The Snails are Back..The Snails are back!!!!

Express Man

I think I just threw up in my mouth:rolleyes: lol. Never tried them before. I love most seafood, ie; scallops, clams, lobster, shrimp. Taste and consistency similar to any of these?

very similiar in consistency to mussels but usually prepared with garlic. Yummy..... even my 11 yo grandson can't get enough!

You can purchase these in a can at your local grocery store. I serve mine on broiled mushroom caps smothered in garlic butter with a squeeze of lemon at the end. Yum

I don't know where you live, but there are no local grocery stores in southern WV that have snails. Doubt any of the specialty stores in the area carry them. :)

My 6 year old loved them. It was a couple of cruises ago when he was 4 or 5.

yay, escargots! I found them in a huge can - like 80 snails - at a local seafood market in Jacksonville, Florida. We had a lot of fun cooking them up a bunch of different ways.

I'm glad they're back on the ships, though, I love it best when someone cooks them for me =)

I don't know where you live' date=' but there are no local grocery stores in southern WV that have snails. Doubt any of the specialty stores in the area carry them. :)

My 6 year old loved them. It was a couple of cruises ago when he was 4 or 5.[/quote']

You can buy anything on Amazon now! Try it, they are super easy to fix and just as yummy as on the ship, (I'm sure they use canned snails too). If you want to get all fancy you can purchase the empty shells separately and serve in those, or go on Ebay and find a vintage escargot plate and tongs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-4-vintage-Ceramic-Escargot-Mushroom-Baking-Dishes-/330858026610?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d08acd672

http://www.amazon.com/Saveurs-Helix-Escargot-18-count-weight/dp/B001EQ5MCA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358451111&sr=8-2&keywords=escargot

I think I just threw up in my mouth:rolleyes: lol. Never tried them before. I love most seafood, ie; scallops, clams, lobster, shrimp. Taste and consistency similar to any of these?

Not similar. They are soft and covered in garlic butter. Dip the bread in the garlic butter. YUM!

I don't know where you live' date=' but there are no local grocery stores in southern WV that have snails. Doubt any of the specialty stores in the area carry them. :)

My 6 year old loved them. It was a couple of cruises ago when he was 4 or 5.[/quote']

We have them here in Vermont, next to the canned tuna!

They remind me a lot of poorly butchered octopus (which is most of it- the sushi place we go has the tenderest octopus I've ever had by a long, long shot) or overcooked shrimp, texture-wise. Taste-wise, they're like tofu- they taste like the sauce, so butter, garlic and Pernod.

very similiar in consistency to mussels but usually prepared with garlic. Yummy..... even my 11 yo grandson can't get enough!

If the mussels have the same texture, they're grossly overcooked.

Archived