What happens if someone can't go last minute?

CPA92

I have three of us in an interior cabin on the Liberty leaving in three weeks. What happens if one of us can't go last minute? I know the person wouldn't get their money back, but what about the other two? Any additional costs? Do I need to contact RCI? This is a decision that will be made last minute, the day before sailing. ( Long story. Not me. I'm going, but one of my traveling companions might not be going)

Thanks

I have three of us in an interior cabin on the Liberty leaving in three weeks. What happens if one of us can't go last minute? I know the person wouldn't get their money back, but what about the other two? Any additional costs? Do I need to contact RCI? This is a decision that will be made last minute, the day before sailing. ( Long story. Not me. I'm going, but one of my traveling companions might not be going)

Thanks

I have no idea, but, I would just go without saying anything.

I am sure that happens because people can't go at the last minute, or they are just late and miss the ship.

Thanks

No additional costs, and the person who cancelled should at least get their taxes and prepaid gratuities (if any) refunded.

I have no idea, but, I would just go without saying anything.

I am sure that happens because people can't go at the last minute, or they are just late and miss the ship.

If they just don't show, the one not showing will lose all their money, if they cancel they may get some taxes/port charges refunded to them.

Is it too late to buy insurance? I know my TA offers it up until like, 3 days before the cruise.

Yes, its too late to buy insurance. What a scam that would be if you could.

Depending on exactly how last minute (the day before would probably be too late) there is always the possibility of bringing someone else in their place for free! Your friend will lose their money because the cancelation will be too last minute for a refund, but you can do a name change I believe up to 72 hours before sailing (someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that) and the new person could go instead. I'm sure you may have many volunteers....probably many from this board alone! ;)

Enjoy your cruise!

Is it too late to buy insurance? I know my TA offers it up until like, 3 days before the cruise.

While you can purchase insurance last minute, you cannot have it cover a per-existing situation - it would only cover new, unforeseen events that transpire after the insurance is purchased.

Even if it's last minute I'd let them know at boarding that the person isn't going. This is because, up the Captains disscretion, he can choose to wait a half an hour for more for passenger's.

It would nice not to have to wait you know they are not coming. Hope it works out for you all.

Even if it's last minute I'd let them know at boarding that the person isn't going. This is because, up the Captains disscretion, he can choose to wait a half an hour for more for passenger's.

It would nice not to have to wait you know they are not coming. Hope it works out for you all.

I am not doubting you, however, if the guest log has to be handed in to homeland security 90 minutes prior to sailing, how would the captain wait for anyone past embarkation time since it is now in the hands of homeland security?

Maybe I could see this happening if the port knew that a plane with 100 passengers was being delayed, but, still the cruise line and homeland security would have to agree to move back the embarkation. I do not see this happening if one person has not arrived.

I've read on these boards that people have been denied boarding because the primary on their reservation did not show or all people in the cabin did not show at the same time and they had to wait. This might be a cruise line specific rule. If I were the original poster, I would check with the cruise line ahead of time. I am probably wrong, but it is worth the call.

A friend of mine wasn't able to go last minute on the Majesty last September. We didn't say anything - but one night in the dance club, they called my friend's (the one who was sharing a room with the girl who didn't show up) name over the speaker and we had to leave the club to be questioned about where she was. They didn't make a big deal about it, but I was SO nervous for my friend when they called her name. I thought it might be a family emergency or something...

A friend of mine wasn't able to go last minute on the Majesty last September. We didn't say anything - but one night in the dance club, they called my friend's (the one who was sharing a room with the girl who didn't show up) name over the speaker and we had to leave the club to be questioned about where she was. They didn't make a big deal about it, but I was SO nervous for my friend when they called her name. I thought it might be a family emergency or something...

That's odd that they would call the name of someone who had not even checked in for the cruise.

Cruised with Holland America last summer out of Vancouver (Canada) to Alaska.

The day before we left, my hubby couldn't make it.

We did not inform the cruiseline ahead of time (I was still holding out hope).

There were 4 of us booked in a quad cabin. THANK GOODNESS he couldn't come. It would have been mighty squishy with our 2 teenage daughters. (our next cruise, I've booked 2 rooms!)

Anyways ... When we went to board, I informed the check in clerk that he was not with us. She made a bit of a fuss. Said that the person on the Credit Card for the room HAD to be on board ship.

(I had used MY credit card for our onboard account ...)

I handed her my card. The # matched the one on the account. (duh). She was a bit confused and asked me "is your credit card # the same as his?"

I just blankly responded "yes" (really, what does it matter?)

So, she let us on board.

I let our stewards know that he wasn't coming with us (I'm sure they were disappointed in the 1 less tip they'd be getting).

For the Muster Drill, they called out our 4 names and we tried to make ourselves look like a group of 4 people instead of 3. Obviously their "customer" lists were not updated.

We did not get a refund on any of his portion. Which was fine. Didn't expect a refund - it was a last minute no-show.

The PROBLEM came when we docked back in Vancouver (we are Canadian). The border guard wanted to know where my husband was. Why did he not go on the ship? Did I have a notorized letter from him stating I could take the "kids" out of the country (bare in mind, our kids are in their late teens and can speak for themselves ... they aren't toddlers). I basically responded with "we're coming BACK to him, not going away from him" yeesh.

(in the past, when the kids were younger, I have had a notorized letter for when we've flown to vacation in the USA without my husband ... I always joke, someone has to stay home and work so we can go on trips! - but it never even dawned on me to get a letter this trip 'round. there were no flights involved and the kids are older)

Okay, let me explain this again. :)

My friend - let's call her A - couldn't make it last minute. My friend - let's call her M - was supposed to room with her. M ended up being in a room by herself. A never checked in. At the club, they called M's name and questioned her about the whereabouts of A. M told them that A couldn't make it last minute. They said okay. That was it.

I hope that explains it better!

Archived