandah/Balcony is 6 feet deep by 9 feet wide. VA aft/stern Verandah/Balcony are deeper (how much depends on which deck, and Vista class versus Signature class). VD are 7.5 feet deep. VF and VE on Vista Class ships, Noordam, Oosterdam, Westerdam and Zuiderdam, Verandah deck are only 4.5 feet deep. As of this time I do not have much information on the Verandah/Balcony sizes of the PS, SA, SB, SC or SY categories Staterooms.

The exception to the Verandah sizes above are on the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam Staterooms VD 4166 & VD 4168 which have 18 ft wide verandahs (due to an inside stairway between the 2 staterooms.)

Eurodam & Nieuw Amsterdam:

The info following is for SC Aft Wrap Staterooms (BUT, I am using the info to show that yes, the staterooms and verandahs do tier smaller as you go higher.)

SC 4176 and SC 4181: Balcony is 312 sq. ft. & Stateroom is 374.4 sq. ft. for a grand total of 686.4 sq. ft.

SC 5186 and SC 5187: Balcony is 298 sq. ft. & Stateroom is 331.8 sq. ft. for a grand total of 629.8 sq. ft.

The same info would be almost (if not exactly) the same for the Nieuw Amsterdam since she is a sister ship to Eurodam.

So what I believe, from looking at my stateroom (6164) and the description given by other CC members of the aft decks 6-8 are slightly less than deck 4 and 5. Just as an FYI, on 3 of the Vista ships, Deck 5 afts are the largest of the aft decks. Just thought I'd throw that in just in case you decide on a Vista class instead or for future reference:)

Each deck does seem to step down a little the higher you go, As does the coverage from the deck above, except for deck 8 which has almost 2/3 coverage from the Lido Deck above.

The link to the Eurodam is: http://abqreunion2008.com/Eurodam/index.html

And to the Nieuw Amsterdam is:

http://abqreunion2008.com/Nieuw_Amsterdam/index.html

I took photos looking up above me and photos of the decks below me to show the differences and how much/or how little is visible from the decks above and below SC 6164 about 2/3 of the way down the page http://abqreunion2008.com/Nieuw_Amsterdam/Deck-6.html

It may help you also to look at the stern of the Nieuw Amsterdam from photos that I took specifically to show the tiered look: http://abqreunion2008.com/Nieuw_Amsterdam/Ship-Views.html

I hope this is the info you are seeking. If I can be of any assistance, just holler at me:)

Joanie

I much preferred the decor on the Eurodam. It was classic HAL. The Niew Amsterdam was full of pop-art, which is not to my taste. I just don't see Lada Gaga and District 9 posters as belonging on a HAL ship. That's just my 2 cents.

There are pictures of Lady Gaga and District 9 on NA?!

sail: yes, yes yes. i LOVE the maasdam; it does 'speak' to me. i don't know why. i mean there are three similar/identical ships, and i've sailed on all of them. and they rotate staff, crew, and officers. but, once, a couple of years ago, i overheard some 'fugitives' from other lines sitting out on the lido aft, describe maasdam as 'a rusty old tub.' i kept quiet, which, as you know, is not my style, but i did want to say something. that old maasdam has special memories for me -- all good, well at least mostly. when i come to my cabin on maasdam, i feel like i'm coming to my second home. when she's gone to the breakers, which, sadly, may be sooner rather than later, i'll feel like my cruising life has been diminished in a big way. same for the noordam and perhaps the zaandam. these ships are just 'materials,' but it is strange how they 'speak' to us.

btw, i am a former professional musician, and, believe me, certain instruments 'speak' to us; and not others. some are partners, some just cooperate, and others can be enemies. that is why we try out many, many instruments before we buy one. we wait for one that 'speaks' to us; and they 'speak' the word, 'yes, i'm yours.' love?

Archived