Why do other loyal CC'rs act as if NCL is economy class?

NH Cruisers

I have sailed a few different cruise lines. I liked all of them. I do have my favorites (lines and Ships). To me the cruise lines are a lot more similar than different. I read on these boards how Celebrity, Princess and HAL are premium lines. RCCL, Carnival and NCL are mass market. They are all mass market IMO. I been on all those stated. I liked them all, and truth be told I like the RCCL ships most. I liked Celebrity's Aqua class Blu resturant main dinning the best. But NCL, they are the cruise line of specialty dinning. You can't beat them. Also they are so friendly. The other lines I like too, but I love eating and having fun. NCL has me for now. Why do folks on the other CC boards have no respect for NCL? I feel they have an excellent product. I just needed to vent, seeing all the negativity toward NCL and all. I can't wait to sail on a Breakaway class ship in the future.

Jon

I had many CCers basically tell me they were either the Walmart or Motel 6 of cruising. Needless to say, that was not my experience on my first NCL cruise, and we've done 2 since then.

What I discovered is most that say those things have never sailed NCL, and especially not since Freestyle made it's debut. They are simply repeating what they've heard/read others say, who have also not cruise NCL. The crews are simply the friendliest at sea. I met a cruiser 2 weeks ago who'd cruised all the other mass-marketed lines as well, and he agreed. It was his first NCL cruise, and he said he'd be back.

My line of thinking is - let them keep thinking that! Keeps the cost of my cruises on NCL lower.

Im sorry any cruisline that allows people to wear shorts in the MDR is a below Celebrity and Princess

Ncl is on par with CCL but I still think it is a step below Rccl as well

We have just finished our 6th NCL cruise and I find the service and the food continues to improve. I find NCL innovative and I have seen them send people away from the main dining room at dinner time for wearing shorts. It is clear in the daily that shorts are not allowed in the main dinning room at dinner time. I just cruised with someone who had spent 73 days on Princess ships and said they would never go on another Princess ship again. I guess with so many cruise lines out there there is something for everyone.

I see a lot less negativity here and elsewhere about NCL, than I do see with regard to Carnival.

While, I have booked a different line from Carnival for my next cruise (NCL), Im not writing Carnival off for the future either.

Personally I cant compare till after my NCL cruise next fall, but I have a feeling I will like NCL a lot more because of their entertainment options, and is the biggest reason why I felt I needed to try a different line.

But still I have to say, that I have had some awesome cruises on Carnival, and it annoys me to no end when people look at me and say " You like Carnival????" Yes I do like them. And Im sure I will like NCL too, albeit for different reasons.

Im annoyed by those attitudes, but Im still trying to ignore them. Just go for what you like and know you like and disregard the hoity toities, who need to put your choice of cruiseline down.

Do I need to tell them that they are travelling on a stodgy or hoity toity snobby cruise line? No because either I dont have personal experience or it has been ten years since I sailed with that line. But I have better manners than to knock their choice of line.

Yes I cruise Carnival and NCL, but I do have better manners than to knock others choices of vacation whether I have been there or not. I do get very annoyed though by those hoity toities who seem to have the need to put other's choices down.

Im sorry any cruisline that allows people to wear shorts in the MDR is a below Celebrity and Princess

whats wrong with shorts in the MDR? I wear shorts in the MDR guess what Im on vacation..

I am so disagreeing. I live in Texas and I have dined with millionaires wearing nice shorts to dinner.

For a lot of people, vacation is about choice and comfort and not dressing up.

Just like in freestyle, other lunes seem to follow NCL's lead. I read Crystal, while still dressier has loosened its dress code.

I put my NCL cruises, and I have cruised outside and full suite, waaaay over RCL and Carnival. Celebrity is my second choice.

Maybe because NCL offers such a wide array of choices, from inside to GV, it appeals to many types of people with many degrees of wants and needs, vacation styles and bank accounts. The cruise experience of PAX A and PAX B can very substantially. So, I don't care what anyone labels NCL. Let em keep their nose in the air and I hope they stay the heck away.

Why do you care what others are wearing? I never did understand that. I also don't understand how that can make a cruise line "below" others. We have sailed all of these lines, and enjoy them all. They each have something that we enjoyed more than other lines... On Celebrity it was the food quality, On Royal the Ships them selves were more inovative and more active, on Princess we like the MUTS at night with popcorn, On Carnival when we were younger we liked the "party" style... On NCl we like that the overall experience most fits our style... We enjoy the "freestyle" concept (while you can kinda get it by doing anytime dining on other lines- NCL just excels at it) and we really love the suites and the service that comes with them. For now, that has us coming back to NCL if they have an itenarary that we are interested in- if not- we look to other lines too.

No matter what you choose, someone will be there to look down on you and think their choice is superior. Much like those who look down on people who "just" cruise to the Bahamas or other Caribbean locations, "just" take a 3-day cruise, "just" stay in inside cabins/oceanview/balconies, or blah blah blah. Some just enjoy looking down on others.

The simple reason it makes others fell like their cruiseline of choice is superior. The fact is over the last ten years they have all become more alike then different. For years before billions in investment NCL was a ragtag fleet of little white ships competing on price. Today it has the newest fleet of any of the main stream lines with more to offer then most. RCCL, Princess, Celebrity, HAL, or Carnival can not compete with NCL's suite life. Those that disparage NCL are living in the past.

whats wrong with shorts in the MDR? I wear shorts in the MDR guess what Im on vacation..

DUde if you wear shorts for dinner cool

What a man wears is his own choice.

I wont wear shorts in the MDR even on NCL

Maybe it was they way I was raised or my Military background. Each to their own.

Since you have only sailed on NCL you may be on vacation but certain cruiselines dont allow them

Celebrity, Princess besides HAL have dress code that doesnt allow certain clothes in the MDR.

While I commend NCL on its freestyle concept it also started the dumming down of attire on the mass market cruiselines.

BTW I am booked on the Epic again so I guess it doesnt bother me that much

Just a thought: I think a distinction between the Carnival, NCL, RC group and the Princess, HAL, Celebrity group could be as simple as things like enrichment classes.

In five cruises in the first group, I've seen no "classes" that weren't aimed at the cruise line making money. In one cruise involving the last group (a Princess cruise to the Mexican Riviera in 2007), there were several classes that were actually useful. A Spanish class sticks out in my mind as truly useful without making a dime for the cruise line.

On Carnival, NHL and RC, they rarely open their mouths except to sell something. With the others, maybe they tell you something just because it's interesting? This difference makes me want to spend a few extra bucks to try out these lines.

Again, this is just a raw thought and not a carefully formulated opinion.

Jim

I have sailed a few different cruise lines. I liked all of them. I do have my favorites (lines and Ships). To me the cruise lines are a lot more similar than different. I read on these boards how Celebrity, Princess and HAL are premium lines. RCCL, Carnival and NCL are mass market. They are all mass market IMO. I been on all those stated. I liked them all, and truth be told I like the RCCL ships most. I liked Celebrity's Aqua class Blu resturant main dinning the best. But NCL, they are the cruise line of specialty dinning. You can't beat them. Also they are so friendly. The other lines I like too, but I love eating and having fun. NCL has me for now. Why do folks on the other CC boards have no respect for NCL? I feel they have an excellent product. I just needed to vent, seeing all the negativity toward NCL and all. I can't wait to sail on a Breakaway class ship in the future.

Jon

Since Carnival took over Princess, Princess has declined dramatically. No way would I classify Princess as a premium line. Once upon a time, yes ... but now? No way. As for a budget line, I'd really only put Carnival in that class. Royal, Princess, and NCL are all on par with each other.

Why do you care what others are wearing? I never did understand that. I also don't understand how that can make a cruise line "below" others. We have sailed all of these lines, and enjoy them all. They each have something that we enjoyed more than other lines... On Celebrity it was the food quality, On Royal the Ships them selves were more inovative and more active, on Princess we like the MUTS at night with popcorn, On Carnival when we were younger we liked the "party" style... On NCl we like that the overall experience most fits our style... We enjoy the "freestyle" concept (while you can kinda get it by doing anytime dining on other lines- NCL just excels at it) and we really love the suites and the service that comes with them. For now, that has us coming back to NCL if they have an itenarary that we are interested in- if not- we look to other lines too.

I really love MUTS on Princess. I wish more lines would do this.

Maybe it was they way I was raised or my Military background. Each to their own.

Since you have only sailed on NCL you may be on vacation but certain cruiselines dont allow them

Celebrity, Princess besides HAL have dress code that doesnt allow certain clothes in the MDR.

While I commend NCL on its freestyle concept it also started the dumming down of attire on the mass market cruiselines.

The attire of "mass market" cruiselines has declined for a long, long time ... well before NCL came along. The first cruise I ever took, the standard attire would be comparable to formal night attire - every single night of the cruise. RCCL allows jeans in the MDR, as does NCL. I do not know of any cruise line that allows shorts, other than the first night for obvious reasons.

Yes, and when I began working in an office we ladies wore stockings every day and there were no casual fridays. Things change.

Jon

I will be honest and say that I used to think NCL was lesser than RCCL and Carnival. I don't even know why I had that opinion...I guess I was just really unfamiliar with the whole freestyle thing. The more I read reviews and threads on here, the more I think it's very similar to the other lines. I'm really excited to sail on the Gem in June!

I will be honest and say that I used to think NCL was lesser than RCCL and Carnival. I don't even know why I had that opinion...I guess I was just really unfamiliar with the whole freestyle thing. The more I read reviews and threads on here, the more I think it's very similar to the other lines. I'm really excited to sail on the Gem in June!

And I always thought the exact opposite, and don't know why either. We never considered NCL, I guess I thought the cruises would be more expensive, because it is a smaller company. I was "cruising" the web, looking for something that went to Aruba in December. Carnival had the Christmas cruise, not an option, Princess and RCI both had good itineraries. We were close to booking the Princess cruise, and for some reason, (and I'm really glad I did!), I checked NCL, found a great itinerary on the Sun, with the cost of a balcony similar to an inside cabin on the other 2 lines. We booked it immediately! Of course, after booking, now I've been doing the research, but I really think NCL will fit us just fine! In fact, I'm already looking at other cruises on NCL!

And I always thought the exact opposite, and don't know why either. We never considered NCL, I guess I thought the cruises would be more expensive, because it is a smaller company. I was "cruising" the web, looking for something that went to Aruba in December. Carnival had the Christmas cruise, not an option, Princess and RCI both had good itineraries. We were close to booking the Princess cruise, and for some reason, (and I'm really glad I did!), I checked NCL, found a great itinerary on the Sun, with the cost of a balcony similar to an inside cabin on the other 2 lines. We booked it immediately! Of course, after booking, now I've been doing the research, but I really think NCL will fit us just fine! In fact, I'm already looking at other cruises on NCL!

The Sun is my favorite ship. I will be back on in March. I hope you find her charming as well.

NCL and CCL do

NCL does not allow shorts in the larger main dining room. We got off the Dawn last week, and we stopped by after a show for dinner, not even thinking that my daughter had shorts on (they were fancy sequined shorts that looked like a skirt, but shorts none-the-less). She was not allowed in with the shorts, so we were all seated and ordered drinks while she went back to room to change. I believe shorts were allowed in the smaller main dining room but we never had shorts on again at dinner time so it didn't come up.

Archived