QE2 sold to Singapore as floating hotel

southwestie

Good news as far as it goes, but the published details still make the future look quite shaky to me. Oceanic are not buying outright but leasing at yearly rates with an option to buy in 10 years. Presumably the move to dry dock will be the first stage in assessing the true costs of the long-term plans to convert to a luxury hotel or other tourist attraction, and if the figures don't add up the arrangement won't proceed. It has been reported that several yards were consulted to assess scrap value, which presumably fed into the calculations of what Dubai were prepared to accept up front - reportedly a fairly insignificant $1m for the first year's lease. Let's hope this plan doesn't go pear-shaped in the next year or scrapping looks like the only option.

Let me just say this Carnival (because Cunard no longer really exists) would have never backed the QE2 London plan. They were glad to see her go and in my view did not want her back in England as in some way be would competition to their “so called” Queens. A they stated in their fluff PR statement “proper send off in 2008” really equated to a boost of cash for Carnival. QE2 is still a registered trademark of Carnival Corporation (this is form their website) and I believe they had the final vote for her future.

TRADE MARKS. BRITANNIA, CARONIA, CONNOISSEUR COLLECTION, CUNARD CARE, CUNARD CONNEXIONS, CUNARD WHITE STAR SERVICE, CUNARD WORLD CLUB, ILLUMINATIONS, MAURETANIA, QE2, QM2, QUEEN ELIZABETH 2, QUEEN MARY 2, QUEEN VICTORIA, THE CUNARDER, THE MOST FAMOUS OCEAN LINERS IN THE WORLD, QV, A ROYAL RENDEZVOUS, MEETING OF THE QUEENS, the St Edward’s Crown logo, and WHITE STAR are licensed to or are registered service marks or trademarks of, Carnival plc.

Carnival really doesn’t not care about history. They only throw the word around to enhance the Cunard brand. I sailed the new Queens and still not impressed. They do not have a “personality or soul” and will never have the history QE2 has.

In regards to QE2 future, it is still uncertain and I agree with others I have to see it to believe. My first concern is not the color of the new carpet it is her safety. Unless a shipyard crew from Europe (e.g. Hamburg) Dubai has no real dry docking expertise for a passenger vessel to make her sea worthy again. Given the track record of those involved (old and new players) I am not impressed and worried about their management decisions, all smoke and mirrors. If they had a solid business a final port would be secure, not up in the air between HK or Singapore.

All I can say at tonight is God save the Queen. This is not a statement, but prayer.

I had thought that they had a 'skeleton crew' aboard maintaining her to some extent since arriving at Dubai. And occasionally we have seen some video's of smoke from her stack. Just wondering if she is seaworthy to sail under her own power....

I bet they could readily fill the ship with paying passengers if they could carry them on her voyage to her drydocking and on to Singapore or where ever......

I had thought that they had a 'skeleton crew' aboard maintaining her to some extent since arriving at Dubai. And occasionally we have seen some video's of smoke from her stack. Just wondering if she is seaworthy to sail under her own power....

I bet they could readily fill the ship with paying passengers if they could carry them on her voyage to her drydocking and on to Singapore or where ever......

Not a chance that ship would be filled with passenger until she is declared sea worthy. The insurance risk alone would be astronomical. According to reports, it will take 3 months before she can set sail safely.

Yes, I also read reports that there was a skeleton crew on board, but more recently that they were discharged. Many conflicting reports. Skeptical I remain.

Many a ship has been lost while under tow.:eek:

Ah. Yes.

But with such well publicized plans, artists renditions, websites, etcetera, etcetera, it would be hard to accept this particular ship being lost while under tow, especially since so many are carefully following.

It would be very unforuntate indeed if this ship were to be lost whilst under tow, or any other inexplicable incident that warranted investigation.

"... The ship “will be moved today (Thursday) to Drydocks World Dubai for undertaking classification checks prior to her renovation as a luxury floating hotel,” said the statement by Drydocks World, a maritime holding company belonging to the Dubai government." quoted from http://english.alarabiya.net/articles/2013/01/18/261123.html

Let me just say this Carnival (because Cunard no longer really exists) would have never backed the QE2 London plan. They were glad to see her go and in my view did not want her back in England as in some way be would competition to their “so called” Queens. A they stated in their fluff PR statement “proper send off in 2008” really equated to a boost of cash for Carnival. QE2 is still a registered trademark of Carnival Corporation (this is form their website) and I believe they had the final vote for her future.

TRADE MARKS. BRITANNIA, CARONIA, CONNOISSEUR COLLECTION, CUNARD CARE, CUNARD CONNEXIONS, CUNARD WHITE STAR SERVICE, CUNARD WORLD CLUB, ILLUMINATIONS, MAURETANIA, QE2, QM2, QUEEN ELIZABETH 2, QUEEN MARY 2, QUEEN VICTORIA, THE CUNARDER, THE MOST FAMOUS OCEAN LINERS IN THE WORLD, QV, A ROYAL RENDEZVOUS, MEETING OF THE QUEENS, the St Edward’s Crown logo, and WHITE STAR are licensed to or are registered service marks or trademarks of, Carnival plc.

Carnival really doesn’t not care about history. They only throw the word around to enhance the Cunard brand. I sailed the new Queens and still not impressed. They do not have a “personality or soul” and will never have the history QE2 has.

In regards to QE2 future, it is still uncertain and I agree with others I have to see it to believe. My first concern is not the color of the new carpet it is her safety. Unless a shipyard crew from Europe (e.g. Hamburg) Dubai has no real dry docking expertise for a passenger vessel to make her sea worthy again. Given the track record of those involved (old and new players) I am not impressed and worried about their management decisions, all smoke and mirrors. If they had a solid business a final port would be secure, not up in the air between HK or Singapore.

All I can say at tonight is God save the Queen. This is not a statement, but prayer.

You are 100% correct, Cunard would have faded into oblivion if it wasnt for Carnival CORP stepping in. You should thank Carnival CORP for still having something to complain about

I have to echo Avalon1025. Cunard would have gone the way of The French Line had Carnival not stepped in. Each of Carnival's lines was allowed to maintain their individual identities while under the successful guidance of a profitable corporation. They are the hero and not the villain. You are mistaken if you think that Cunard could survive at the same level in these times for what they are charging. QE2 was taken out of service because she was too expensive to operate and to maintain proper safety. I think it is fitting to repurpose her as a hotel. Lets hope it is more successful than the Queen Mary.

Some people say that Cunard 'doesn't exist' anymore because it was bought out by another corporation.

This being the case, here are some other brands/companies that no longer 'exist'.

U.S.A examples

http://www.cnbc.com/id/48216485/ForeignOwned_America

U.K examples

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/6396381/10-foreign-takeovers-of-UK-companies-in-the-past-decade.html

Many famous shipping lines have always been owned by a larger company, even the white star line was owned by the International Mercantile Marine Co. For most of its lifetime before being merged with Cunard..

To say that a company 'no longer exists' if its owned by someone else is not correct.

Don't most of the lines owned by Carnival still have their own headquarters, CEO's and look after their own operations? Carnival is just the parent company.. Eg: mum and dad with all the money lol

What is Cunard or any other company? It is a brand and the people that work within it. I cruised on the old Franconia before Cunard was owned by Carnival. For the most part the total experience is about the same. Overall I prefer the older style ships (cabins on lower decks, public rooms up) but I'm extremely grateful that Cunard exists in its current form rather than relegated to the history books. I've had nothing but a great time, every time.

You are 100% correct, Cunard would have faded into oblivion if it wasnt for Carnival CORP stepping in. You should thank Carnival CORP for still having something to complain about

Being both a diamond member and a stock holder, yes I do have lot to complain about. Have you ever sailed QE2 or Cunard before it became a brand? Even Peter Shanks refers to Cunard as a brand and not a company - it that his faux pas? I think the word "brand" in this interview was mentioned three to four times in the first minute.

This makes no sense! The Cunard web site says that she is docked in Fort Lauderdale! And she is only two years old! Why would they get rid of a ship so soon? Was she unpopular or plagued with problems?

I think you must be confusing the Queen Elizabeth 2 (QE2) which is the subject of this thread with the Queen Elizabeth (QE). The QE2 was retired from the Cunard fleet in 2008 and has been in Dubai since then. The QE is the latest addition to the Cunard fleet and was indeed in Fort Lauderdale today, one of the stops on her 2013 World Voyage. There are certainly no plans to retire the QE any time soon and turn her into a floating hotel.

Regards,

John.

I'm putting my money on Hong Kong rather than Singapore.

Of course, comparisons with Queen Elizabeth/Seawise University are inevitable.

If it happens, I agree. Hong Kong would probably draw a lot more QE2 fans than Singapore would, and for sure more than Dubai ever would have...

Archived