Royal Princess lifeboats - deck 10 (Caribe)

sully108

As is the case with most new builds these days, the lifeboats are not fully recessed into the side of the ship. They do extend out over the edge of the deck a bit so that you will not (depending on the exact location of you balcony) be able to see the water making contact with the side of the hull. If your balcony stateroom is amidship, or you are lucky enough to be positioned between lifeboats, be able to see the frothy action as the water makes its way down the side of the ship. In most other cases you will have a clear view of 'not quite straight down' and out towards the horizon.

For those folks booked in balcony cabins on Emerald Deck the lifeboats and davits will be an obstruction if you are sitting down in a chair but should be able to see out over the top of the lifeboats while standing up.

This view is from the starboard side Deck 15 at the Skywalk

8360945250_0e1f5462a6_z.jpg

Emerald Deck balconies and lifeboat/davit positioning

8369089525_07c195b88c_o.jpg

Edited by dmwnc1959

As is the case with most new builds these days, the lifeboats are not fully recessed into the side of the ship. They do extend out over the edge of the deck a bit so that you will not (depending on the exact location of you balcony) be able to see the water making contact with the side of the hull.

So, it looks as if most of the balcony and mini-suite cabins on the sides of the ship will not have a view of the water directly below. To me, but not to Princess, these should be lower in the category hierarchy.

So, it looks as if most of the balcony and mini-suite cabins on the sides of the ship will not have a view of the water directly below. To me, but not to Princess, these should be lower in the category hierarchy.

Straight down, absolutely straight down, no. At the exact point of contact where the water touches the hull, and for a few feet out from there at the waterline only, will you not be able to see that. However, you WILL be able to see the rest of the ocean quite well.

And I thought cabin classifications were based on amenities, size of the cabin, upgraded services, and most desirable location, not based on the 'view' of the waterline.

;)

Edited by dmwnc1959

And I thought cabin classifications were based on amenities, size of the cabin, upgraded services, and most desirable location, not based on the 'view' of the waterline.

For the same type cabin, it uis based on most desirable location. At least what Princess thinks is most desirable.

That is one of the reasons Princess is reclassifying all the cabins this spring. They figured out their old definition of most desirable was not the same as the passengers' definition.

For the same type cabin, it is based on most desirable location. At least what Princess thinks is most desirable.

That is one of the reasons Princess is reclassifying all the cabins this spring. They figured out their old definition of most desirable was not the same as the passengers' definition.

I always though most passengers preferred more amidships locations unless they were specifically booking aft view accommodations. Thus the need to reclassify categories into easier understandable blocks of cabins like amidship, then forward/aft of amidship, then all the way front or back.

Edited by dmwnc1959

I always though most passengers preferred more amidships locations unless they were specifically booking aft view accommodations. Thus the need to reclassify categories into easier understandable blocks of cabins like amidship, then forward/aft of amidship, then all the way front or back.

Which is what the new categories reflect.

The old categories were also easy to understand, but did not reflect what the passengers considered better.

The old categories basically said higher up was better, so a category included midship on a deck and then forward and aft on the next higher deck. The new categories say forward and aft are not so good, no matter which deck, other than the coveted rear facing cabins.

I don't think most of the balcony and mini-suite cabins on the sides of ANY of the ships have a view of the water directly below. The lifeboats on all of them seem to be arranged pretty much the same. The difference with Royal is that the cabins on Emerald deck - directly behind the lifeboats - are obstructed oceanview balconies not just obstructed oceanview windows - - so you can step outside and see the side of a lifeboat instead of just through a window. The view directly down from decks 9 and above should be pretty much the same on Royal as any other ship.

• 3 years later...

This video might help to understand better where the lifeboats are.

Several cabins on the Emerald deck (deck 8) are partly obstructed by the lifeboats.

All other decks above that have unobstructed views looking straight out. As far as I can tell you will see some of an obstruction looking straight down being it an other balcony, a light post, a lifeboat or something else.

To have a look at the obstructions on deck 8 (Emerald deck) you can click here

https://sites.google.com/site/royalregalprincess/home/8-emerald

Theo