HAL vs Oceania

Princess Jessie

HI All,

We are considering our first cruise on Oceania... We have cruised once on NCL (our first) - regular verandah, then twice on Princess - mini suite, once on Celebrity - Concierge Class and now twice on HAL in Dlxe Verandah Suite.

We are British, so maybe our perceptions are slightly different... but we absolutely adore HAL... the Dlxe V Suite is huge... larger than most hotel rooms... they provide a 14 hr or so Concierge Lounge with snacks according to the time of day... (we had breakfast there every day as considered it quite ample choice for us).. free unlmtd laundry if you stay in a suite..

We have just put a deposit down on another HAL cruise, but very close friends of ours are trying to persuade us to go on Oceania. They have never been on HAL so cannot compare. Apart from the obvious difference such as size of ships.. although HAL does have smaller ships... we havent been on them...

I would really appreciate people's opinions of once vs the other... and particularly in relation to the facilities available and size of stateroom comparing a HAL Dlxe V Suite to the Oceania Penthouse Suite which seems to me to be the direct comparison.

Cost wise they seem on a par... I have already noticed that in the Oceania bathroom there is only one sink as opposed to two, and there is no separate dressing room although they have a walk in wardrobe.

Alsthough these things are not necessarily important individually, i would like to know what other differences there are.

We are not foodies, so are rarely critical of food, we do NOT like the formal nights, and we do not smoke.. we are also in our early 50's.. and we appreciate that the demographics of both HAL and Oceania if you travel outside of the holiday season, is going to be of a much older age group.

For some reason, HAL are not highly promoted here in the UK, and Celebrity is the line that is pushed and advertised. We were very disappointed in Celebrity, and we are not comparing the size of the stateroom. But the general attitude of staff and the service received we felt was very poor.

Looking forward to hearing peoples views....

HI All,

We are considering our first cruise on Oceania... We have cruised once on NCL (our first) - regular verandah, then twice on Princess - mini suite, once on Celebrity - Concierge Class and now twice on HAL in Dlxe Verandah Suite.

We are British, so maybe our perceptions are slightly different... but we absolutely adore HAL... the Dlxe V Suite is huge... larger than most hotel rooms... they provide a 14 hr or so Concierge Lounge with snacks according to the time of day... (we had breakfast there every day as considered it quite ample choice for us).. free unlmtd laundry if you stay in a suite..

We have just put a deposit down on another HAL cruise, but very close friends of ours are trying to persuade us to go on Oceania. They have never been on HAL so cannot compare. Apart from the obvious difference such as size of ships.. although HAL does have smaller ships... we havent been on them...

I would really appreciate people's opinions of once vs the other... and particularly in relation to the facilities available and size of stateroom comparing a HAL Dlxe V Suite to the Oceania Penthouse Suite which seems to me to be the direct comparison.

Cost wise they seem on a par... I have already noticed that in the Oceania bathroom there is only one sink as opposed to two, and there is no separate dressing room although they have a walk in wardrobe.

Alsthough these things are not necessarily important individually, i would like to know what other differences there are.

We are not foodies, so are rarely critical of food, we do NOT like the formal nights, and we do not smoke.. we are also in our early 50's.. and we appreciate that the demographics of both HAL and Oceania if you travel outside of the holiday season, is going to be of a much older age group.

For some reason, HAL are not highly promoted here in the UK, and Celebrity is the line that is pushed and advertised. We were very disappointed in Celebrity, and we are not comparing the size of the stateroom. But the general attitude of staff and the service received we felt was very poor.

Looking forward to hearing peoples views....

Well I will be looking forward to this thread and see what is said. if you haven't you might want to post this on the Oceania board as well, recognizing that there will be cheerleaders on both boards.

The Oceania board reports that the food is better (food is subjective of course). Celebrity is pushed by a lot of TA's - I don't know why - we weren't impressed either.

I don't believe Oceania permits any beverages at all to be brought on board. Not a biggie to some, but it can be to others.

I don't know if it impacts you but I have read that their shore excursions are quite pricey.

Haven't sailed them (yet) just going by what I have read on the Oceania board.

I have no idea because we've never sailed on Oceania. However, in reading their catalogues that I get in the mail, they seem considerably more pricey than HAL.

Or, perhaps the 2 for 1 fares and their airline promotions make up for that :confused:

I believe all their evenings are Smart Casual...on our upcoming cruise, we have four Formal nights and 10 Smart Casual. Having said that, over the past few years, we've noticed that many are not doing the Formal thing.

Dressing very nicely but not what can be considered "Formal".

As Jacqui said, I, too, think the best thing for you would be to read the Oceania board and try to get a"feel" for the cruising experience onboard.

Love your name, Princess Jessie. Our Norwich Terrier is named Jessie!

I have travelled on Oceania and also on one of the sister ships when they were Renaissance. To me the size of the ships are perfect, when you meet people you get to see them again. I really enjoy the open seat dining and casual attire. The only drawback compared with HAL is the size of the cabins. To me the real choice is the itinerary, that is what helps me select which cruise line and ship to go on. I am allways looking to do something different.

I have been on both Oceania and HAL. I like them both. Oceania in general has better food, but it varies from ship to ship just like HAL. The buffet on Oceania is more varied and has more help than HAL. No need to forage for your own beverage, for instance. There is always someone to bring you coffee and juice at breakfast. And water is poured when you sit down.

I have never been in a suite on Oceania. Their standard cabins are very similar to HAL, but a tiny bit smaller and with a different closet configuration that is not as nice as HAL.

I love the "no smoking" and no formal nights aspect of Oceania a lot. And no photographers and no art auction nonsense. It all makes for a different atmosphere in the public areas. And their special restaurants do not cost anything extra.

But overall I love HAL best. The staff may not be as plentiful, but they are more pleasant and friendly. And now that they have anytime dining, the issue of having to be at the dining room every day at the same time to face the same table mates is in the past. I will continue to traval on both, but HAL will be higher on the list.

Hi Everyone...

It does seem to me that the "jury is out" on this subject.

We are not drinkers so the aspect of bringing on drink or not does not affect us...

I like the fact from what i've read that there are no photographers (we never posed) no art auctions (we never went) on Oceania... I am disturbed on HAL that the brief by the pool is for the waiters to constantly try to push drinks, and if all you want is water they quite distinctly turn up their noses... but.. thankfully, I am quite capable of getting up off my sun bed and getting my own water so that's how we dealt with that..

But.. we loved our suite stateroom on HAL.. very spacious.. the neptune lounge with the concierge is a real plus... seems that suites on Oceania appear to have something similar... hopefully someone can comment on that...

We did not have any complaints re food... we ate in the MDR apart from once in the Italian Canaletto.. which now HAL charge for... $10 per pers.. that is quite annoying and I would think twice before booking as the choice in the MDR is really good.

We only choose anytime dining.. so that appears to match with Oceania...

I agree with RaySan11 about itineraries... and the HAL cruise we are holiding but now "wavering" is the Viking Passage which is Ams to Nyc... via Norwegian Fjords, Iceland, Greenland and Nthern Canada...

HAL are the only ones to do exactly that routing.. Princess does similar, but I do not want to go back to the masses of Princess..

Any other input from anyone would be great, and I have posted on the Oceania board too!

Lastly Princess Jessie is because of my little black poodle who is sadly no longer with us, but she was indeed a Princess!!!

My name is Chantal!!

I'm also from the Uk, and we have done 2 Oceania cruises on the Insignia, but only in a standard veranda cabin. For me if I was comparing a standard veranda on both lines, Oceania would come out just ahead. We prefer the smaller ship, the food and the entertainment. The service varies, I would say the are both generally good but have the odd problem.

We found the passenger demographic slightly younger on Oceania, and more mixed nationalities (less North American than HAL) I particularly love the 2 speciality restaurant on Insignia, Toscana and the Polo Grill.

However I have once had a SC suite on HAL, and that would get my top vote, for the huge balcony, and the Neptune lounge.

I would give Oceania a try, even if you don't like it as much, I doubt you would hate it.

I have been on the Statendam, Oceania's Regatta and their new Riviera. There are many things I like about ships like the Statendam, for example the promenade deck. However, the food on both the Regatta and the Riviera was FAR better. With Oceania, it does not depend on the ship. Food is a main focus all throughout the line.

I sure hope that the executive chef of our upcoming cruise on the Veendam remembers to buy and properly use spices. On the Statendam, the food was very bland.

We had the same cabin category on all three ships. (balcony)The Riviera had the best and most elegant bathroom and the most comfortable bed. The cabin on the Statendam was slightly deeper which allowed for a longer couch. Since she is an older ship, electric outlets were rare. The one for the hairdryer was underneath the desk if I remember correctly.

I would have loved to take our next cruise on an Oceania ship, but timing, price and itinerary steered us to the Veendam.

We sailed last year on the Marina. She is a beautiful ship and we were in a Concierge level cabin. We had a lounge similar to the Neptune Lounge but you had access later which was nice. On HAL, we stayed in a Deluxe Veranda which was much more spacious than our Oceania accommodations. We can't afford Penthouse level so I can't comment.

As far as food, Oceania wins hands down. You have many more options, quality is better and more varied. I sent fish back 3 times on HAL as just being bad. Fortunately, my second choice was better and we never had any issue in sending back entrees. I don't want to bash HAL by any means because the food was good and presentation spot on. Oceania was just better and the lack of formal nights was nice.

Service throughout both cruses was very good on both lines. There was no advantage by either line. Very courteous and professional.

Excursions were way overpriced on Oceania to the point that I felt they were gouging. They used the same vendors as the mass marketing lines but put a high premium of them without any benefit.

Passenger mix varies. Both cater to an older crowd but I found HAL to be more to my liking. I never saw so many old people complaining constantly about nonsense as I did on Oceania. Oceania tries to cater to a more wealthy demographic but that doesn't mean a nicer crowd.

I prefer the size of Oceania ships over HAL but appreciate the fact that HAL does not have the megaships of other mass market lines. This to me is a strong point for both. I enjoy both lines. If I were spending the same per cabin, I would take Oceania because of such niceties such as butler service and a higher overall experience.

Oceania has sodas and water, gourmet coffees, all at no charge. You may also bring on any beverages you wish.

HAL has room service full breakfast for any class cabin. Oceania provides a continental style room service breakfast for inside and ocean view cabins.

We have enjoyed both lines, but now would choose Oceania overall.

Karen

I have only sailed HAL, but my Mom has sailed both lines. From her impression on Oceania, she didn't feel she got the extra money's worth. I don't have the specifics, but she thought it was a nice line, but would be returning to HAL on her next cruise.

Oceania provides a continental style room service breakfast for inside and ocean view cabins.
Oceania also only provides a continental (cold) breakfast to passengers in verandah cabins. Those passengers in concierge cabins, and higher, can order a hot breakfast in their cabins.

Oceania also limits the number of reservations one can prebook in the (included) speciality restaurants. The number goes down as the cabin category goes down. On HAL anyone can make as many reservations as they wish - but you have to pay for them when you prebook them.

We have sailed both Oceania and HAL. Cabins are larger on HAL.

Food is better on Oceania. Service is excellent on both.

There is no extra charge at specialty restaurants on Oceania.

There are no formal nights on Oceania.

All dining is open seating, no assigned times or tables. Shared seating is encouraged but not obligatory.

We sailed last year on the Marina. She is a beautiful ship and we were in a Concierge level cabin. We had a lounge similar to the Neptune Lounge but you had access later which was nice. On HAL, we stayed in a Deluxe Veranda which was much more spacious than our Oceania accommodations. We can't afford Penthouse level so I can't comment.

As far as food, Oceania wins hands down. You have many more options, quality is better and more varied. I sent fish back 3 times on HAL as just being bad. Fortunately, my second choice was better and we never had any issue in sending back entrees. I don't want to bash HAL by any means because the food was good and presentation spot on. Oceania was just better and the lack of formal nights was nice.

Service throughout both cruses was very good on both lines. There was no advantage by either line. Very courteous and professional.

Excursions were way overpriced on Oceania to the point that I felt they were gouging. They used the same vendors as the mass marketing lines but put a high premium of them without any benefit.

Passenger mix varies. Both cater to an older crowd but I found HAL to be more to my liking. I never saw so many old people complaining constantly about nonsense as I did on Oceania. Oceania tries to cater to a more wealthy demographic but that doesn't mean a nicer crowd.

I prefer the size of Oceania ships over HAL but appreciate the fact that HAL does not have the megaships of other mass market lines. This to me is a strong point for both. I enjoy both lines. If I were spending the same per cabin, I would take Oceania because of such niceties such as butler service and a higher overall experience.

I hope you come back to this thread - I am trying to figure out what the butler does? It sounds like reservations for specialty dining, room service? since op stays in deluxe verandas I suspect the concierge in the Neptune Lounge does some of the services of the butler and the cabin stewards/room service does the remainder on HAL? Are there other advantages to the butler please? (hopefully helpful to the OP, myself and others. thanks:D

Are there other advantages to the butler please? (hopefully helpful to the OP, myself and others. thanks:D
Yes, the butler does more on Oceania than what the Neptune Lounge concierges provide. The Oceania website has the information for those interested enough to look there. I don't remember everything, but one service someone here is looking forward to is the unpacking and packing service.

I have been on many HAL cruises (Eurodam, Westerdam, Noordam, going on Zuiderdam this year) and have been on the Oceania Marina in a Penthouse Suite. My advice is--GO!

The food is beyond incredible (we are foodies!) and it was by far the best we've had on any cruise (we've also been on Queen Mary--Grill Class, Regent and Celebrity). The restaurant choices are wonderful--we enjoyed them all, especially Red Ginger...I still dream about the Lobster Pad Thai.

It's hard to compare apples to apples between Oceania and HAL, because a Deluxe Verandah Suite on HAL is a lot less expensive than a Penthouse Suite on Oceania. So, in essence you get what you pay for, although I think HAL is a great value for my money. I would bring my children on a HAL cruise (in fact, they are 3 Star Mariners at 10 years old!), but I would not bring them on Oceania, as there is nothing for them to do (no Kids Club, all gourmet food, etc.) There were no children on the Oceania Caribbean cruise we were on last Winter.

The butler on the cruise was great! He brought us afternoon snacks every day, but you get to choose what you want. He/she leaves a list for you to choose from and then he brings what you choose later that day. He also got us into restaurants that we did not have reservations for...some of the restaurants are highly-sought after, so this helped. He was always at the ready for us.

Oceania does have some type of lounge like the Neptune Lounge...I think we went in there once, and it was not nearly as nice as the Neptune (which we love), and there wasn't a Concierge there, if I recall.

Oceania does not include alcohol (which wasn't a big deal to us, since we are not big drinkers), but does include water, juices, sodas, etc. etc. Oceania is a smaller ship and they have plenty of staff, so there was never a dirty dish left in front of you at the buffet (in fact, we thought they had TOO much staff, a lot of them looked like they were waiting for something to do!) and the buffet was far superior to any I've seen.

PLUS--the poolside grill features a Surf & Turf sandwich (again, still dream about this), with filet mignon & lobster on a roll with a great remoulade sauce, served with truffled parmesean french fries...this was very popular! Obviously, the food was a big deal for us, but the Penthouse Suite was incredible...beautifully decorated. The whole trip was just amazing...we hope to get back on another Oceania Cruise again at some point.

You will enjoy!! If you have any other questions, please post and I'll try & check back, right now...need to go eat lunch!! LOL!

Yes, the butler does more on Oceania than what the Neptune Lounge concierges provide. The Oceania website has the information for those interested enough to look there. I don't remember everything, but one service someone here is looking forward to is the unpacking and packing service.

Thanks Mary Ellen - I did know about the packing and unpacking service - but somehow I can't see me doing/asking for this service:eek: Somehow, this seems like something that I should do - a) I know where things are and can organize them how I want (unpacking). Unpacking takes little time and is kind of fun. Packing takes time because most of my clothes are clean - so I don't want them wrinkled. :D I have looked at the Oceania website for the butler service and perhaps in the wrong place but I didn't see that much extra other than this amenity which I don't think I would personally take advantage of. Thanks for the help

OP never mentions which Oceania ship is under consideration-- the original (R-class ) ships are very gemuetlich but cabins are small by the standards

of any of the big lines. If physical space is a consideration the new ships are considerably more spacious (at the cost of being much bigger, of course).

Oceania, while having friendly, attentive service has no concept of formality or structure--at the risk of showing my preconceived notions of British taste,

this might bother you more than it does the mostly American clientele.

Even without being British, I vote for the Prinsendam, if you can match your schedule to hers...

The Holiday 2012/13 cruise on Riviera had children and two nannies hired for them by Oceania. All children were well-behaved, none complained about the wrong brand of yoghurt, none put a white linen napkin in a bloody plate, none wanted the stores to be open on Christmas and none whined to the busdriver about it; the children were a delight!

I understand that Holland America always (?) has nannies aboard.

A serious problem with expensive cruise lines is that the passengers are marked as rich tourists at the port stops. I know of one case where the short taxi rides to town were over $500 when a very high-end cruise line paid a visit.

igraf

...Excursions were way overpriced on Oceania to the point that I felt they were gouging. They used the same vendors as the mass marketing lines but put a high premium of them without any benefit. ...

Archived