Packing - Rolling Clothes vs Folding

Saphire

My husband is the packer (and a great one!) but he is interested in knowing if anyone 'rolls' their clothes before packing. Supposedly they come out wrinkle free. Can anyone offer any insight? Thanks!

He's correct. I roll mine and they are wrinkle free for the most part. Let's say, fewer "folds" by rolling.

I've always pressed and folded things with a piece of tissue paper inside. Really does minimize those wrinkles. Till the time a family situation prevented me from packing - and I literally tossed everything into suitcases at the last minute and hoped for the best. It was then I discovered the true value of an onboard laundry and pressing package - though I was careful to not overwhelm the system all at once.

I also do both. What I did was I purchased 4 rolls of the plastic bags that they have in the grocery stores for produce at our restaurant supply store. I got 4,000 bags for around $25 and they are the perfect size for dress cotton shirts. They come out without any wrinkles. I originally bought them for obvious reasons as the owner of 3 dogs and I was tired of using used bags that had the occasional holes. This turned out to be one of the wisest purchases of my life.

I've always folded my clothes, using a combination of ziplock baggies and plastic cleaning bags and haven't had any problems. I'm wondering if you can role the clothing without the cleaning bags?

I do, Carol. Because I rarely take anything the dry cleaner anymore.

I tried rolling once and was not pleased with it. I put all our hanging clothes on dry cleaner hangers and cover with dry cleaner bags. If they require folding, I make as few folds as possible and I rarely find wrinkles in our clothes. The dry cleaner bags trap air and keep the garments from getting crushed.

I also do both. What I did was I purchased 4 rolls of the plastic bags that they have in the grocery stores for produce at our restaurant supply store. I got 4,000 bags for around $25 and they are the perfect size for dress cotton shirts. They come out without any wrinkles. I originally bought them for obvious reasons as the owner of 3 dogs and I was tired of using used bags that had the occasional holes. This turned out to be one of the wisest purchases of my life.

What a great idea! Where did you buy them?

I put every thing in zip lock bags with a address label on the bag. On my fresses,gowns I get tissue and a dress bagfold as little as possible and put this on topIf I need a extra suitcase I will use that for my gowns and extra shoes and bags. I put nothing in my suitcase withour a plastic bad or lable.

On any liquid I tripple bag it.

Travel with someone in Europe Bus tour he shampoo burst in suitcase and shampoo was all over her clothes.

Never tried the dry cleaner bags I think there are to thin

Mary

I put every thing in zip lock bags with a address label on the bag. On my fresses,gowns I get tissue and a dress bagfold as little as possible and put this on topIf I need a extra suitcase I will use that for my gowns and extra shoes and bags. I put nothing in my suitcase withour a plastic bad or lable.

On any liquid I tripple bag it.

Travel with someone in Europe Bus tour he shampoo burst in suitcase and shampoo was all over her clothes.

Never tried the dry cleaner bags I think there are to thin.

Mary

Dry cleaner bags will keep clothes wrinkle free. Used them for years on business trips. Usually put several dress shirts & a sportcoat/slacks on a single hanger with a dry cleaner bag over them. Works great.

I no longer pack with tissue paper or dry cleaning bags, though I know they work well. I fold bottoms (jeans, etc) as flat as possible, and roll tops (tee-shirts, turtlenecks, etc). I end up with some wrinkles, but nothing a little Downy Wrinkle Release can't fix. Sometimes I buy clothing from mail order just for the cruise, and will keep them in their original packaging. They just get tossed in flat. Other stuff gets shoved in to fill the crevices.

The real trick to avoid wrinkles is to keep clothing from shifting about too much. This is best accomplished by using appropriately-sized luggage. I see those enormous suitcases, and think, "how do they pack that full, and still lift it?"

Innlady1, I went to a local restaurant supply house and bought a box of 4 rolls. They are perfect for shoes, shirts, whatever. They weigh nothing and take up no space. If you don't have a restaurant supply house near you, maybe your local market could get them for you. The box is heavy so I don't think you could get them online since I would imagine shipping costs would be high. I wonder if Costco or BJ's might carry them.

I fold my cloths when I pack. Over the years I've boughten cloths that don't wrinkle so much. I also bring along Wrinkle Release which works well. I find in most cases, that once you unpack and get thing hung, the wrinkles seem to just hang out.:D

...and, you can also hang them in the shower and the wrinkles will come out!

Innlady1, I went to a local restaurant supply house and bought a box of 4 rolls. They are perfect for shoes, shirts, whatever. They weigh nothing and take up no space. If you don't have a restaurant supply house near you, maybe your local market could get them for you. The box is heavy so I don't think you could get them online since I would imagine shipping costs would be high. I wonder if Costco or BJ's might carry them.

I have to make a run to BJ's so I will check. And, also ask the manager at Stop and Shop if I can buy some.

Thanks so much!

Just a different twist. When we travel, I use my dive bag ( duffle bag style) to stuff underwear,sox,bathing suits,shoes,sandals or anything you dont have to be concerned about wrinkling.

Leaves more room available in standard suitcase to neatly pack articles you want in decent shape when you unpack.

For a 2 week trip,we usually only need 2 rolling carry on style cases,the dive bag,and one standard size rolling suitcase.

If you fly southwest...all those fly free!

Bon voyage

I fold.

I use the dry cleaning bags that I save from each trip to the dry cleaners.

I have sweater and comfort bags that I keep all our underwear, DH's socks, etc. in for flying. And we all also use the sweater bags to keep our underwear in for the ship. Just slide out of the suitcase and into the drawer on the ship -- and I know that our clean underwear is not touching anything dirty in the drawers.

Archived