TA from San Juan

I saw a price of $299 inside for an 11 day TA from San Juan to Lisbon. Is there a reason for such an incredibly low price? Expensive airfare, lousy ship, "interesting passengers", etc? I'm thinking it is because Americans can't drive to this port. Am I correct?

I saw a price of $299 inside for an 11 day TA from San Juan to Lisbon. Is there a reason for such an incredibly low price? Expensive airfare, lousy ship, "interesting passengers", etc? I'm thinking it is because Americans can't drive to this port. Am I correct?

First, TA's can be cheaper than other cruises, especially if they don't have many ports and/or the ports are not unusual. Second, as you mentioned, airfare to San Juan is generally more expensive. Third, you've got to get back from Europe, and those one-way flights can be expensive too.

We are on a repo cruise from San Juan to Baltimore. The one way air to SJU is running $120-$140 pp right now from the Baltimore and Washington area.

Get a one way to SJU and book the one way back from Europe with Choice Air. I have not used them yet. But, I hear they have better prices on the one way fares from Europe. At least check it out.

I would definitely check Choice Air. I just booked air for 2 adults . Toronto to Fort Lauderdale and Barcelona back to Toronto. $1360 total with all taxes in. I could not come anywhere near that through other sites.

Did the TA from Southampton to Ft. Lauderdale last Sep. GS was $2100 per person ($1050 per week per person). That is remarkably cheap for a GS. But.... it's expensive to travel. Having said that, I think the TA is cheaper as it has few port stops (we had 4, so it wasn't too bad). The passenger make up was..... sort of....HAL'ish (we are 60 and brought the average age down, may have been time of year). But the ship has to go so anyone they get onboard is extra revenue. Since it's so many at sea days you'll probably spend more on the ship. TA's are usually great deals. They are great cruises if you love being at sea (I do). We combined it with a week in London so for us it was a nice way to return without being cooped up in an airplane for 9 hours.

Plan to do an Australia to Hawaii reposition one day. Will combine it with time in Australia and have to only fly one way.

If this is the Brilliance April 13th TA it is a 10 night which technically gives 11 days on the ship but has only two ports on route, St. Thomas and St. Martin, both of which are in the Caribbean which would make it less attractive for those who cruise a lot in that area thus the low price offering.

Last Spring we did a 15 night Caribbean Princess TA from SJ with, IMO, four more interesting ports (NYC, Halifax, Dublin and Glasgow) and we got the best category extra large (approx. 200 sq.ft.) deck 14 inside for $499 each. Even at very low prices the ship was only 2/3 full and the two lowest passenger decks, 5 and 8, were closed off for that sailing. All of the OV cabins are on these two decks so all on our roll call with OV bookings got upgraded to balcony cabins and a lot of inside and balcony bookings were upgraded. It was a great way for us to get to the UK to visit with family and friends. It was the second time we've used a TA to get to the UK. FYI our flight from Buffalo to SJ was just $127US each. Return Birmingham to Toronto was around $450. We were gone five weeks as we also stayed on the CB to do the next 12 night British Isles cruise so had my sister and her partner drop us off and pick us up at airports we left/return to.

The first TA cruise we did was on Celebrity Century from Barcelona to Miami with six great ports the first week, all of which we had not visited in our four previous Med. cruises. These were the Mediterranean ports of Cartagena and Gibraltar, Casablanca and Agadir (Morocco) and Lanzarote and La Palma in the Canary Islands. We first booked a highest category inside for the equivalent at the time of $450US total (inc.T&F) each and were able to upgrade to an aft corner Family Veranda for about $600 each total about four weeks out. This cruise was actually booked in Euros so that's why I have to include T&F in the price. Again even at these low pricing this cruise had lots of cabin availability before sailing. When we upgraded to our FV we had the choice of around 14 of the total 18 FV cabins.

We once did a repositioning 15 night RC cruise from Valparaiso (Santiago) Chile to San Diego in a D1 balcony cabin for $549 each with our C&A Diamond balcony discount. It had eight great port stops.

I also want to add we got good deals on the open jaw flights we needed for these TA and repositioning cruises.

We booked this months ago and cant believe how low the prices are now. We hope some of our local friends join us since the prices are so low. Airfare Tampa to San Juan $92 and best i found when we booked Lisbon to Tampa $700.

If you do decide to go make sure you check out the Meet & Mingle thread.

http://http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1731188

Archived